Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2013, 06:47 PM

Kennel Cough Vaccination?

Has anyone had their dog vaccinated against Kennel Cough?

I never have for any of mine so far (and none of them have had it) but have heard that it's 'going round' here. And someone told me their dog had 'a mild case of it' after being in the boarding kennels (although I was talking to him for half an hour and Daisy, his dog, didn't cough once during that time!)

Anyway I am taking Bella for her boosters tomorrow and mentioned it to my vet.

He said it's wise to do it but not to get too worried about KC because it's his experience that there is always far more people 'talking about KC' than dogs who actually have it at any time.

He said he will not do it at the same time as her boosters (some vets will but he won't) would be better to wait a week at least and that the optimum time for her to get the vacc is minimum 3 days before she goes in and no longer than 2 weeks before.

I asked if there were any likely contraindications and he said no.

Just wondered if anyone has had it or has any thoughts about it as it's a new one to me.

(He's going to trim her claws tomorrow too - now that's where the trouble WILL start!)
Mazza
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-07-2013, 06:56 PM
I have Fluke done for kennel cough mainly because I am on my own and in an emergency he would have to go in boarding kennels and they insist on it and annual boosters. My vet gives him the nose drops at the same time as his booster jab and now it lasts 12 months. Many years ago when I used to show and had my dogs covered for kennel cough it had to be done every 6 months,.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2013, 07:02 PM
Originally Posted by brophy View Post
I have Fluke done for kennel cough mainly because I am on my own and in an emergency he would have to go in boarding kennels and they insist on it and annual boosters. My vet gives him the nose drops at the same time as his booster jab and now it lasts 12 months. Many years ago when I used to show and had my dogs covered for kennel cough it had to be done every 6 months,.
Thanks for that quick reply Brophy. Hadn't realised it was nose drops! I have every faith in my excellent vet here - if he says not to have it at same time as boosters but wait a week - I go by what he says.

Just wanted to know really if any instances of dogs being unwell after having it as I am putting her in the boarding kennels on 21st. Didn't like to think of her being 'poorly' before she goes in.

Like you I am on my own with Bella - disregarding my personal views about having all these boosters and that I have to keep her up to date or boardings and airlines etc. just won't accept her and that would be AWFUL in the even of an emergency.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2013, 07:04 PM
Lacey had her kennel cough jab last Wednesday,she goes into kennels tomorrow for a week( hate the thought of it!!)
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2013, 07:06 PM
Originally Posted by Eileen Duffy View Post
Lacey had her kennel cough jab last Wednesday,she goes into kennels tomorrow for a week( hate the thought of it!!)
So Lacey's was a jab, not nose drops?

Eileen I am sure you've checked the kennels out or had them well recommended to you?

Don't spoil your holiday worrying about her I am sure she will be just fine. And is such a sweetie that they are bound to spoil her!
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2013, 07:07 PM
I don't think that they have developed a vaccine for KC yet Tang - it's a squirt up the nose (sort of Bottom style with Aid Edmondson saying "up the nose, or not at all".

Sorry, got sidetracked there!

Anyway, some dogs absolutely hate it which is why many people are reluctant to have it done again. Other dogs barely seem to notice anything, so I hope that Bella is one of those.

We had KC in the boarding kennels where I worked - just the once, but it was enough. It spread soooooooooo quickly; one day one dog was coughing up foam and a bit off it's food, and each day after that more and more doggies went down with it despite our efforts. Recovery was quite quick though, with the help of a jab from the vet who came out every day, and it was fortunate that there were no elderlies or puppies in at the time.

After that, we insisted on the dogs being vaccinated for KC before coming in and I cannot remember any instance of a dog being unwell because of it.........however, I think that there has to be a time lapse of a few days between the vacc and going into kennels.
Malpeki
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-07-2013, 07:07 PM
at mine it's included at only one vaccination
only the rabies one is separate

but even if you let get Bella vaccinate against it, it's not that safe, that she can't get it nevertheless

...they can do it better in English

Treatment and prevention[edit]

See also: DA2PPC Vaccine

Antibiotics are given to treat any bacterial infection present. Cough suppressants are used if the cough is not productive. Prevention is by vaccinating for canine adenovirus, distemper, parainfluenza, and Bordetella. In kennels, the best prevention is to keep all the cages disinfected. In some cases, such as Doggie Daycares or Non-Traditional Playcare type boarding environments, it is usually not a cleaning or disinfecting issue, but rather an airborne issue, as the dogs are in contact with each other's saliva and breath. Although most kennels require proof of vaccination, the vaccination is not a fail-safe preventative. Just like human influenza, even after receiving the vaccination, a dog can still contract mutated strains or less severe cases.

just check Wikipedia for it
Mazza
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-07-2013, 07:11 PM
I have never had any reaction at all from it with my dogs. I am not convinced that our dogs need boosters every year and didn't have them done after two years when I had family at home but now it gives me peace of mind that the kennels will have him if needs must
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-07-2013, 07:15 PM
My lot go into kennels every January when we flit off to the Caribbean so they have to have the kennel cough vaccine. It's a squirt up the nose and none of mine have objected too much, we have it done a few weeks before going. None of them have ever had kennel cough either, although the vaccine doesn't cover all strains.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2013, 07:22 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
So Lacey's was a jab, not nose drops?

Eileen I am sure you've checked the kennels out or had them well recommended to you?

Don't spoil your holiday worrying about her I am sure she will be just fine. And is such a sweetie that they are bound to spoil her!
Possibly nose drops, hubby took her last week,will find out. Kennels are fantastic T,lady just loves Lacey.Be fine once I drop her off, think its just all she's been through lately,she's very petted on me. I know you're right will be fine
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >