Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

24-01-2008, 03:24 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Eunice, I hope my previous post didn't make it sound like I thought that everybody who didn't choose to rescue was a snob...I don't think that at all, as I hope you know.

Everyone on Dogsey is so supportive of those of us with rescue dogs that I would hate to be misunderstood (and especially you, with your very kind support with the recent loss of Kip).

Not in the least misunderstood Fiona I didn't think you meant that for amoment . I just wanted to point out that because I show I go to a reputable breeders but not for a snobbish reason and that if I retire from showing then I may choose to go for a rescue.

I know how much you loved and miss your Kip and I understand how everyone feels when they loose their beloved friend, doesn't matter to me whether it is a dog from a breeder or a rescue dog, a purebred or a crossbreed I know they are all loved and missed to the same degree.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2008, 03:24 PM
We got a pup rather than a recue because we knew the breed we wanted, we researched it very carefully and we wanted my son to experience having a puppy of his own.
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

24-01-2008, 03:35 PM
Colin/Sal

I have to say in my Breed rescue it is 99.9 per cent certain you would not get any papers.

My first borzoi was a rescue but it was a private rescue and I got his papers, but anyone I know who has rescued from the Breed Rescue or a rescue centre have never got the papers.
Hammer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

24-01-2008, 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
But surely any reputable breeder would also being doing most of these checks and asking appropriate questions about the breed?
I agree.

Following on from another post though, if you don't all go to the rescue centre, they won't let you adopt.

Now my wife was totally uninterested. She said to me, if you want a dog...you go and get it. However, the RSPCA insisted she came. It actually caused my wife and I to fight about it, because my heart was set on Benson, and it all hinged on my wife (who wasn't even interested) going to see him. Forget the fact I'd owned a Boxer since 1992, they insisted she came.

Would you get the same hassle from a breeder? Surely choosing a dog shouldn't cause divorce
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2008, 04:15 PM
Originally Posted by lovezois View Post
Colin/Sal

I have to say in my Breed rescue it is 99.9 per cent certain you would not get any papers.

My first borzoi was a rescue but it was a private rescue and I got his papers, but anyone I know who has rescued from the Breed Rescue or a rescue centre have never got the papers.
I thought it was pretty much accross the board,I've never heard of rescues giving the papers out before.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2008, 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
I agree.

Following on from another post though, if you don't all go to the rescue centre, they won't let you adopt.

Now my wife was totally uninterested. She said to me, if you want a dog...you go and get it. However, the RSPCA insisted she came. It actually caused my wife and I to fight about it, because my heart was set on Benson, and it all hinged on my wife (who wasn't even interested) going to see him. Forget the fact I'd owned a Boxer since 1992, they insisted she came.

Would you get the same hassle from a breeder? Surely choosing a dog shouldn't cause divorce

Playing devils advocate here to a certain extent, but IMO they did have a point. Whatever the circumstances (e.g. a breeder/rescue worker), I think I would be very reluctant to home a dog where one party was not so dis-interested & I would need to know more from them direct - e.g. if she's not interested, fair enough, but did she understand your commitment in getting one and how would she cope with the dog being around? Would she begrudge the money you will need to spend on the dog? Would it be likely that at some point she would turn around and say 'its me or the dog'?

I might be wrong, but I think most decent breeders would have been as concerned.
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2008, 04:36 PM
I have had rescues in the past, and never had a problem with them.

Yes, we were given the third degree, but I would expect a good breeder to do the same

I currently have one breeder bought loony and one private rescue/rehome loony. They are both nutters, both bright, fun,both love children, mine and anyone elses, except one cost a lot of money and one didn't. Also, one comes with a pedigree as long as my arm, the other didn't.

My kids have grown up with rescue dogs, and I will have them again.There are many breeds I would love to own, but I will always have room for a rescue dog.

I think there is a lot of snobbery about dogs, when people used to ask me who Meggie was out of , I used to say her MUM I have seen loads of snobbery towards my own dogs because one is a cross and one isn't.

I am blessed with two slightly mad young dogs, and I love them the same no matter where they came from, or what papers they have.
Hammer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

24-01-2008, 05:04 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Would it be likely that at some point she would turn around and say 'its me or the dog'
Now, that would be any easy decision
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2008, 05:05 PM
Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
Now, that would be any easy decision
Note I didn't actually ask you what your answer would have been
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2008, 05:10 PM
It is a very good question and one i've not deliberated over really.

Both Jed and Flynn were from breeders, we hadnt considered a rescue dog before that. Flynn is an accidental crossbreed from a breeder and I paid £250 for him, Jed was £130 (no papers). We chose to buy from a breeder because then we knew their history and we could mould them into the kind of dogs we wanted (theoretically of course!)

With a rescue you are taking a big chance, especially if they are an adult, as often, you dont know what theyre past life has been like, what behaviours they might have etc.

We've just got a young Doberman from a rescue and I have to say it's been a painstaking decision as, although he seems like a sweet natured dog all round, he may have some underlying issues which havent come out yet.
A rescue dog is a gamble and some people arent in a position to gamble like that. However, you are doing a wonderful thing by taking a dog out of kennels and giving it a caring home.

With hindsight, I perhaps would have chosen a collie from a rescue as they are in abundance but Flynn is a rare crossbreed and I was looking for something specific when I bought him. Albeit there are breed specific rescues...
Page 6 of 23 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 > Last »