Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Marceline
New Member!
Female 

03-11-2014, 01:54 AM

Hello and please help!

Hi! My name is Marceline and I am new here. I found this website while looking online for an answer to a problem that I am currently having. My fiance and I recently got a puppy. We are having a few difficulties with introducing her to our adult dog that we have had for a little over a year, but they are progressing just fine. The puppy appears to be a great dane/pit bull mix. She is beautiful and so sweet, a little mischievous, but a good girl. The problem is that when playing she slaps with those great big paws of hers. She doesn't mean to hurt, I know that, but I am now covered in bruises and I just don't know what to do. Our adult dog (a pit bull/springer spaniel mix) doesn't want to play with her either, because the pup constantly swats her in the face. I have tried dropping the toy and ignoring her when she does this as it worked to get her to stop jumping when we come home and I have tried making a sharp unhappy noise when she does it, but nothing get's through to her. Please help!
Jakesmummy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-11-2014, 11:31 AM
How old is she as it does take time .i have the same prob with my 8 month old collie. For now I'd say stop the play .when she jumps up get up and walk off .u have to keep this up.
Try some treat training . When she's over excited have someone she likes in your pocket. And show her and get her . Also nice good walk if she's old enough really helps xx
Wolfwitch
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-11-2014, 03:41 PM
I think you are doing the right thing. Stop playing as soon as she does it and do it consistently. Just a firm, low "no" when she uses her paws, turn away from her and end the game. Reward her for being relaxed and not over excited with a treat or initiating a game. Play games that encourage her to stay low, like throwing a ball rather than playing tug or wrestling with her. Make sure everyone else in the household follows the same rules. Your older dog is showing you the way by not playing with her in that state. It'll just take some time for her to click. Both Danes and Bulldogs are exuberant dogs and it might take them a bit longer to give up on the fun they are having

I think it's important to tackle it now before she gets too big and it becomes a real problem when the behaviour is ingrained.
Marceline
New Member!
Female 

03-11-2014, 04:56 PM
She seems to be less than a year. We literally just got her last week and she has a vet appointment tomorrow. So, hopefully, they can tell us.
Thank you for the advice! I needed to know if I was on the right track or if there was something better that I could be doing for her. We are doing everything that we can to train her and it is even helping with our older dog, Arya. She just turned four this month and we have only had her for a year, but she was pretty shaken up when we got her. Lots of anxiety and fear.
Us training Nymeria is helping us stay on track with Arya and we hope that once Nymeria is a bit older that they can be the best of friends. There are two other dogs in our household (not ours) and they are shelties and have honestly just been rotten to Arya. Here's to hoping for a happy sisterhood between our two girls.
Marceline
New Member!
Female 

03-11-2014, 05:04 PM

Our two girls. Arya is the one with the darker brown coloring. Nymeria has the brindle.
Jakesmummy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-11-2014, 05:47 PM
Awwww there lovely. I would think having other dogs around has made her even more excited . I'm sure it's just a time thing xx
Lindsay&River
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-11-2014, 12:40 AM
I think you are on the right track by ignoring her when she does it. You don't even have to ignore her for long. Just a minute or so. Then if she does it again, turn away from her again. She'll get the hint as long as she isn't given any attention for it.

As I'm sure you're doing, rewarding her for having all four paws on the ground will be helpful in the long run and of course working on basic obedience like sit, stay, down, etc.

I've had success using a firm "off" command too to signal no jumping. That could also work to simply mean "paws off me!"

I'm sure things will go great, as it's only been a week.
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-11-2014, 02:13 AM
I don't know if it will help any but when we adopted our Callie he was a young adult. When he played he would get WAY over-excited and I felt like a dog toy for awhile there. It wasn't aggression, he thought he was playing but for his size and jaw strength...rather painful to say the least.

I discovered plastic bottles. Just regular empty seltzer bottles. He is so enamored over a bottle being tossed to him that he would probably ignore a steak on the floor to get a new bottle. I have them stashed all over the house now.

If he starts playing too hard or jumping when I get home...toss him a bottle and he prances off to chomp it flat, then he usually falls asleep, it totally relaxes him. Perhaps you can find a similar toy that will give your baby something to paw and chew besides you.
Wolfwitch
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-11-2014, 02:53 PM
Originally Posted by lovemybull View Post
I discovered plastic bottles. Just regular empty seltzer bottles. He is so enamored over a bottle being tossed to him that he would probably ignore a steak on the floor to get a new bottle. I have them stashed all over the house now.

Oww. Fab idea.. I bet stuffed Kongs would really help here as well!
Marceline
New Member!
Female 

04-11-2014, 05:40 PM
We have cut cow femurs that we stuffed with ground beef and homemade mashed sweet potatoes. They sit and chew on them for hours. It is great. lol