Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2013, 01:39 PM

The cone of shame in this heat!

I'm having a bit of trouble with Scooby. He suffers from grass allergies and is particularly struggling this year. He has already had one course of steroids and is now on 1 piriton three times a day. He's chewed all down his front legs, between his back legs, itched his head and made his eyes sore. He's also obsessively licking his bits.

I've got him on cod liver oil capsules, homeopet skin and itch drops and as I said previously 1 piriton three times a day. I have also just recieved some Garlic and Fenugreek tablets and some mixed veg tablets from dorwest herbs to try him on.

Meanwhile I have put a cone on him because he keeps knocking the scab off of his lips and still chews his front legs so he's not healing very well. However in this heat he is getting too hot. I can't have the cone off him while I'm around because he will still itch and itch unless I physically restrain him. He will sometimes stop for a couple of minutes (just long enough for me to relax) and then he'll be off again.

Due to him overheating I have been swapping his cone for his muzzle at some points in the day. He hates the cone and struggles to move around in it as well. So far today he's had his muzzle on for the most part as it still does the job but he seems happier in it. He can still pant and drink because it's a Baskerville type.

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions of other things I can use that he might not get too hot in as I feel a bit mean leaving his muzzle on for such long periods even though he is perfectly happy wearing it. I also don't want to have to keep resorting to the cone.

Sorry I've rambled a lot but does anyone have any ideas? Or shall I just persevere as we are?
Jen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2013, 09:35 PM
Bump bump!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2013, 10:15 PM
Originally Posted by Wyrekin View Post
Bump bump!
OK! OK! 'Stay Calm' I am here! (I will be useless but am now off to read your post!)

And at least this will bring it up for you!
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2013, 10:21 PM
I really feel for you having had to put a rubber pawz boot on Jimmi several times a day ( application of honey) and it was far too hot for even that, so I can imagine how grim a lampshade must be.

At least the muzzle is tolerable and he can still drink and pant with it on. Personally, I would forget about the collar for now, if possible, because it must be so dreadfully uncomfortable.
Jen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2013, 10:41 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
OK! OK! 'Stay Calm' I am here! (I will be useless but am now off to read your post!)

And at least this will bring it up for you!
Haha I was patient for 8 hours, that's quite controlled for me

Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
I really feel for you having had to put a rubber pawz boot on Jimmi several times a day ( application of honey) and it was far too hot for even that, so I can imagine how grim a lampshade must be.

At least the muzzle is tolerable and he can still drink and pant with it on. Personally, I would forget about the collar for now, if possible, because it must be so dreadfully uncomfortable.
Thanks Bitkin that makes me feel better. Neither method is great but the muzzle does seem preferable. I did threaten to drop him in the paddling pool earlier but he ran away
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2013, 10:49 PM
Haha I was patient for 8 hours, that's quite controlled for me
EIGHT HOURS before anyone responded to you? Geez what's gone wrong here?

I have a good excuse - dropped the cable telly romote on the tiles and the back fell off. Subsequently lost all net connection and everything and had to be crawling round faffing about with a paperclip for 'reset' buttons and switching it all off and on again and resetting up my network connection!
Jen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2013, 11:04 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
EIGHT HOURS before anyone responded to you? Geez what's gone wrong here?

I have a good excuse - dropped the cable telly romote on the tiles and the back fell off. Subsequently lost all net connection and everything and had to be crawling round faffing about with a paperclip for 'reset' buttons and switching it all off and on again and resetting up my network connection!
Haha sounds like quite a saga! I blame they lack of responses on people going out and enjoying the sun. I mean how dare they all when I'm looking for reassurance, pah anybody would think we never see the sun here!

(Best part about writing the last sentence was the iPad autocorrecting sun with sin!)
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2013, 11:09 PM
Haha sounds like quite a saga! I blame they lack of responses on people going out and enjoying the sun. I mean how dare they all when I'm looking for reassurance, pah anybody would think we never see the sun here!

(Best part about writing the last sentence was the iPad autocorrecting sun with sin!)
LOL! I've had some better ones (mostly unrepeatable - why do these Android devices have such DIRTY minds?)
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-07-2013, 08:41 AM
I'm having a bit of trouble with Scooby. He suffers from grass allergies and is particularly struggling this year. He has already had one course of steroids and is now on 1 piriton three times a day. He's chewed all down his front legs, between his back legs, itched his head and made his eyes sore. He's also obsessively licking his bits.
What is he fed on?

I've got him on cod liver oil capsules, homeopet skin and itch drops and as I said previously 1 piriton three times a day. I have also just recieved some Garlic and Fenugreek tablets and some mixed veg tablets from dorwest herbs to try him on.
I was on holiday and met a lady who's dog was in a terrible state because of a grass allergy, like you she had tried a lot of things but hadn't tried aloa vera or tee tree, I gave her some aloa vera cream to put on, the scratching stopped almost right away.

Meanwhile I have put a cone on him because he keeps knocking the scab off of his lips and still chews his front legs so he's not healing very well. However in this heat he is getting too hot. I can't have the cone off him while I'm around because he will still itch and itch unless I physically restrain him. He will sometimes stop for a couple of minutes (just long enough for me to relax) and then he'll be off again.
Not being able to get to it will be driving him mad, just think of when we have an itch were we can't get to it and how it drives us mad, to him it is much worse. A soothing cream is much better especially if you can bandage it up so he can't get to it.

Due to him overheating I have been swapping his cone for his muzzle at some points in the day. He hates the cone and struggles to move around in it as well. So far today he's had his muzzle on for the most part as it still does the job but he seems happier in it. He can still pant and drink because it's a Baskerville type.
The Baskerville muzzle will be a lot better for him than the cone. Many dogs have muzzles on for a long time, as long a they can drink with it on it will be fine. He won't get as hot with the muzzle nor feel isolated as many dogs do with a cone on.