View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Anniebee
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-07-2013, 07:25 PM
Kibo's had it, didn't bat an eyelid AT ALL when the drops went in his nose and wasn't unwell after either
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2013, 07:27 PM
There you go Tang, Anniebee is a positive bit of feedback for you.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2013, 07:30 PM
Hubby just text to say " vet squirted stuff up her nose and cleaned her ears.I looked out the window at the trees!! She was fine, no bother
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2013, 07:45 PM
I've never had to have mine done as they don't go into kennels. However, I gather it is as effective as the human 'flu jab in that there are many strains and it doesn't cover all of them. In fact, I was told at my previous vet that any infection of the airway would be classed as kennel cough.
Lynne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2013, 07:58 PM
Taffy had it last month before we went on hols as he was going in Kennels (first time) It was squirted up his nose. Didnt bother him - He probably didnt realise what was going to happen though A few days after he did have a cough/sneezy/snortle thing going on. I presumed it was because they give them a mild dose of the KC same as they give us a flu jab & people complain that they get the flu afterwards but its probably just a cold. It only lasted a few days though & didnt seem be bother him
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2013, 09:12 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
I don't think that they have developed a vaccine for KC yet Tang - it's a squirt up the nose (sort of Bottom style with Aid Edmondson saying "up the nose, or not at all".

Sorry, got sidetracked there!

Anyway, some dogs absolutely hate it which is why many people are reluctant to have it done again. Other dogs barely seem to notice anything, so I hope that Bella is one of those.

We had KC in the boarding kennels where I worked - just the once, but it was enough. It spread soooooooooo quickly; one day one dog was coughing up foam and a bit off it's food, and each day after that more and more doggies went down with it despite our efforts. Recovery was quite quick though, with the help of a jab from the vet who came out every day, and it was fortunate that there were no elderlies or puppies in at the time.

After that, we insisted on the dogs being vaccinated for KC before coming in and I cannot remember any instance of a dog being unwell because of it.........however, I think that there has to be a time lapse of a few days between the vacc and going into kennels.
Sounds about what my vet was saying. He sort of snorted about it being called a 'vaccination'. I just don't want to take any chance of the Ayatollah being unwell if I can do anything to try to avoid it.

Hopefully as my vet said the 'talk' of it is worse than the disease!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2013, 09:15 PM
Originally Posted by Anniebee View Post
Kibo's had it, didn't bat an eyelid AT ALL when the drops went in his nose and wasn't unwell after either
Originally Posted by Eileen Duffy View Post
Hubby just text to say " vet squirted stuff up her nose and cleaned her ears.I looked out the window at the trees!! She was fine, no bother
Originally Posted by Taffsmum View Post
Taffy had it last month before we went on hols as he was going in Kennels (first time) It was squirted up his nose. Didnt bother him - He probably didnt realise what was going to happen though A few days after he did have a cough/sneezy/snortle thing going on. I presumed it was because they give them a mild dose of the KC same as they give us a flu jab & people complain that they get the flu afterwards but its probably just a cold. It only lasted a few days though & didnt seem be bother him
Thanks to all of the above. All very reassuring. Just got to get through him clipping her nails now! I'm amazed he just agreed to do it (as she bit him on the last visit!) I expect the thimble sized linen muzzle will come out tomorrow!
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2013, 10:34 AM
Amber has her booster and the KC up the nose all together and this is the third time without any problems so I shall continue to do so. She doesn't object to any of it.
Maiseymoo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-07-2013, 11:53 AM
I had to get Alfie done against kennel cough when he was only 7 months old because next door brought their dog home from Dogs Trust with kennel cough and as they could sniff each other under the fence I was terrified he would catch it as he was so tiny and only weighed about 1 kg was at the time. He hated it and it has totally put him off going to the vets, maybe it was worse for him because he only has a short muzzle, I don't know.
He used to pull to get into the vets, all waggy tailed and excited, before he had it but now I have to drag him in and once he is on the table he tries to climb up me to escape the vet and is terrified of the vet even touching him.
Tia however still loves going but she has never had the kennel cough vaccine.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2013, 12:25 PM
Originally Posted by Fivedogpam View Post
I've never had to have mine done as they don't go into kennels. However, I gather it is as effective as the human 'flu jab in that there are many strains and it doesn't cover all of them. In fact, I was told at my previous vet that any infection of the airway would be classed as kennel cough.
That's roughly what my vet said about it too. Said there are many respiratory things they can get and they all tend to be referred to as KC. And he said that the combined booster contains something to combat respiratory problems too?

Anyway I am sure she will be one of the dogs who is fine with it. She doesn't even turn round to look when my marvellous vet does any injections. (Unlike some I've had in the past who had the dog SCREAMING and you couldn't touch the site of the injection for ages afterwards!) I suppose it's a bit like some nurses are v. good at taking blood and others leave you with a black and blue pin cushion for an arm!
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >