Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Polarbear2008
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-07-2013, 07:45 PM

Teeth cleaning...

I feed Bailiie kibble which I'm very happy with, and have no plans to change this. I also clean her teeth using a finger brush almost every day but definitely 5 days a week.
I sometimes struggle getting to the back teeth, more on the right side of her mouth as opposed to the left, and I'm a little concerned I may not be cleaning them enough
I've noticed a couple of teeth that have tiny brown marks on them and as much as I don't want to feed a raw diet, I keep reading that frozen raw chicken wings do a great cleaning job.
If I was to give her a wing, would one wing a week be enough just for the purpose of teeth cleaning, or would she need more? I don't plan to stop cleaning her teeth myself as she actually comes to me now to have them done and she doesn't mind me doing it but I want her to have good teeth all her life, or as best as I can look after them for her.

I'm thinking she could have a wing at a weekend as a treat (for a purpose obviously ) and if I go this way, is there a best way to introduce them?

It actually scares me to think of giving her bones but I understand there are probably benefits if done right. She does have raw carrots which I believe are good for many things but I'm not sure this is enough.

I look forward to any comments and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance

Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2013, 08:17 PM
Isn't it a pain when you think you are doing everything possible, and STILL those teeth show signs of tartar appearing.

I will just give my thoughts, and I am sure others will come along to agree or contradict!!

First of all.....bones. An old vet once told me "feed them every day or not at all".
If you did decide to try them, then choose as big a specimen of bone as possible and supervise your dog at all times; any sign of him being able to crack a piece off then remove the bone. I would say that chicken wings would be the same, except of course the wing will be chewed and swallowed; not sure that one a week is either going to make any impression on the teeth, nor be very safe given that he is not used to eating them on a regular basis.

There are huge arguments for and against feeding raw, including chicken wings......and whilst it works well for many dogs, for others it can lead to a vet visit.

I would never give pigs ears, hide chews, or similar.....I nearly lost a dog which swallowed a large piece of ear and it caused a blockage.

The one thing that so many people that I meet seem to enthuse about is the stag bar.
Polarbear2008
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-07-2013, 08:57 PM
Thank you Bitkin.
Bailiie has stag bars too but doesn't chew them all the time They are available to her whenever she fancies but its not something she's really taken to. This bone thing does worry me I have to say.
Maybe I'll have a chat with my vet and see what she thinks or suggests

Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2013, 09:13 PM
I always think that in the end, the vet is the best person to ask!! Mind you, depending on the vet, they may secretly want the tartar to build up so that they can charge you for removing it Only joking, I think.

I am so sorry, I refered to Bailiie as a he, and she is a she

If she is not bothered about stag bars, then something safe but tasty definitely needs to be discovered. Good luck anyway
Jacsicle
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-07-2013, 10:06 PM
Just a note on stag bars, I heard something recently about tooth damage from chewing them...someone might find the article I can't remember where I read it now.
Vicky88
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-07-2013, 04:08 PM
Holly has plaque off on her food. She also has filled bones and hooves and a chicken legs, i don't give her wings too small for my liking with a dog her size anyway. These all help.

Holly hates her stag bar. I think she chewed on it the first time i gave it to her, and she has picked it up twice since then, i gave it to her in January!.
Laurabehjet
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-07-2013, 08:16 PM
Try fallow deer antlers instead of stagbars.
Much softer, Penelope loves hers.

She doesn't chew on her stagbars much, she prefers to throw them about.

I get them from www.ecodogcompany.co.uk
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2013, 06:49 AM
It is difficult to get it right! I give mine the occasional chicken wing but one will always throw it back up, however much I make him crunch it up first! Be careful with weight-bearing bones as they will be more likely to splinter. I always hold the ends of the wings until they have broken them up, partly to make sure they don't just swallow them whole, which would defeat the object! A vet nurse friend of mine never feeds raw chicken because of the dangers of salmonella.

I have heard that stagbars are too hard (just like bone) and have caused some teeth to fracture. I do give mine pigs ears and hooves seems to be good as they can't break off such large pieces (do smell though).