Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2013, 11:49 AM

Spaying costs

Apparently neutering costs can be very varied, so I found out that my area is pretty expensive.
Sasha is booked in tomorrow morning to get spayed, cost for normal spay (she's 15kg) is £210-£240.
Wow, now I wouldn't consider not spaying her as I have Samson too and her first season was a nightmare with keeping them seperate, so needs must but I now see why some people are restriced in doing this for their dogs, accidental matings are not happening on my watch and we would like to think that most people would not allow it either, but seriously if they want to have less pups per year abandoned and homeless, this is something that needs to be looked in to?
I know the arguments about not getting a dog if you can't afford all it's needs but things change, and I am sure even responsible people may put off till after the next season to spay if that month they can't quite afford it, then where does that end?
They get away with no problems another time and then risk it again and again??
No arguments please just a thought, I realise we don't all neuter etc but for me with 2 opposite sexed dogs and staffies at that it is right for me, I know it is not right for all of us and I don't assume everyone are numpties who's dogs get pregnant by any tom dick or harry, but it does happen and to more than a handful of people out there.
rough
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-01-2013, 12:03 PM
thats a fairly reasonable charge tbo. i opted for a laparosocopy spay, was much cheaper.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2013, 12:04 PM
We have started putting money in a jar (amazing how quick coppers add up) and will go without rather than not get Betty neutered at the right time. I know our vet isn't the cheapest in the area but I trust him and that is what I pay for I guess, he isn't even the closest to me I have to drive to him. But the closest proved not to be the best on a couple of occasions.
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2013, 12:04 PM
Originally Posted by rough View Post
thats a fairly reasonable charge tbo. i opted for a laparosocopy spay, was much cheaper.
? Is that key hole spay? That is £387 here.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-01-2013, 12:08 PM
Pereg was spayed on 3 September 2009 [Approximate age 9 months and 3 months after her first season]. Her weight was then 13kg. The cost was £85 [according to today's rate of exchange]. It did not include any pain medication as my Vet did not and does not believe in pain medication when he thinks it is not necessary, and she did not need it - nor did Little One when she was spayed at also approx the same age, some years earlier.

Little One was spayed at the same surgery but by a previous vet who used regular stitches. Ram spayed Pereg and he usually uses staples but because at that time I did not know how to remove staples [I do now] and neither he nor I thought she required a follow-up check, he used normal stitches so I could remove them myself.

She had a full spay, uterus [ovariohysterectomy - they both did] which included ovaries, and was running down the path when she was brought home later that afternoon - jumping on furniture and my bed the following day.

I do not remember how much it cost for Little One but it was less than that.
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2013, 12:08 PM
This is our regular vet, on calling a few out of interest we are about on an even keel but out of county is almost half that cost so i've been told??
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2013, 12:12 PM
When I took her for her first check up when I got her (she was 17 weeks when we rehomed her) I asked about price of spay and they said £157, but maybe they priced her on her size then??? but I was waiting for her to be at least 1 before spaying and she is now 1 x x
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

30-01-2013, 12:24 PM
I am having Cariad spayed with her having had an infection this time, and I have been quoted £300, she weighs in at around 40kg
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2013, 12:31 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
I am having Cariad spayed with her having had an infection this time, and I have been quoted £300, she weighs in at around 40kg
So more than 2x Sasha's weight that's interesting.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-01-2013, 12:43 PM
Not everyone puts off spaying due to cost though. I have 3 entire bitches and no plans to breed any of them. One is 6 years old and has had her spay put off by me due to the issues she came with and tbh the longer I've put it off the less inclined I am to have it done. On the other hand I have a spayed bitch who has gone on to develop spay incontinence and is now on meds for life. My males are all neutered so no chance of any dodgy crosses or unplanned litters. The cost of the spay has never been an issue for me.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »