Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-10-2007, 11:20 AM

PAH, I am bl**dy furious

I have just popped into my local PAH to pick up some cat litter,

While wondering around, I overheard a conversation with a member of staff and a customer, nothig to get my interest (at first) the customer(a guy) had a puppy , who was peeing everywhere, so was buying some crap stuff to try and get rid of the scent and the member of staff was telling him to put newspaper down

I was smiling to myself , thinking, waste of money and , forget the newspapper.

Now as I was passing, the owner starts to tell the staff member, how naughty his pup is , pup is biting his feet and is getting aggressive.....the member of staff starts to give him advice, saying well yeh! they will get aggressive if you dont put them in the place....a dog needs to know his place , he then goes on to tell the customer...... what you need to do, is when he is biting you or peeing on the carpet......................

IS........

GIVE IT A GOOD SMACK ON THE NOSE . it is the only way they learn.

OMG, I am horrified, could not help myself , I had to say something.

I excused myself, and said I am sorry but I cant just walk away from this, please , please , do not listen to that advice, by smacking your pup you will only make him fear you. told him to go home and do a seach on" NILF" it will be a much better way of training for you.

The assistant was not to pleased (tuff) .

I then asked to speak to the manager, and told her how horrified I was to think, that, that was the sort of help and advice your store was giving to people who come in looking for help... telling customers to abuse their pets, is just appalling.

She said she would have a word with him, but I doubt it, I am seething , I am just going to have a coffee, then I am going to fire off an e.mail to the head office....will let you know "if" I get anything back from them.

But the shot of it is, the chap with the puppy, has gone off with the advice from them, I doubt he even listened to me.

I need to calm down.......it has just about spoilt my day.

Sorry , it should say "PAH", not PTH ??????? in the title,
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2007, 11:24 AM
Well he has an alternative way of dealing with his puppy now so hopefully he'll take note of both. Sadly we can't force them to take any advice and they will no doub do what they will do.
At least you said something. The bloke can't complain that he never knew now! I tend to do things like that too lol!
Becky
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-10-2007, 11:26 AM
I can belive that someone would give that advice, but am more shocked someone would ask p@h for adivce, as all they are a sales assistants and unlikely to have training.

But can I ask what is wrong with paper training??
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2007, 11:46 AM
Because it teaches them to wee on paper lol! Better to start right away and take them outside to go rather than on paper!
Becky
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-10-2007, 11:50 AM
Well done for speaking up and following it through with your email.
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-10-2007, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Because it teaches them to wee on paper lol! Better to start right away and take them outside to go rather than on paper!
Becky
Not always better, and the "I smiled and said forget the paper" attitude is wrong, we got Storm, back garden was open(strays could get in) as the fence was broken, so he was taught to go on paper by the back door, he picked this up quick, just like he picked up to go outside when the fence was sorted.

So forgive me for not seeing this as wrong, or did I touch lucky in having a dog who could be taught 2 places to go.?
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2007, 12:00 PM
a smake on the nose never did suki any harm when she was biting me sorry but the old ways can still work and she isnt scared of me or hand shy in the slightest. there are various methods of training and i dont think any should be dismissed straight away. at the end of the day the guy asked for advise and the assistant gave is opinions.
ATD
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-10-2007, 12:20 PM
Originally Posted by Stormey View Post
Not always better, and the "I smiled and said forget the paper" attitude is wrong, we got Storm, back garden was open(strays could get in) as the fence was broken, so he was taught to go on paper by the back door, he picked this up quick, just like he picked up to go outside when the fence was sorted.

So forgive me for not seeing this as wrong, or did I touch lucky in having a dog who could be taught 2 places to go.?
On the whole using paper makes toilet training twice as hard, as it teaches a puppy to pee on the paper, instead of going straight outside, but if it works for you, then that is fine, no offence was ment.

Originally Posted by ATD View Post
a smake on the nose never did suki any harm when she was biting me sorry but the old ways can still work and she isnt scared of me or hand shy in the slightest. there are various methods of training and i dont think any should be dismissed straight away. at the end of the day the guy asked for advise and the assistant gave is opinions.
ATD
I am sorry, but abuse is not a way to teach a puppy anything... there are still some very good old ways , but using violence to get your point across is not one of them.

Maybe I am nieave, but I would expect a large company, who know the public will come in for advice, would educate their staff on positive training....what happens when , lets say they guy comes back after taking that advice, when the tries to smack his dog and it bites him....then goes back to the store and says, "well your staff told me to do it".
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2007, 12:22 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
On the whole using paper makes toilet training twice as hard, as it teaches a puppy to pee on the paper, instead of going straight outside, but if it works for you, then that is fine, no offence was ment.

I am sorry, but abuse is not a way to teach a puppy anything... there are still some very good old ways , but using violence to get your point across is not one of them.
Stop making a mountain out a a mole hill, a little smake on the nose or bum is NOT abuse fair enough if i was beating the living daylight out of her but im not.
perrodeagua
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-10-2007, 12:23 PM
I've never had problems with using the paper method, but in certain breeds it would make things harder i.e. (can't spell today) chihuahua's who are know not to be the cleanest of dogs.

I would never smakc my dogs in any way
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 > Last »