Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-06-2012, 04:09 PM

Tinnitus

I have tinnitus and it is driving me nuts, especially as it is in my deaf ear and is disturbing the limited hearing I have in my other ear. It is like a whooshing noise at the same rhythm as my pulse, so of course if my pulse races so the whooshing noise not only turns up the rhythm but also the volume - if that makes sense.

I know that nothing can be done about it, but I wondered if there are any other sufferers on Dogsey, and what they do to try and distract themselves from letting it take over.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-06-2012, 05:29 PM
Dont have Tinnitus but it rings a bell....
Asti
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-06-2012, 02:54 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
I have tinnitus and it is driving me nuts, especially as it is in my deaf ear and is disturbing the limited hearing I have in my other ear. It is like a whooshing noise at the same rhythm as my pulse, so of course if my pulse races so the whooshing noise not only turns up the rhythm but also the volume - if that makes sense.

I know that nothing can be done about it, but I wondered if there are any other sufferers on Dogsey, and what they do to try and distract themselves from letting it take over.
Yes, like you Malka I suffer with it as well and I get the whooshing noise all of the time, it's like the noise you get when your first undo the top of a lemonade bottle, that whoosh noise. Sometimes it's louder than other times but it's always there.

I've had it for about three years now after not sleeping at all for one and a half weeks, I was given lots of different medications to try and help me to sleep in the third week of my insomnia. Only one lot of medication worked and as soon as it did tinnitus started and I've had it ever since. I've never been to the doctor about it, I've just put up with it but I will see if I can get it sorted at some stage. I think mine is due to all the different medications I took in a week to help me to sleep.

When I'm stressed it gets louder, does yours? I just put up with it and try to ignore it. Have you been to the doctor about it?

It is a nuisance that's for sure.
Pysces
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-06-2012, 07:50 PM
I'm hearing impaired and also have tinnitus - it sometimes bugs me more than the deafness!

I couldn't get on with the medication my GP gave me for it, so the only thing that works me for is to have other noise going on around me - the TV, radio or a little "white noise" device.

My tinnitus is a mixture - in my left ear it's a clicking, hissing type noise. My right ear is more of a roaring, whooshing (kind of like water flowing or a waterfall) type noise.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2012, 12:55 AM
I have tinnitus following the discovery of a brain tumour in 2005.

It drove me nuts for about 1 week after diagnosis, then I decided to abide by the old Shawshank Redemption quote:

Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'

The truth is tinnitus is mind over matter, I very rarely hear mine as I'm too busy living my life. I do go though a horrible period every couple of years where it suddenly gets louder and I think I'm going to die a very loud, rushing, whistling, death, but it usually subsides. That said, it's terrifying when it comes as I truly feel I'm going out of my mind, so I know how you feel. At these times the tinnitus is typically the first thing I hear on waking and the last thing I hear when I eventually manage to sleep, so I know how it can cause madness.

Any problems just PM me, I know where you're coming from.
rough
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-06-2012, 10:23 AM
i recently been diagnosed with it in my left ear , it doesn't bother me too much so quessing i don't have it as bad as some people.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

18-06-2012, 11:55 AM
It is not so bad if I have some music playing as that partially blocks the tinnitus, but then playing music removes most normal speech frequencies in my "good" ear, whether I am wearing my aid in that ear or not. [No aid in the ear with tinnitus as I have lost all speech frequencies in that ear.]

I am not sure why it is bothering me more now, but it is and I am getting a wee bit fed up with the relentless rhythmic whoosh whoosh whoosh.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2012, 12:53 PM
I am so sorry for all of you tinnitus sufferers I luckily am not but my best friend has it very loudly in one ear and it frequently changes tone/rhythm.

She constantly leaves a radio on during the day and then sleeps with the TV on. There was an article in the Daily Mail a couple of weeks ago about how TV can help tinnitus sufferers - I apologise if you have all tried this or it is old news.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2012, 01:34 PM
When was your blood pressure last checked?
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

18-06-2012, 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
When was your blood pressure last checked?
After reading your above post I just checked, and it is 130/78 - the systolic is slightly high but it is 4.50pm and very hot and I am in a lot of pain so I cannot complain about that reading.

My normal reading is ~100/70 but I do take some medication to keep it at level.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >