Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 06:30 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
Thank you for being honest & i respect you for being so considerate towards the cats owner. Im sure they appreciated it.

With regard *to it not being taken seriously. Any pet animal that attacks another irrespective of where it is or whose property its on, is considered an offence

There was the case of a Bullterrier kept outside while the owners were at work. The dog attacked & killed a domestic cat. Neighbours saw the dog dragging the body round the garden & reported it to relevant authorities.*

As it turned out the cat was a stray - owners left it behind when they moved & neighbours had been feeding it. As there was no owner it was decided no further action would be taken.*

The dog owner was visited and informed they had to keep the dog under control at all times.
But how was the dog not under control when it was in its own garden ????? the cat wasn't under control it was on the dogs property !!!
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 06:35 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
I'm just giving you the answer to your question. How does a cat owner stop their cat from entering gardens with dogs in? Simple, you contain it to your house or garden like you would a dog.

You've said that if a neighbour's dog killed your cat in their own garden, you'd report it as dangerously out of control. Why is a dog, contained in the owner's own property, dangerous or out of control? If my dog wandered into your garden and your dog attacked it, would I be in the right to report your dog as dangerously out of control?
The issue is cats, not dogs. If your dog somehow got into my garden it would be met by two very friendy dogs who haven't an ounce of nastiness between them
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 06:37 PM
The issue is cats, not dogs. If your dog somehow got into my garden it would be met by two very friendy dogs who haven't an ounce of nastiness between them
Do your dogs live with cats ? they may be ok with the cats they live with but generally they are not with other cats they may encounter
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 06:37 PM
Originally Posted by greyhoundk View Post
But how was the dog not under control when it was in its own garden ????? the cat wasn't under control it was on the dogs property !!!
I dont make the rules & regulations, i.e the law
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 06:39 PM
All 3 of my dogs have killed wild animals. Jessie has killed a rabbit and voles, Jed has a caught a couple of rabbits and a poult whereas Flynn's list is long and includes squirrels, rats, pheasants, rabbits, hares, chickens, waterfowl, voles, and pigeons. He's also attacked a swan and a Canada goose but I was able to stop those attacks and both were unharmed.

Yes, i'll hold my hands up and say I encourage my dogs to hunt and kill wild animals but not for bloodlust, for their food. However, some people may argue that dogs who kill prey regularly will chase and attack anything, with my dogs this isnt true.

I decide what they are allowed to chase which is differentiated by whether I encourage them or make it clear it's out of bounds. My dogs do not chase deer, they do not chase livestock and waterfowl are out of bounds (although some interest may be shown which is were my reinforcement comes in). In fact, they ignore deer and livestock totally and we come across both regularly. I'm sure they'd chase everything if I allowed them but it comes down to training.

Dogs have incredible noses and their eyesight is keen on movement, being able to differentiate between species by how they move (still objects are a different matter) so I dont buy the argument that little dogs running can be seen as prey without the other dog knowing it's a dog. Yes, instincts may take over and the movement triggers the prey drive but once that dog has caught the other or got close enough, it knows it's another bloomin dog!

This is why I find it hard to accept it when one dog kills another. Yes, it could be classed as instinct but i'd like to think that owners would make it clear to the dogs thats one particular instinct they cannot act upon. It's instinct for my dogs to chase sheep (especially the collies and especially with the high prey drive all my dogs have) but I would never tolerate them doing it and have reaffirmed to them constantly sheep are out of bounds so they ignore them.

There are many 'buts' and 'ifs' that people could throw at me such as "but what if you wasnt there" etc, we cannot control something if we do not know it's happening. I guess this is where managment comes in.

Jessie could be a potential problem for me. She attacks Jed more frequently than i'd prefer and in the past i've left them (within the small confines of the car where the conflict cannot be defused) and i've gone back to find the rear of the car bloody. When she goes for Jed I always find saliva on his neck which pinpoints the area she targets. Fortunately he has a thick ruff so she just gets a gobful of fur. Flynn never ever joins in, in fact he removes himself from the situation. I've been with them when she's turned on him and he's always just been minding his own business from what i've seen.

I fully accept that there are going to be times when altercations occur and not every dog will like all others, even the ones they live with but managment, my own behaviour and training should make it clear to my dogs that I expect them to live alongside each other with the minimal of fuss. If one attacked and killed, or even seriously injured another then, although I could understand that there may have been a canine reason, my human mind could not look at that dog in the same way. I'm not saying I would have the dog PTS but I would have to seriously review the levels of trust I bestowed upon that dog, whether I could let it remain within the household. I could perhaps forgive but I could never forget and i'd have to face that dog each day knowing what it did.

It may not have acted out of malice or through evil but the fact that it happened at all would be enough for me. People are saying that the killer dog should be classed as innocent, it knows no moral ground and it's a loved member of the family but for me, that love would be seriously tainted.

I'm trying to remember all the points I wanted to address but i've been interrupted and lost my train of thought. I dont actually know what this thread is getting at because the title is vague. Are we being asked whether ours has killed other animals, what we think of dogs who do it, whether that has any bearing on other humans/canines....? Thats my excuse for rambling anyway
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 06:42 PM
I dont make the rules & regulations, i.e the law
I never asked about the law i'm asking a general question ! i am aware of the law and a cat is classed as a wild animal, i can't be prosecuted if a cat comes in my garden and my dog kills its, its my property and the cat shouldn't be in it. If my dog got in someones garden and killed it than would be different because as you say the dog would be out of control.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 06:42 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
if my dogs killed a cat that was silly enough to come into my garden..i would be devastated for the owner and the cat...i would not think my dogs are dangerous or have the taste of blood..or from that think they would kill a dog!.

on the subject of dogs.. in my experience they do not attack sick animals either,.
dogs do have a problem with 'instability ' though and fits fall into this category imo.
Yes like most of us, we would find it an awful experience if a dog you owned killed another domestic pet
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 06:44 PM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
I'm sorry but if a neighbours cat is dumb enough to come into my garden while my dog is out then it takes its chances I'm afraid. I check for cats before letting him out and I'm at the door the whole time he's out, I'm not muzzling him in our own garden!
What makes you think cats are dumb?
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 06:46 PM
Yes like most of us, we would find it an awful experience if a dog you owned killed another domestic pet
what do u mean by that?

btw i have always lived with cats,this is the first time i havnt and i miss it
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 06:46 PM
Originally Posted by greyhoundk View Post
[/B]

What if said cat was in the neighbours garden ?
See my other post re the terrier that killed a cat
Page 18 of 56 « First < 8 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 28 > Last »