Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tye_Bo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-07-2007, 10:39 AM

Introducing Dogs

I'm going to introduce my dog to a jack russell dog I walk this afternoon. The JR is lovely but hates strangers and mostly doesn't like other dogs. He will bite, growl and 'go for them' but doesn't actually bite properly (doesn't draw blood), it's all 'talk' if you see what I mean. When I introduced him to my friend he bit her but as I say it's just a warning (he didn't hurt her at all).

What's the best way to introduce him to my dobie? When the dog goes to kennels he is fine with kennel staff and the other dogs, it's almost like a territory thing where he lives and 'his walks'. Is this even a good idea??? I walk him every day so it seems a shame I can't take Tye along with me.

Advice appreciated!!
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2007, 02:16 PM
I'm not sure I had one dog who would walk with another dog when the walker took him but not with me & the other dog would walk with mine with the walker but wouldn't have mine near him if his owner had him. I'd take it really gently to start with, & have someone you can hand one of the dogs over to if you do have a problem.A lot depends on your dog I'd do it with the dog I have now or with the bitch I had before as I trusted them to ignore this kind of behavior but would not have attempted it with the dog I had before as he was very possessive with me & although I don't think he would have actually done anything I'd be worried & not enjoy the walk & neither would they.
Tye_Bo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-07-2007, 02:52 PM
Thanks Sue, I've just got back. I had my dog on a long lead and made him sit outside whilst I fetched the JR. The JR came out and was a bit suprised to see my dog but he had a sniff at him, then off we went on the walk. All the way round they were fine, walked side by side. There was no confrontation but no real acknowledgement either - they just ignored each other. All in all I'm really pleased with how it went!
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2007, 03:08 PM
So pleased to hear this, obviously your dog is well behaved & gives off the right message. Hope you continue to enjoy your walks.