Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lindgren
New Member!
Male 

07-07-2013, 11:40 PM

Diarrhea-new food- now not eating

I have an eight year old golden. 3 weeks ago he had bad diarrhea for almost 2 weeks; couldn't make it outside which has never happened.

Took him to the vet and they put him on new food. Normally he scarfs down his food to the point of choking but now he eats half and comes back to it later. He is getting kinda skinny now from eating less.

Besides the food behavior everything seems normal. Wags his tail, still wants to go for walks, comes when hes called, hops in the pool to cool down, etc...

A side note, he stinks more than usual. dont know if he is rolling in something daily but a shower hasn't helped. Also, he chewed a tin can up and I found a small piece of tin in his stool...

Anybody have a clue what might be going on?
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2013, 12:15 AM
Originally Posted by Lindgren View Post
I have an eight year old golden. 3 weeks ago he had bad diarrhea for almost 2 weeks; couldn't make it outside which has never happened.

Took him to the vet and they put him on new food. Normally he scarfs down his food to the point of choking but now he eats half and comes back to it later. He is getting kinda skinny now from eating less.

Besides the food behavior everything seems normal. Wags his tail, still wants to go for walks, comes when hes called, hops in the pool to cool down, etc...

A side note, he stinks more than usual. dont know if he is rolling in something daily but a shower hasn't helped. Also, he chewed a tin can up and I found a small piece of tin in his stool...

Anybody have a clue what might be going on?
I advise you take him to your vet without delay. Especially as you suspect he has ingested sharp foreign objects.
Lindgren
New Member!
Male 

08-07-2013, 01:13 AM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
I advise you take him to your vet without delay. Especially as you suspect he has ingested sharp foreign objects.
We already brought him to the vet. they checked his anus, stool, etc and found nothing. He IS going back to the vet if swapping him to his original food doesn't gain him weight...

Thanks for the advice.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2013, 05:44 AM
Sorry to hear about your dog and 2 weeks is a long time for this to be going on. If you aren't already on a good worming regime, I'd be inclined to ask the vet about a good dose of wormer, and change it from the one you used last time just to make sure you catch all the critters, cos some worms can cause this type of thing, especially when the dog is acting normally, apart from being a bit finicky about the food, that all ties in with what I had with both my dogs when they got giardia. The weight loss is significant too with some worms/parasites.

If your dog's diarrhea is very yellow and very watery then I would definitely suspect giardia because you mention the smell, and the smell is particularly rife with giardia.

Are you washing him down each time, after he's had a bout of diarrhea? I expect you are, but it was worth a mention, being that he's a long coated dog, you obviously need to keep those trousers clean otherwise he will smell.

I would give the vet a ring and see if he can call you back, and ask him about worms, especially giardia, cos he will know that it's very hard to get a diagnosis from a stool sample with this parasite, but if he feels it's worth ruling it out with a dose of Panacur for 5 days then I'm sure this might well sort him out. Good luck with him.