Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2007, 05:37 PM

Broken canine tooth - what do i do??

OH just noticed that chinas right canine tootha has snapped clean off about 1/4 of the way up from the tip all the way through...

she doesnt seem in any pain and is eating fine...

do we just leave it or do we need to get to the vet?

Alex
xx
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2007, 05:52 PM
My first dog, Winston, used to chew rocks and he broke all his canines and no problems whatsoever, I kept an eye on them but he was not in pain so I didn't worry.
Ellie has the two lower canines very worn and again no pain, but I just keep an eye on them.
Becky
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-10-2007, 06:01 PM
Hi Alex if you are pretty sure the tooth isn't causing any pain or is very sharp I would get it checked out when next you are at the vet rather than treating it as an emergency .

Vets are often reluctant to remove a broken tooth unless they really have to, sometimes a gap in the teeth can cause the other teeth to move creating a problems with the bite.

I have also seen a tooth removed and the gum grow up to fill the gap causing no obvious discomfort at all.
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2007, 06:06 PM
thanks! i just imagine it being very painful, but she ate her kibble no probs!
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2007, 06:10 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Alex if you are pretty sure the tooth isn't causing any pain or is very sharp I would get it checked out when next you are at the vet rather than treating it as an emergency .

Vets are often reluctant to remove a broken tooth unless they really have to, sometimes a gap in the teeth can cause the other teeth to move creating a problems with the bite.

I have also seen a tooth removed and the gum grow up to fill the gap causing no obvious discomfort at all.
its pretty sharp around the edge of it but she has shown no discomfort at all....

thanks guys!