Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2010, 08:07 AM

Gundog training

Etta had a go with gundog work on Tuesday evening. I met up with the spaniel member of the local club. They meet once a month but I wanted help before then if possible.

We went up on the chalk moors near where he lives with one of his dogs and Etta.

I had no idea how to teach the hunt quartering and she goes too wide so I need to work on her staying closer to me and turning on the whistle. I need to transfer my drop on command to drop on a whistle and make sure she knows that stop means stop!

The retrieves she did fine and she was good at the controlled sitting before being sent and when he let his dog have a dummy.Her water entry was described as 'brave' (G)! We did a quick scurry type retrieve at the end and she did that as well.

I was well chuffed with her and once I think I have the whistle commands sorted in different places I will go over again. He was very helpful and said to ring if I got stuck and he would come here if that was better.

I am well impressed with the trainer and the activity, it was fun watching her do what she has been bred for.

rune
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2010, 08:38 AM
sounds great, its brill watching them doing what they'e bred to do even if its just for fun.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2010, 08:50 AM
That sounds like a really useful lesson and it must've been great watching her

(Shame Tassle couldn't have gone along too with the camera)
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2010, 08:53 AM
that sounds fab!
Fotos would have been better
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2010, 10:39 AM
I'll try for photos next time. Thing is springers seem to need watching all the time, if I blink I miss her when she is hunting!

It will be just for fun I think unless I find non KC trials anywhere. She isn't registered.

rune
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2010, 10:53 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
I'll try for photos next time. Thing is springers seem to need watching all the time, if I blink I miss her when she is hunting!

It will be just for fun I think unless I find non KC trials anywhere. She isn't registered.

rune
scurries and tests at Gamefairs are a good place to try them out
powderworks
New Member!
Female 

16-06-2010, 06:36 AM
sounds really great, I'm getting my first working dog in about 6 weeks time and can't wait to see her working!
How old is yours?
Its great to see them doing what they were bred for, I'm getting a Clumber, will send pics when she arrives, can't wait!
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2010, 08:49 AM
Etta is just over a year now. I didn't get her to work, she came from a farm via an elderly lady who bought two bitches!

Pictures of a clumber would be great, not many around now are there? What made you choose that breed?

rune
powderworks
New Member!
Female 

16-06-2010, 11:31 AM
Finding a good breeder/kennels was the easy bit as they have very good contacts and finding a litter with bitches was a little harder!
I saw a show Clumber ages ago and got talking to people who had had them and thought thats for me but last year I was with my daughter beating and there was a man there with 2 working clumbers who were lovely.(Alot smaller) I'm going to see his pups this evening, unfortunately only 1 bitch and she has got a deposit on her, don't want a male.
I'm getting ready to lay a concrete base for a kennel, lets hope the sun shines up here for a while!: