View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2014, 04:14 PM
Ehh, I muzzled and leashed Jade when Nigredo got here since he was a defenseless puppy. She was the resident dog, but she doesn't mind her muzzle and wears it all the the time. It was done more as a precaution than prevention because I knew she would eventually "beta" to a male, like she always does. Took only a few days for her to relax, and then it came off. Dogs are not stupid, your new girl does not think Alfie is prey, what silly shelter people!

Give them time, and remember, don't trap Alfie with the new dog. She may defend herself if he attacks and dogs can do tons of damage even with muzzles. My two have a terse truce, you avoid me, I avoid you. Not ideal, but mostly peaceful. Some dogs never truly get along with other dogs (there goes the pack mentality nonsense) and are better as only dogs. Jade didn't like my last male either, and she grew up with him.
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2014, 05:00 PM
Its common procedure with all greyhounds, even when my friend got a second greyhound they were both to be muzzled for the first short while.

The rescue were very good at telling me which girls they thought would be fine with alfie, and I went for the girl who was least interested in his movement and so far she has been completely perfect.

My parents were here for a while earlier and at the start alfie still growled at her but then after a bit he was sniffing her again and was being really good. Parents have just left and they both went to the door as I shut it to see, and he only gave her a bit of a growl as she went past him and they are now sleeping again.

Hopefully they will be okay in time.
buglysprince
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-12-2014, 05:45 PM
I don't think you have to worry, it's perfectly normal behaviour which with time should settle, I wouldn't remove the muzzle yet greyhounds are used to wearing them and are not usually bothered by it. When I introduced my second greyhound it took several weeks for them to accept each other but are now inseperable.
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2014, 05:53 PM
Thanks!

He has been a little grumpy this afternoon but not as bad at all, so hopefully will just be needing time to settle.

Have been for 2 walks today at about an hour each and they were fine when out and about.

Jiat never done this before so wasn't sure what is normal and what isn't!
gordon mac
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-12-2014, 08:50 PM
There are some opinions being offered on here by people (albeit well meaning) who have no knowledge of greyhounds. If the rescue waited till every dog could be released without muzzling etc., then it would soon be full up and no further rescues could be undertaken. YOU ARE DOING THE RIGHT THING, just persevere, as she is a failed racer it should be quite a quick rehabilitation process. There is no magic wand or quick fix, it takes time. When I introduced my fell terrier pup to my very large working lurchers (deerhound size) I kept her in a separate room for 3 weeks and only gradually did I give them acess to her for scenting identification so they got used to her, all the time this was happening she was on my knee, while the older dogs were called in one at a time and told to sit in front of me and conduct a nice orderely intro. Then when she first accompanied them on walks, she was caried in a game-bag over my shoulder, so they could get used to her presence. Now, they run and fight and play together and rather unbelievably the tiny, black, curly scrap at only 7kgs bosses even my big 46kg dog about. So it can be done - just don't expect your terrier to take to a big interloper right away. Don't give up, or despair, for it WILL come right eventually, you and your terrier will just have to employ a little patience (terriers by their wvery nature are a bit bolshie). Good luck.
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2014, 09:27 PM
Thank you!

He has been interacting with her for small points this evening, going over for a sniff etc and all was well.

Up until about 10 mins ago I had alfie lying on his bed beside my right foot and Breagh leaning against my left leg, both being stroked. They were that close for a good 10-15 mins with no problems or growling at all.

I feel you are right and that it can be done, and that is will just take time.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-12-2014, 09:35 PM
Originally Posted by gordon mac View Post
There are some opinions being offered on here by people (albeit well meaning) who have no knowledge of greyhounds. k.
No....some people just have a different opinion to yours ( and others).

Yes it can work, but this persons opinion is one that would not risk my existing dogs to the extent of having to muzzle the new dog, just be be safe.
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2014, 09:45 PM
I do understand and completely see where you are coming from, but due to the size difference I would just rather be safe than sorry is all.
marley123
Dogsey Senior
Male 

27-12-2014, 10:40 PM
It is a grey hound, they have been bred for. 100s of years to chase and finally given the chance kill small furry animals,
It seems common sense for rescues to advise this idea for the introduction and until dogs know each other,
My dog lives with my cat and is fine with the farm cats and others that I have introduced him to, how ever if he seen one in a field his hunt instinct would kick in and he would want to kill it.
My point is you can't be 100% that a greyhound wouldn't see a small dog running across the house and attack it
gordon mac
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-12-2014, 10:42 PM
Jackie - I have no problem with people who have a different opinion to myself. All are entitled to their view! In the related thread Got Another Dog: Post #19, you state that you "worked in a greyhound racing kennels, many many years ago, so there's nothing I don't understand about them". Even after that great length of time I doubt whether the temperament or prey drive of greyhounds has changed, even a little. I for my part have kept large lurchers for some 54 years have worked them, and still do, raced them, shown them and judged them at some of the most prestigious events in the UK. Always alongside my lurchers, I have kept working terriers to compliment my working team. However as regards running dogs I would never dream of saying "there's nothing I don't understand about them" I am not possessed of such conceit. During my time with running dogs, I might add, I have never had an "accident" where they have attacked or injured, livestock, other people's pets, or my own small terriers. This is down to patience, reward based training and a sensible belt and braces attitude where new additions are concerned. Was just attempting to support and encourage Kammi Sparky 123, who it seems is new to this set of situations. No need to reply, I've wasted enough time with this post - but refuse to have my cage rattled and not respond.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >