register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

05-07-2013, 10:05 PM
See it isn't that hard when you think about it. So if you have salmon, she has salmon etc. The main problem with a raw fed dog is keeping the weight OFF them, not are they having enough.
At the moment Mabs is having quite a lot more than anyone else as she seems to be having a real growth spurt, doesn't seem to be growing upwards but is filling out in the main. Her brother, Tara, who is also raw fed, looks very lanky and leggy in his most recent piccie, and he is a massive boy now. Keshi is eating well, but I am careful on excess as she cannot be carrying too much weight whilst she is growing as it will affect her skeletal development negatively, that is the difficult one at the moment, keeping her weight just right and feeding enough but not over feeding. It is a lot easier to do all this when raw feeding as you know exactly what you are feeding as you are buying it yourself and you are not relying on the claims of the manufacturers on a bag of food that you are not really sure what they are including.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2013, 10:41 PM
Well that's my concern that she likes the raw food so much but maybe it's too fattening for her or she shouldn't have the kibble as well? Oh I am getting a bit confused about it all now perhaps I'll just buy her a doggy treadmill! (probably a large hamster wheel would do for titch!)
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2013, 10:16 AM
I am sure I read somewhere you shouldn't feed raw and kibble I will try to find the link Tang.

Ah can't post a link as it is from another forum but this is in essence what they say

Mixing raw and commercial food together

This is a very undesirable practice and could be very detrimental to your dog's health -

.......But what about serving raw and kibble in two clearly separate meals and what does this actually mean for your dog?

Well, if you do choose to take this route and decide to gradually swap your dog over - you put him at risk of disease caused by the pathogens contained in raw meat.

eg Salmonella, E-coli etc.

Dogs are natually designed to cope with these when fed a raw diet - as his system has an acidic stomach and short digestive tract that process the raw food very efficiently, the pathogens do not get chance to lie in the stomach or gut with the opportunity of multiplying.
However.....When you add carbohydrate based food (commercial kibble) to this you can slow down the normal digestion of the raw food, as it competes with the commercial food to be digested - this means that the raw food is remaining longer in your dog's system thus giving more time for the pathogens in the raw meat to increase and potentially cause harm to your dog.
If I were you I think I would pop into the raw feeders part of this forum as they seem pretty clued about about it all.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

08-07-2013, 10:22 AM
That has actually been discounted now, I do know lots of people who do it. Personally I wouldn't.
It is to do with digestion in that kibble takes an awfully long time to go through the system, whilst raw doesn't. So that was the reason that was given not to feed them together.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-07-2013, 10:47 AM
It's a load of old tosh, before mine went fully raw I often added stuff such as raw tripe etc to their kibble.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2013, 11:01 AM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
I am sure I read somewhere you shouldn't feed raw and kibble I will try to find the link Tang.

Ah can't post a link as it is from another forum but this is in essence what they say

If I were you I think I would pop into the raw feeders part of this forum as they seem pretty clued about about it all.
I'd rather stop the raw component of her diet. She was perfectly healthy without it - just tried her on some after reading about it being good for teeth etc.

Much easier to stick to a kibble she likes and that suits her - especially as she has to be boarded now and then.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

08-07-2013, 11:21 AM
If you're happy feeding her kibble there is no reason not to stick with it. Either feed her less and see if the weight reduces , if not she may be like Rio her food kept getting reduced until she was on about half of what she should be. She wasn't fat but carried a couple of kilo's that we couldn't shift. It wasn't possible to exercise her more so we tried changing to a fish based kibble and the excess weight dropped off.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2013, 11:22 AM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
It's a load of old tosh, before mine went fully raw I often added stuff such as raw tripe etc to their kibble.
Just saying what I have learned as I am not a fan of raw feeding I wasn't saying it was true and actually pointed tang to the raw feeders section to check for herself.
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
That has actually been discounted now, I do know lots of people who do it. Personally I wouldn't.
It is to do with digestion in that kibble takes an awfully long time to go through the system, whilst raw doesn't. So that was the reason that was given not to feed them together.
I see as I have said I am not a fan of raw so was just passing on what I had seen.

Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
I'd rather stop the raw component of her diet. She was perfectly healthy without it - just tried her on some after reading about it being good for teeth etc.

Much easier to stick to a kibble she likes and that suits her - especially as she has to be boarded now and then.
I find with dry it's much easier to keep portion control, x number of grammes is easier to measure than anything else then add to it low cal veg and you have a happy full dog.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

08-07-2013, 11:30 AM
It wasn't aimed at you specifically Julie which was why I didn't quote you. All foods are digested at different rates if you think about it, Bones are not as easy to digest as mince for example but it's not dangerous to feed them together. I have no problem with anyone feeding kibble, my lot were fit and healthy on kibble, that's not why I changed. My dogs would still eat kibble if I gave it to them, many dogs happily swap between the two. Raw isn't always the most convenient food to feed. I do actually think it's easier to control weight on raw from my own experiences but Tang has now said she'd rather feed kibble.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2013, 11:33 AM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
If you're happy feeding her kibble there is no reason not to stick with it. Either feed her less and see if the weight reduces , if not she may be like Rio her food kept getting reduced until she was on about half of what she should be. She wasn't fat but carried a couple of kilo's that we couldn't shift. It wasn't possible to exercise her more so we tried changing to a fish based kibble and the excess weight dropped off.
Meester Deelivery here has just started delivering pet food I am going to look at what brands are available.

Yes I think it is going to be easier to GAUGE what she gets if I stick to a good kibble and see how she goes. At the moment it is far too hot here to exercise her more. She is getting less than usual. So increasing exercise isn't really a goer until after Oct.

She can go back to having the occasional raw bone for a treat or to keep her occupied at times. I've already stopped giving her 'extra dog treats' just put a few bits of her kibble in a plastic bottle for her to chase instead.

Anyway my son and his whole veggie family arrive in August and it might be just as well not to be flinging bits of raw meat about in front of them!

She does love fish. So do I.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3