View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-06-2013, 08:56 PM
I use an a comb, it is the same comb that we use on our children's hair to get rid of nits, it kills fleas as well, it is worked by battery and gives the fleas an electric shock to kill them. It never touches the dog's skin.

When using toxins to kill fleas the flea has to bite the dog, with the comb you can kill the flea before it bites the dog.

I have been using one of these for over 10 years and never had a flea problem. Some near me was looking after his son's dog for a week, the dog had a heavy infestation of fleas, you could see them jumping. He borrowed my comb and combed through the dog's coat every few hours, within 24 hours the dog was clear. He continued to use the comb daily until the dog went back home but he never had another flea.

It is so quick and easy to comb through your dog's coat as soon as you get home from a walk, takes a couple of minutes and your dog is free of fleas and no toxins are used.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2013, 08:59 PM
I'm glad the flea zapping comb is working for you. Electronic flea combs will kill the fleas but they do nothing to the eggs , so the flea problem will not be cured and you will continually have to use the comb. And for dogs with long/thick coats this would be quite a chore. And I really wouldn't like to try to use it all around a dog's face, mouth, ears. Fleas can go there too!

I've used one myself in the past (the same thing you can use on your kids) and I'd say it's a good tool in your armoury against fleas and ticks but I wouldn't solely rely on it. And of course it does not address the problem of fleas in the home (once your pet has fleas that is where most of them are)

I've never had a pet with a real 'infestation' because for years I had a cat with FACD and then for another 10 years a Cavvy with an even worse case of it so it was crucial that they were all kept flea free and the home kept flea free too.

Any fleas you see 'running' on a dog are the least bit of the problem.
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-06-2013, 09:21 PM
I have had a dog with a bad flea infestation, as well as using the flea comb on the dogs I cut flea collars into several pieces and put them under the dogs beds, under carpets and in the vacuum cleaner, the fleas were soon gone and I have never had another problem.

I have never found it a problem to use a flea comb on my dogs as soon as I get home, it takes a few minutes to do well worth the effort to have my dogs free of fleas and not being nearly killed by the toxins that we put into our dogs. I nearly lost a dog because she was vaccinated ever year, wormed every 3 months and flea and tick treatments used on her. Her body couldn't cope with the amount of toxins that was going into her.

As to round the face and ears, my dogs are so used to the comb being used on them that they don't bother were it goes.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2013, 09:42 PM
Hi! I had an old dog that I wouldn't use chemicals on either. He got fleas in winter once, and he also got flea allergy dermatitis because of it and he was an indoor dog so the fleas HAD to go. Tangutica is right in that flea shampoos don't work.

I used rosemary, sage and powdered brewers yeast added to his bath twice a week. Also I gave him brewers yeast tablets and garlic (fresh) bits each day for a while, then slowly reduced to a few times a week.

CAREFUL: You HAVE to look up amounts for doing this. It worked great for my dog, but if you give too much... it can be immensely harmful and if your dogs are tiny.. it is not advised at all.

Get a nice flea comb, and use it each day to help get fleas off of him. Soon enough, his fleas were gone! Use brewers yeast and a flea removing carpet powder on your floors and plant rosemary in your yard to help keep fleas out of your yard.

Also, you can try Bayer Advocate instead of FrontLine (which made my dog itch). Good luck!!
Lschinaia
New Member!
Female 

09-06-2013, 03:27 AM
Originally Posted by Laurabehjet View Post
I would not use diatomaceous earth.
I do not think it is safe.

My dog has 'billy no mates' by a company called CSJ.
Completely safe, no side effects and my dog has no fleas.
I already have, and the food grade is safe. It's just Diatoms, they are fossilized plankton. So far my dog has 5 fleas, when he had much more. If something else occurs, I will let you guys know.

It has been far more safe then all these chemicals and insecticides that cause Lymphoma. It's worth a shot.

Thx for all the other options, if these don't work I'll certainly try them.
Lschinaia
New Member!
Female 

06-07-2013, 09:46 PM
I have been using DE for almost a month now with good results. The fleas have dissipated for the most part but there are some still on the dogs. I have to use the powder once a day to keep them under control.

Not the best results but if you had a smaller issue with the fleas it would work better. This year has been so humid it's hard to control them. Even with treatment of their beds and wrapping them in plastic.

Looking into some topical control, if anyone thinks they work well. Just to combat the stranglers.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2013, 10:26 PM
I too use Billy No Mates to great effect..........no fleas, no ticks, nothing AND he loves the stuff!

Totally agree with the others though, you have to get back to a clean slate and eliminate all fleas from where the dogs live.
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-07-2013, 02:19 AM
I've only had one flea infestation. Dish soap was a life saver. I just kept giving my foster baths everyday and the fleas disappeared. Funny thing is all my dogs didn't get fleas.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2013, 08:39 AM
Does anyone with really short coated dogs have fleas? Both mine have extremely short coats and have never had a problem with fleas...apart from Tonks when she came home from the breeders and either she had come with fleas or she picked up cat fleas from our carpets in our old flat. Mine do get advocate regularly but have never seen a flea on either of them.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2013, 09:15 AM
I'm not sure you can get CSJ products in the US? I know some folk give their dogs garlic. Fortunately, mine don't seem to get fleas (hope I haven't spoken too soon!) but they did come back from a weekend in Shropshire with a few ticks.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >