View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
anilerkan
Dogsey Junior
Male 

22-07-2008, 06:16 PM

My dog jumped and started mouthing and nipping! Help!

Just a few minutes ago I had a bad experience. I have a Lab. He's 16-17 months old.

I just installed in the garden a system where he can go back forth on lead between two poles.

He got stuck around a tree. So I went and freed him off. I lured off his position. Suddenly he thought it was a game or something (I guess) he started jumping up and down and mouthing my arms. I ignored at first and when it didnt stop I said NO. But the pace kept increasing.

I started to push him off of me. Which made him even more excited. I pinned him (an obvious mistake) as he completely freaked out.

I had to put him in his crate for him to calm down.

We have had this issue with one of our dog sitters. He had played rough with him when he was younger (about 8-10 months) although we had told him not to.

It did go on for awhile but as we ignored his behaviour it started to go away. Until today. It had been motnhs since he hasnt done this.

Since I wasnt expecting it I was caought off guard.

How can I ensure to stop this behaviour?

any ideas appreciated...

Thanks

PS He has basic training. He sits, stays (short) and lies down. Recall works only on long leash at the moment.

He also has each day 2 hours of walk 1 hour on leash and 1 hour off leash
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2008, 06:58 PM
This is why it is so important not to condone mouthing and wrestling games As the dog gets older, they get more powerful and the games get more boisterous. The bites can get harder and harder as they 'test' their opponent and it can result in a worst case scenario of the dog having to be PTS and or someone getting seriously hurt.

Unfortunately because your dog-sitter has encouraged this trait it is going to be a difficult behaviour to stop, but it can be done. It will take lots of training and perseverance though.

I presume this person no longer dog-sits for you? If they do I would find someone else who respects your wishes

Please do not ignore this behaviour, this clearly doesn't work - he needs to be corrected the moment he does this. Do it in such a way that he knows and understands in no uncertain terms, that it is an undesirable trait and won't be tolerated.

As soon as he mouths you again, you must verbally correct him straight away and use a gruff tone of voice so he knows he has done wrong. A very sharp No or Arghh should do it. Don't push him backwards forcefully, this is probably what your dog-sitter did and all it will do is make him come back twice as hard to continue the game. He thinks that biting is allowed. He is getting to that age that he is getting more mature and as such will 'test' you more and more as he tries to dominate you.

Don't allow him to jump up when greeting you, he must calm down first and I would only pet him when he is calm and all four feet on the floor. Make sure all your family members and friends do the same. Don't allow any more wrestling games at all.

I would seek the help of a professional, they will be able to give you guidance on how to teach him manners again. Try and set more time aside per day to do a bit of training with him, at his age he should be able to do off-lead recall, off-lead heelwork no problem. By training him regularly he will earn more respect for you and not challenge as much as he will know his place.

Good luck with your training
anilerkan
Dogsey Junior
Male 

22-07-2008, 09:27 PM
Thanks for the informative post.

And no we havent kept that dog sitter.

I just went back and put him on a long leash. I practiced recall. AFter he came back he started jumping and nipping and mouthing. I ignored turned my back. He continued for a while and started playing and chewing the long leash.

I kept my cool and told him to sit.Then I rewarded him.

It even started to lessen just in this training session itself!

Or was it just coincidence? Is this right? My approach?
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2008, 09:32 PM
Originally Posted by anilerkan View Post
Thanks for the informative post.

And no we havent kept that dog sitter.

I just went back and put him on a long leash. I practiced recall. AFter he came back he started jumping and nipping and mouthing. I ignored turned my back. He continued for a while and started playing and chewing the long leash.

I kept my cool and told him to sit.Then I rewarded him.

It even started to lessen just in this training session itself!

Or was it just coincidence? Is this right? My approach?
I think your approach is right. it is always best to stay calm, if the dog is getting pushy, mouthy etc, being noisey with them and trying to physically retrain them is like fighting fire with fire.

Your calm approach, given absolutly no reward for mouthing, turning your back etc or giving a counter command, should help. I always teach "off" but never use a firm voice, only a light calm voice. I find using harsher tones tends to worsen the situation. Some people may see ignoring a behaviour as condoning it but really dogs want your attention so removing all attention (eye contact, verbal attention, physical contact etc) acts as a punishment as the dog gets no attention at all. You can then wait for them to calm slightly and give them a counter command e.g. something they cannot do at the same time as the unwanted behaviour.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2008, 02:50 PM
I agree that ignoring certain behaviours such as jumping up and waiting until they are calm is a good idea. But, personally I would never ignore play-biting.

I do believe it is a behaviour that needs to be rectified.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2008, 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by Anne-Marie View Post
I agree that ignoring certain behaviours such as jumping up and waiting until they are calm is a good idea. But, personally I would never ignore play-biting.

I do believe it is a behaviour that needs to be rectified.

Yep i definately agree that it has to be rectified, but personally i would go for the staying calm, no attention/reinforcement option and teaching off. It sounds like the sitter has given the dog the impression that mouthing during games is fun and acceptable but, as you say, it is absolutly not! That's why i would go for the absolutly ignoring the dog stance....as the dog wants to play therefore the ignoring is removing what he is seeing as is reward i.e. the "game" continuing.

By the time they are 7 months i think all dogs should understand that there teeth never ever touch human skin, unless they are invited to do so. Tonks is 6 months and she knows that if her teeth ever touch us, by accident, during play the game stops instantly! I, like you, do not agree with playing rough at all. Some people's reactions to this are odd, i have been told that i am cruel as it is natural for a staff to want to play rough and hang off you arm and "have a bit of a wrestle". Not in my house it isn't!!

It does sound like the OP could do with some guidance on how to build up a stronger relationship with the dog where the dog respects them more and is more responsive to them. (sorry to talk about you OP but i have forgotten yoru name!)