Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lschinaia
New Member!
Female 

25-05-2013, 07:20 PM

Flea Control

Hey Guys,

I'm sure this topic is overused, but my dogs have just caught a bad case of fleas and we usually don't have an issue. I have used Frontline, and Bio Spot with no results long ago, and they are expensive. I was looking for something topical, that has the least side effects for my older dog, and also at diatomaceous earth for external use, people think it works.

My dogs are suffering but I won't poison them just to rid bugs. Did someone say Sentinel works? Or something that was out of stock and they liked it?

Right now I gave my older dog a flea bath but they just came back on hime again today, and my other dog a Adams flea spray. I bought a flea collar but am waiting to put it on him because if you use too may chems at once you can kill your dog.

Any suggestions, please.
Thx
L
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2013, 07:45 PM
Flea shampoo isn't effective. Not sure what you mean by having used Frontline 'long ago' - it has to be used at least monthly to be effective.

If your dogs have a 'bad case' of fleas - it is for absolute certain you've got them in your house. You will have to treat the pets and the house.

Most of the fleas reside in the house - the dog is a roving restaurant for them to jump on and off of to feed.

If you are only interested in non chemical or non scientific remedies - I can't advise you at all. You should gen up though on the life cycle of the flea and how to eradicate it best you can.

Flea treatment

It is essential to treat both your pet and your home, as fleas can survive in the environment without a host for many months.

Visit your vet for advice on the best products to treat your pet and your home.

Clean bedding regularly and vacuum furniture, floors and skirting boards thoroughly to help destroy fleas at each stage of their life cycle.

Throw away the dustbag from your vacuum after each use to prevent any flea eggs and larvae from developing.

Only give your pet flea treatment that has been recommended for it, ideally as prescribed by a vet for your individual pet.
Products suitable for one species may not be suitable for another; for example dog flea treatments contain permethrin, an insecticide that is safe for use on dogs but which is highly toxic to cats.

Irritable host

Not only can flea bites make your pet uncomfortable and itchy but they can also bring a host of other problems...

Pets can be hypersensitive to flea saliva and suffer an allergic reaction.

Fleas feed on blood, so young or frail animals can become weak and even die as a result of blood loss.

Flea larvae can become infected with tapeworm eggs. If your pet eats an infected flea when grooming it can also become host to this parasite. If your pet has fleas you should also make sure your pet is treated for worms.

Fleas can also pass diseases to your pets. For example, myxomatosis is a serious disease in rabbits which can be spread by fleas.

Flea facts

Fleas are a type of external parasite. There are different species of fleas, such as dog fleas, cat fleas, rabbit fleas and human fleas, although many species of fleas can infest more than one host species.

Fleas are blood-sucking parasites as adults only. Adult fleas have mouthparts which are adapted for piercing skin and sucking blood from their host.

A flea can live from between 14 days to one year.

A female flea can lay up to 50 eggs per day and 1,500 in a lifetime.

Some types of flea can leap more than a hundred times their own body length!

Regular flea treatment will help reduce the chances of your cat or dog getting tapeworms.

It is estimated that 95 per cent of flea eggs, larvae and pupae live in the environment – on beds, rugs, carpets and sofas - not on your pet.

You can prevent fleas becoming a problem by regularly treating both your pet and your home. This may need to be done all year round if your home is centrally heated.
Lschinaia
New Member!
Female 

27-05-2013, 08:59 PM
(Forntline and Bi Spot don't work) Long ago meaning in the past... yes I know it's monthly. It never worked. My mother was a dog groomer we know all about fleas but I was hoping people found a better solution by now. Our dogs live in the heated garage, they don't live in the house they are farm dogs.

I know the life-cycle of fleas, does anyone know of a better chemical or non-chemical treatment for fleas? Is there a newer product, or someone said Sentinetal worked?

My flea shampoo worked when I did it, but they came back. As I knew they would, it was just a way to kill them and to add some relief, and clean off the flea dirt.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2013, 09:01 PM
Wherever they live requires to be treated. Especially if it is heated. And they will come back if you don't treat the premises too.
Lschinaia
New Member!
Female 

05-06-2013, 06:12 PM
The Adams Flea collar was not helpful, it got rid of some but not enough. The Adams spray has been instant relief and made them much happier. I also sprayed their beds, and ordered the DEarth. I'm hoping with both we can get rid of the fleas. They only have beds in the garage the floor is cement. It sounds rough and I'd love them to be in the house but they are always happy rolling in mud and general horse farm fun. Which does not mix with carpet well.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2013, 06:25 PM
I have used Advocate on Tonks since she was a puppy and now use it on Remus. They both have very short hair and I've never found a flea on either of them since I started using it. It is also a wormer and prevents Demodex. Have a feeling it does ticks too.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-06-2013, 06:40 PM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
I have used Advocate on Tonks since she was a puppy and now use it on Remus. They both have very short hair and I've never found a flea on either of them since I started using it. It is also a wormer and prevents Demodex. Have a feeling it does ticks too.
Advocate does not work for ticks but luckily for me Frontline Plus works on Pereg and it does do ticks as well as fleas. As she sleeps on my bed I do not want either fleas or ticks joining me! But I use it every month on the 1st of each month, except for December and February.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2013, 07:15 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
Advocate does not work for ticks but luckily for me Frontline Plus works on Pereg and it does do ticks as well as fleas. As she sleeps on my bed I do not want either fleas or ticks joining me! But I use it every month on the 1st of each month, except for December and February.
Thanks, couldn't remember. I rarely find ticks on mine, possibly because they are so densely and short coated. I have a tick hook so the couple of times I have found them I got them off with that. I've had to use it twice on me, and once on Merryn when she was only a few weeks old....which was horrible! I had Lymes disease and then had another tick on me when Merryn was a week old. Probably a good thing as the doctor said my immune system will have picked up which meant that it was passed on to Merryn ready for when the nasty little ****** buried itself in her.
Megsy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-06-2013, 07:40 PM
I use Activyl which I get from the vet for fleas. Activyl Plus works on fleas and ticks but the vet advised me not to use it as I have cats and the tick element is toxic to cats. I have a tick remover and have found several ticks so far this year. If anyone has any advice on ticks that is safe for cats, I'd be very grateful.
Laurabehjet
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-06-2013, 08:53 PM
I would not use diatomaceous earth.
I do not think it is safe.

My dog has 'billy no mates' by a company called CSJ.
Completely safe, no side effects and my dog has no fleas.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >