View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2013, 08:39 AM
Female dogs can experience a decline in frequency of menstruation as they age but are generally able to conceive for the duration of their life.

If I had a bitch that stopped coming into season I would take her to the vet to rule out any medical problems that it might be a symptom of.

To leave an unspayed bitch with a whole male dog at any time is, in my view, just foolhardy.

Fertility
Despite the tapering off or total cessation of heat cycles, female dogs may still be fertile. Fertility decreases significantly and the chance of a dog become pregnant is lower. However, heat periods may resume abruptly, causing the dog to potentially get pregnant.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-07-2013, 08:59 AM
I would never risk leaving 2 entire dogs of opposite sexes together, whether they appear interested in each other or not, Tis madness.
Also leg cocking is not related to neutering, my Boxer was entire for his entire life, maybe cocked his leg once or twice in 13 years, he just preferred not to. Neutered dogs are no more prone to weight gain than any other dogs, the amount fed needs adjusting for various reasons throughout a dogs life, they only gain weight if you're not observant or they have some other form of condition. Insufficient exercise is far more likely to make for chubby pets.
Also I guess HD occurs in both neutered and entire dogs as no doubt does bone cancer and every other issue attributed to neutering.
As I said once before you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2013, 09:03 AM
I think if a dog has that sort of personality,nothing will stop him people assume its a magic wand,but if a dog has a high sex-drive he will always be after the ladies .We had a huge bruiser of a cat in the area, picking fights other peoples cat had many vet visits due to abcesses no one would admit to owning,eventually he was trapped and castrated, in his case he became a normal moggy,no fights,so it seems to work better with cats as they stop fighting over space its not because of a female as it is with dogs.Gemini54
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2013, 09:03 AM
I know one or two female dogs who 'cock their leg' when they pee!

Having had GSDs for years this is the first time I ever heard of a link between neutering and hip dysplasia. Not that mine were neutered.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-07-2013, 09:56 AM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
I know one or two female dogs who 'cock their leg' when they pee!

Having had GSDs for years this is the first time I ever heard of a link between neutering and hip dysplasia. Not that mine were neutered.
I used to have a terrier who stood on his front paws as if doing a hand stand to pee and poo as high as possible up bushes.
I've never had a dog with HD either but all of mine had traceable ancestry unlike Nigredo who is a pound puppy I believe.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2013, 10:06 AM
Mollie was neutered as we couldn't take any chances as she was showing signs of HD early on, didn't want to pass that on accidentally.

Really struggling to decide with Betty, we can't afford to have her done at this moment but there is no pressing need IMO to have her done anyway as she is never with unneutered males.
Dobionekenobi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-07-2013, 11:19 AM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post

Jade hasn't had a heat since I've gotten her and never allowed any males to mount her anyway as she's FAR too fearful to be mounted. Not worried about accidental breeding in the least. Left her alone with Brownie many times, knowing she'd never let him mount her.
I'm going to go with the others here and say that I think having to entire dogs of both sex together and taking the risk of pregnancy is so stupid it's unbelievable. BUT at least that isn't the case anymore.

How long have you had Jade? Is there any reason she hasn't ever had a season/heat?
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-07-2013, 12:18 PM
I was reliably informed the other day by my boys granny that 'i should take him to the vet immediatly as he had discharge from his 'pee pee' and that it was gonorrhea'

i pointed out it was boy juice and my darling was not a sl*t!
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2013, 07:35 AM
Hi Thats what grannies are for,my great auntie took great pleasure when I took her to a British Legion Commemorative Dinner,she was asked to speak about the railway as her husband had died on it,she was on the podium and started singing "Hitlers only got one ball" I was about to remove her,and in a clear voice,she said that we went to war because of a madmans drivel,a man who had gonorrea,which had addled his brain,didnt know where to look but everyone did take it in good part she was 89 then and was given applause and some flowers.Gemini54
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2013, 03:39 PM
Originally Posted by Dobionekenobi View Post
I'm going to go with the others here and say that I think having to entire dogs of both sex together and taking the risk of pregnancy is so stupid it's unbelievable. BUT at least that isn't the case anymore.

How long have you had Jade? Is there any reason she hasn't ever had a season/heat?
That's the thing, if I thought I was taking a risk (I wasn't) then of course it would have never happened. Also, I rarely left the dogs alone together because they were both large dogs and I had a few "arguments" between them.

My mother owned Jade up until semi recently. The dogs were together all throughout her life though so 6,7,8, years old. Jade is maybe 10-ish now and I haven't seen any heat or signs of heat since early this year, so of course one could still be coming.

Make no mistake, the dogs were together often, mostly supervised and I was easily able to see that Jade would NEVER allow any form of mounting by any dog.

If anything she'd prefer to mount, which was far more of a danger than him doing so as with an intact male like Brownie, it would have caused a very nasty fight if she persisted which is why the dogs were supervised 90% of the time.

Insanely stupid or not by your words or anybody else's, nothing happened, I knew nothing was going to happen, and nothing is still going to happen. It's funny how people are telling me about dogs that live HERE not NOT there!

Jade has been here since she was 4 weeks old, she's always been a very submissive/timid dog. Even when she was in heat... if any dog tried to jump on her, she'd get scared and growl and cower to the floor or turn back and snarl. She'd also tuck her tail between her legs.

I've had strays that I fed, foster dogs (when I was able to afford to do this) and everything else. Never even one accidental breeding or mating by any of the dogs that have ever been in my care, with Nigredo being the only neutered dog I've ever had.

You know what? Why am I explaining things to people who like to tell me about my own dogs? Whatever, thanks for telling me about dogs that live at my house, that I watch and know. I'm done, bye.
Page 6 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >