View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Polarbear2008
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-07-2013, 04:33 PM
At our previous training school, because they had day kennels too, all dogs had to have kennel cough so Bailiie had it twice. It wasn't done at the same time as her booster, always a week later as my vet didn't want her to have to go through too much. Each time she had it done, although she didn't enjoy it, she didn't bother either; perhaps that's because she used to love her vet nurse ?
Bailiie doesn't need to have it done where we are now, so I obviously don't do it but, she never had any side effects either
Hope it all goes ok, the nail clipping too.
I got Bailiie comfortable with the clippers by keeping them near us, letting her sniff/lick them and touching her toes/nails gently with them. I have managed to do the whole set twice now, and only once cut a quick . I stopped the bleeding, felt very guilty and quite nervous but thought it best to continue with the rest because I didn't want her to be frightened and I didn't want to become too nervous either.
We managed the rest without issues, thank goodness.

Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2013, 05:31 PM
Yes my vet said some vets will give it at the same time as boosters and some won't and he won't. So I would prefer it done separately - even if any risk is tiny. I already don't like 'combined' vaccines but they are here to stay. Apparently it's more important WHEN it's done in relation to when they are going into kennels or any other risk area, from a few days before to about 2 wks before is apparently optimum. So not something I'd have done every (however many months or years) but only at the right interval prior to leaving her there.

Won't prevent them getting it but should help with it - same thing they give them if they are brought along presenting with KC apparently.

She was a star while he did her nails. She's the only dog I've ever owned who won't let me do them.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3