Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sez & Amber
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-02-2008, 01:24 PM

More waiting

What happened to the days of taking your CV/application form in for a job, going back for an interview a few days later and being offered the job on the spot (or told that you'd not been successful)?

I've not been in the workforce for all that long (seven years now) but my first few jobs were all of the above, apart from a job in a solicitors where I phoned for information, went for an interview that afternoon and started the following Monday!

A week ago, my OH found a position, through an Agency, for BT Directory Enquiries. He's far too qualified, but it's a job that he did ten years ago while at Uni and he has a vague idea of how to do it, and at the end of the day, money is money. He has been repeatedly turned down for jobs that he is qualified to do, and if he's applied for something he is over-qualified for, they have turned him down for being "too intelligent" . There really is no winning.

He filled out the application form and sent it in, and was called in "for an interview" last Friday. I spent Friday morning waiting with bated breath to hear as to whether he had a job or not. I finally got a call on the afternoon to say that it wasn't an interview at all - it was a pre-interview assessment Fortunately, he passed with flying colours and was invited back to interview today. We can't afford any more petrol for the rest of the month, and I require the use of the car because of my disability, so we were a bit narked that he had to make another two journeys but off he went.

I just got a call to say that he felt the interview went well, but that he won't hear about it until NEXT WEDNESDAY I can't believe it! If it were a highly paid job with a good deal of responsibility, then I could understand them requiring a few days to consider the applicants, but Directory Enquiries?? Whenever I've called BT Directory Enquiries, I usually end up with someone on the phone who can't understand my accent or doesn't speak very clear English themselves, and generally I get so wound up trying to make them understand what number I want that I give up and use Yell.com! How does it take two weeks to choose applicants?

We desperately need him to get this job, so please cross your fingers for next week.
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2008, 01:28 PM
dont get me started on it!!! i had the same thing with a previous employer i went to 3 interviews for the job!!!!!!
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2008, 01:29 PM
Fingers crossed he gets the job

With my last interview they said they would let me know the following week but contacted me sooner. They may have said next Wed to give them time if they need it??
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2008, 01:30 PM
Fingers and paws crossed here.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2008, 03:34 PM
Everything crossed!!

The wait could be cos they are holding several different interview sessions; or that kind of thing.

I work in HR and some of our departments (depending how many applicants etc) hold 2 or 3 interview days then decide afterwards...
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2008, 04:37 PM
Fingers crossed that your OH has been successful.xx
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2008, 08:02 PM
Hope it all goes well for him.