Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-11-2004, 03:52 PM

Burglar-proof your home!

Daytime TV is not my thing, really - usually, I watch it first thing, during my "Goggling Cup" of coffee, whilst I try to come to terms with being awake :smt015 Once I find myself understanding the words, it's time to switch off

This morning, however, there was a programme about burglar-proofing your home, where some daft family sign up to have their houses smacked about by the BBC's specially-hired ex-burglar. Today's family were totally reliant on their dogs to do all the anti-burglar work.

However, not only did the dogs do nothing, they welcomed the burglar into the house, and one of them was quite happy to be dog-napped (it went off happily with the guy when he "stole" the woman's car!).

It made me wonder what my lads would do, if faced with a burglar. As there is only one door to Snorri Mansions, anyone entering has to negotiate the dogs at some point. What I think might happen is that Kali would greet the "guest" with his usual "in yer face" alacrity, and Snorri would raise the roof barking. Neither would make an effort to chase the stranger away. However, with the usual Border Collie instinct to herd things, they might well try to stop the thief from leaving! If the thief, having got out once successfully, tried to come back in for "second helpings", I suspect that Kali might well have his leg - his attitude seems to be that "once he's out, he stays out"!

I have seen that some (all??) insurance companies have ceased to regard a dog as any sort of security "device", so I wonder just how much reliance can we put on our hairy friends ourselves. I would rely on my guys to wake me if It was a night burglary, but if they were home alone.............???

Over to you!

Snorri

(PS - some might think that being in the boonies makes me immune, but this is a low-crime area, not a no-crime area, and these things do happen here, albeit very rarely)
mand p
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2004, 04:03 PM
My mum was burgled whilst out shopping. Her spinger spaniel (Webster ) didn't bark and the thief got in and out with quite a bit of stuff
She always thought that having a dog would deter thiefs but obviously not..although the police did suggest that they had thrown a snack down for him whilst they went about robbing the place
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2004, 04:05 PM
Scrumpy stopped our house being burgled, he barked like crazy!!! wouldnt let them in!

Purdey would probably go mental too, shes very loyal, but ruby would welcome then in with tea and cakes!!
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-11-2004, 04:07 PM
Star would bark if anyone tried to break in. She has quite a mean bark if she feels frightened.
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2004, 04:07 PM
well we've had 3 suspected break ins and dog did nothing altho he did bark when someone tried to get in in the middle of the night.

And our postman was scared of our little bichon until he actually saw him! lol. hes one of those dogs who throws himself at the door when the posty comes and rips up all the mail.

Indie sometimes barks when someone comes to the door, but she would quite happily allow someone to come in and steal everything and probably let em walk off with her... unless they grabbed her collar of course! lol
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2004, 04:49 PM
My dogs bark when someone walks down the road on the other side!
When people come up the drive they go crazy.
Kingsley would *try* to get people, but he's so little! He's not keen on men, so if the burgler was a man, he'd bite his ankles!

I'm not sure abut Teagan...she growls, and has a scary bark, but she's so friendly!
mand p
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2004, 06:33 PM
My 4 own the road
Annestaff
Supervisor

09-11-2004, 07:05 PM
I think my 4 would proberbally bark but if the intruder fed them food like the burglar did in the programe this morning I reckon they'd let anyone rumage round the house.

Saying that though Harvey looks quite aggresive when he barks so hopefullly that would be enough to scare them off.
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

09-11-2004, 11:56 PM
Rocky has a very deep growl and bark so hopefully peopl would think twice about robbing us!
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

10-11-2004, 04:34 AM
I think it would take a brave/foolish and very determined person to try to get past my two. I don't think that they would actually attack anyone making an unauthorised entry (hope they are never put in that situation), but they sound and look as though they can't wait to tear 'trespassers' limb from limb. My biggest fear should anyone break in has always been not what they would take, but whether they would hurt the dogs.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >