View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2013, 09:24 PM
CS...the modern teacup Yorkie would probably not have a clue what to do about a rat; however the old character of the breed is still around isn't it.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2013, 09:24 PM
My cat has killed two mice (ew,ew,ew), didn't eat either, brought them to me alive. She did just fine.

We no longer have had any rats or mice since we've gotten her... so none of my dogs have ever caught any but I suspect she'll be fine.

As the other users said... mice may try and fight back before being killed, so look out for bites and then you're probably alright.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2013, 09:31 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
CS...the modern teacup Yorkie would probably not have a clue what to do about a rat; however the old character of the breed is still around isn't it.
Exactly. Bred for tininess rather than ratting ability.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2013, 10:54 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
Nowt beats a JRT!!!! Mind you, our last dog which was a collie x made a very good job of a rat once - she was unfortunate enough to have a huge abscess on her paw though. Perhaps she tried to pin the thing down?!!

*goes off topic and hopes nobody will notice.........produces great long pole with a hook on the end and slowly and carefully grabs Tang around the neck. Gotcha..........your next stop is the daily thread Come along, there's a good min pin mum.
You DO make me laugh Bitkin. Alas I fear my 'posting style' is unsuitable for the DT! And I am too big and old and ugly to be bossed about and told what to do (well to be fair I ALWAYS was - even as a teenager!)

I don't see how a JRT can be a better 'ratter' than a minpin with the minpin's extremely thin and pointed nose and head? But then look at the abysmal performance of my minpin?

She is EXCELLENT at catching tiny bugs and ladybirds and microscopically sized things that land on the verandah mind you - trouble is she picks them up VERY gently and carefully and brings them INTO THE APARTMENT?

Err.... no Bella that's not what I had in mind!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2013, 12:17 AM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
My cat has killed two mice (ew,ew,ew), didn't eat either, brought them to me alive. She did just fine.

We no longer have had any rats or mice since we've gotten her... so none of my dogs have ever caught any but I suspect she'll be fine.

As the other users said... mice may try and fight back before being killed, so look out for bites and then you're probably alright.
Your cat obviously has miraculous powers to revive mice from the dead MJ!
Apache
Dogsey Senior
Male 

08-07-2013, 07:22 AM
Where there is one rat ........
If the rat was on your property then you should contact the local pest control dept to trap/exterminate them. There are bound to be more.

As John Wayne said in True Grit
"Mr. Rat, I have a writ here that says you are to stop eating our cornmeal forthwith. Now, It's a rat writ, writ for a rat, and this is lawful service of same!"
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2013, 07:34 AM
I've had a series of ratters only one had a problem and that was because she fell in a hole trying to get it. Most dogs know exactly what do with them I have found even soft friendly old Katie (corgi) could kill a rat in a second.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2013, 07:58 AM
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Where there is one rat ........
If the rat was on your property then you should contact the local pest control dept to trap/exterminate them. There are bound to be more.

As John Wayne said in True Grit
"Mr. Rat, I have a writ here that says you are to stop eating our cornmeal forthwith. Now, It's a rat writ, writ for a rat, and this is lawful service of same!"
joto
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-07-2013, 08:10 AM
The biggest danger with rats is if someone has put poison down for them, if you dog eats a dead rat get it to the vet ASAP
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2013, 11:46 AM
Originally Posted by Nina'sMom View Post
Can she died from killing a rat? I don't no what to do! Please help
Clever girl! Pat her on the head and give her a biscuit - she's earning her keep!
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >