Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2013, 12:21 AM

A quick question for raw feeders

Nigredo has been on raw for a while now. When I saw allergies (even though they came from a bad bath), I decided to switch to raw in hopes that I'd never see them again. So far, so good!

Now, there is a slight issue. He LOVES to carry his meat all over. I gave him turkey necks last week and each time he'd carry it out of his bowl and walk off with it. He does the same with any bony meat.

I have taken to feeding him on the porch now because of this. He likes to steal cat food, so isn't allowed into the kitchen because of this... so feeding him there would be kind of a backtrack. Does anybody have any advice?
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

06-07-2013, 05:25 AM
Dillon has always taken his bones onto his bed sometimes outside but mostly his bed so it just means more washing of his bed covers.
Jackalyn
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-07-2013, 06:10 AM
Can you not feed him in his cage.? My spaniel has his in his cage. My german shepherd kodi does the same as yours, I can feed her in the kitchen but she will walk off into the front room and drop it onto the rug if I forget to shut the door. I mostly feed her outside if weather is ok .
Jen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2013, 06:38 AM
I mostly feed mine their bones outside and they are so in to this routine now that they will take the bones from me in the kitchen, run through the house and out in to the garden by themselves to eat it. If it's really raining I put them in the utility room as it's easy to clean or in the past I have put them in their crates but given I don't use them anymore because I don't need to that's no longer and option.

My old boy was taught to eat his bones on a specific piece of vet bed. When ever he wandered off from the bed I just went and got his bone and put it back on the bed. He soon learnt if he wanted to eat in peace he needed to stay put!
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2013, 11:00 AM
Wyrekin, I'm really trying to lessen the use of his crate as well, which is why I'm not feeding him in there.

I guess I could try and train him to eat in a certain place, buttttttt I doubt that will work, thanks everyone.

Ehh... maybe I'll just stick to porch feeding...
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2013, 11:07 AM
I use a thick bathroom mat (I have several) and either throw it on the floor outside on the verandah or up on the sofa out there. She never moves off it while eating. In fact she will go and jump on it and wait when she sees me fetching her chicken wing. There's NO WAY I want her eating raw meat and bones inside.

The only time she ever takes it off the mat is if someone approaches her while she is eating. I try to make sure no one does. She will take it away and wait til they're gone.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

06-07-2013, 11:11 AM
Mine are fed outside anyway. When I have babies or they are in the house for something or other, then it is the kitchen floor that can be mopped afterwards.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-07-2013, 11:25 AM
With bones as part of a meal my lot never lift their heads out of their bowl until they have finished completely. At the moment the are chomping away on big bones which will keep them busy for a good while, I have one big dog and 3 little dogs in the kitchen and one big dog and one medium dog in the conservatory. Both rooms have tiled floors and both will be mopped once they're finished. I can't just chuck them all outside otherwise the little 'un's get mugged or I have to stand and watch. Rio can be trusted not to mug the Pugs whereas Diesel my Staffie would thing it fair game and survival of the fittest. They don't fight over bones he just has a technique of ending up with all the bones. He wouldn't dare try it with Milan though.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2013, 12:05 PM
So I'm to gather most raw feeders actually do feed outside. Alrighty, then. Fair enough! It's gross for him to take the food all over, so I guess that's likely my best option anyway.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

06-07-2013, 12:23 PM
Mabs always takes her bone into the big kennel, buries it in the shavings, tries to steal everyone else's, then goes back, digs it up and starts eating it
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >