View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Nina'sMom
New Member!
Female 

07-07-2013, 07:55 PM

My dog killed a rat please help! wat should i do?

Can she died from killing a rat? I don't no what to do! Please help
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2013, 08:03 PM
I would be highly unusual if they did I would think. Did they eat the rat once they'd killed it?
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2013, 08:40 PM
Hello there, and do try not to be concerned because the only likely problem will be an abscess if the rat managed to get a bite in before being killed.

Check her over for signs of a bite (usually on the face or paws) and if you find one then clean it very thoroughly and keep a careful eye because sometimes (not always) an abscess quickly follows.

What sort of dog is she?
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2013, 08:45 PM
My dog, a Mini Pinscher, is supposed to have been bred to catch rats. However I think she has a little genetic material missing. When we had rats in a downstairs storeroom here she didn't even used to sniff at the door!

And the only rodent she ever 'caught' was a long dead (almost mummified) tiny vole or field mouse.

Cats here catch rats all the time. I don't think dogs and cats have the same susceptibility to the sort of tummy bugs we can get from eating odd stuff or raw stuff or whatever.

Hell, the stray dogs here eat anything and everything and they do all right on it.

When Bella wakes up I will tell her about your dog catching the rat and see if she displays any signs of embarrassment!
Nina'sMom
New Member!
Female 

07-07-2013, 08:59 PM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
I would be highly unusual if they did I would think. Did they eat the rat once they'd killed it?
She is a shih tzu/yorkie. She didn't eat the rat. Thank you all for the comments.
Nina'sMom
New Member!
Female 

07-07-2013, 09:01 PM
Shih tzu / yorkie
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2013, 09:02 PM
Originally Posted by Nina'sMom View Post
She is a shih tzu/yorkie. She didn't eat the rat. Thank you all for the comments.
She'll be fine I'm sure. Just check her for any bites or scratches then. She's just doing exactly what Yorkies were originally bred for.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2013, 09:10 PM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
She'll be fine I'm sure. Just check her for any bites or scratches then. She's just doing exactly what Yorkies were originally bred for.
Aaah! Catrin to the rescue! I didn't know that - that Yorkies were also 'ratters'. But I should have I suppose - them being (I assume) 'terriers'?

Always learning stuff on Dogsey!
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2013, 09:17 PM
Nowt beats a JRT!!!! Mind you, our last dog which was a collie x made a very good job of a rat once - she was unfortunate enough to have a huge abscess on her paw though. Perhaps she tried to pin the thing down?!!

*goes off topic and hopes nobody will notice.........produces great long pole with a hook on the end and slowly and carefully grabs Tang around the neck. Gotcha..........your next stop is the daily thread Come along, there's a good min pin mum.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2013, 09:19 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
Aaah! Catrin to the rescue! I didn't know that - that Yorkies were also 'ratters'. But I should have I suppose - them being (I assume) 'terriers'?

Always learning stuff on Dogsey!
: ) bred to try and keep the rats down in Yorkshire mills and mines. wonder how a teacup Yorkie would fare against a big rat!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >