Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AlannaJohan
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-05-2009, 10:03 PM

Kennel Names: How Many Breeds?

So, this might be moved to general but I thought for this question would be most relevant for those of you who show or breed dogs under a registered Kennel Club affix:

So, does anybody know through theory or experience whether there is there a limit to the number of different breeds that can be registered with your affix? I am aware that when you fill out the intital registration forms there is only room for two different breeds, but is that the limit or are those to be considered the name's main interest only and the name is open for use on any KC registerable dog?

Cheers in advance for your help!

Alanna
x
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2009, 12:55 AM
I believe there isn't a limit. You can put any dog that is in your name under your affix either at the end or at the beginning if you bred it.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2009, 08:28 AM
There is no limit. One affix as many breeds as you like although I know some people do have a different affix for each of their breeds.
Becky
AlannaJohan
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-05-2009, 08:33 AM
Originally Posted by megan57collies View Post
I believe there isn't a limit. You can put any dog that is in your name under your affix either at the end or at the beginning if you bred it.
Thank's Megan. I was suspecting as much as I couldn't find a statement of limitation anywhere on the KC website, but that only 2 spaces are available on the intial form got me thinking (which can always have dangerous consequences )

Does anybody know of any examples where this has been done, just as a bit of final confirmation?
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2009, 08:36 AM
Where what has been done?
Becky
AlannaJohan
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-05-2009, 08:40 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
There is no limit. One affix as many breeds as you like although I know some people do have a different affix for each of their breeds.
Oops! Sorry Becki, was typing while you posted. Thanks for that. So there also isn't a limit to the number of kennel names one individual can be registered to?

And as a completely different question on a matter of personal opinion, do you prefer, even if its the same person, to see different names specific to each breed in the showring, or is there something preferential in recognising that person across a variety of different breeds?

Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Where what has been done?
Where the same Kennel name has been used on three breeds or more?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-05-2009, 04:33 PM
Originally Posted by AlannaJohan View Post
Oops! Sorry Becki, was typing while you posted. Thanks for that. So there also isn't a limit to the number of kennel names one individual can be registered to?

And as a completely different question on a matter of personal opinion, do you prefer, even if its the same person, to see different names specific to each breed in the showring, or is there something preferential in recognising that person across a variety of different breeds?

Where the same Kennel name has been used on three breeds or more?
Yes, there are many..if you do a search you will find many breeders have more than one breed!

I personally know some who have 3 breeds all running under the same Affix!!

Breeders have many reasons why they have different breeds..some are retiring form bigger breeds , some have family members interested in other breeds..but like to keep their "known" Affix.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

04-05-2009, 04:36 PM
I though you only use your Affix at the end of a dogs name if you have 1) bought it in..2) taken it as a stud fee... with either ...for or at????

I thought you put your Affix at the beginning of the name, if you have bred it .

And that one still confuses me... FOR or AT

Which means which
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2009, 05:00 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
I though you only use your Affix at the end of a dogs name if you have 1) bought it in..2) taken it as a stud fee... with either ...for or at????

I thought you put your Affix at the beginning of the name, if you have bred it .
You do, which is what megan57collies said Although reading it I can see how you can interpret it differently, I am assuming they meant for it to be read like this:

I believe there isn't a limit. You can put any dog that is in your name under your affix either at the end, or at the beginning if you bred it.
And that one still confuses me... FOR or AT

Which means which
There are several bridging words that you can use, I personally use 'of' but several friends use by, via, cum, with etc
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

04-05-2009, 05:34 PM
Originally Posted by Greyhawk View Post
You do, which is what megan57collies said Although reading it I can see how you can interpret it differently, I am assuming they meant for it to be read like this:

There are several bridging words that you can use, I personally use 'of' but several friends use by, via, cum, with etc
I know , I can remember a very old friend of time explaining the significance of one or the other..and where and why you use it..

Maybe it needs its own thread???

I understood .. say if you buy a dog in not related to yours , you register it as ...

The dogs name, including his/her Affix, then AT "your Affix.

If you bring one in, say as a stud fee ??? you use "for" or is it the other way round??

Never get it right, but there is a correct way I am sure.?????
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >