View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2011, 08:22 PM
Oh flip, what a worry. It seems so strange that she is virtually normal in herself, but has this unknown problem going on inside.

I too would be at the vet tomorrow, Sunday or not, and hopefully they can give Zena something to tide her over until the results are in.

Hugs for all of you.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2011, 08:31 PM
I buy the Pro - Kolin online as its far cheaper than from your vet, in fact had two tubes delivered this morning and I only ordered them yesterday lunchtime. That was just by normal first class post too. You can pay extra to garruntee next day delivery.
Hope it soon all settles down. My two get gurgly tummys and the runs with mucus in itoccasionally but I just starve them for 24 hours and a dose of Pro- Kolin sorts it. I realise Zena may not have what ever causes theirs so the same may not work for her. I have always done the starving 24 hours with all my dogs and apart from a couple of times when it was something more complicated it has worked.
Gentle hugs to Zena and some to dear Georgie boy too.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2011, 08:54 PM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
Sorry to hear Zena is stil not right. Fingers crossed it is easily sorted.
Originally Posted by WhichPets View Post
Good luck at the vets tomorrow, I guess if shes not quite as active as usual then it is bothering her.

Perhaps stock up on Pro-Kolin (is that the grey stuff you meant?) from the vets just incase.

Hope it all goes ok, poor you and Zena they are worries! Kestrals paw is still a disaster, its been re-opening and not drying out well so there may well be a vet trip for me too on Monday if it worsens.

Gosh they are such worries!!!! All the best to you both X
OH dear, that pad still not right then? Your problem is the fact that it's a pad and not the carpal pads like I always had, so it's constantly being re-opened purely by her standing or walking isn't it! Hope you won't need a vet.xx

Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
I would not starve unless a 'clued up' vet advised it. They changed the advice for treating kids with diarrhoea and sickness years ago. Used to be starve them for 3 days only fluids. Now it is feed them as normal - starving them only stops them passing the nasties. If they eat normally and evacuate more they will get rid of it quicker.

Same with any miracle diarrhoea cures. They only bung you up to stop you going. Having a congealed mass in your stomach/intestines so you won't need to fly to the loo every five minutes is not the same as getting rid of the CAUSE of the problem. In fact, modern thinking says it can PROLONG it.
These are my feelings on this. I've Googled today till my eyes hurt lol! Dogs systems seem to know how to get rid of the bad, so I'm loathe to start bunging her up, especially as we've already seen the vet on this, I think he would have prescribed some bunging up paste if he thought it necessary. I've never been one to starve them unless they are telling me they don't want food, whereas this monster is ravenous at the moment, she'd eat a horse! I shall just be careful with the amounts and what I give her. Thanks!

Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
Oh flip, what a worry. It seems so strange that she is virtually normal in herself, but has this unknown problem going on inside.

I too would be at the vet tomorrow, Sunday or not, and hopefully they can give Zena something to tide her over until the results are in.

Hugs for all of you.
Thanks Sally. If nothing else, it will put my mind at rest. I want them to have a feel of her underneath. She's now gone into crazy Zena mode coz I let them out into the garden in the hope that she might have a poo on the grass - big mistake, she ran and got her ball instead This dog will be the death of me ya know!!!

Originally Posted by madmare View Post
I buy the Pro - Kolin online as its far cheaper than from your vet, in fact had two tubes delivered this morning and I only ordered them yesterday lunchtime. That was just by normal first class post too. You can pay extra to garruntee next day delivery.
Hope it soon all settles down. My two get gurgly tummys and the runs with mucus in itoccasionally but I just starve them for 24 hours and a dose of Pro- Kolin sorts it. I realise Zena may not have what ever causes theirs so the same may not work for her. I have always done the starving 24 hours with all my dogs and apart from a couple of times when it was something more complicated it has worked.
Gentle hugs to Zena and some to dear Georgie boy too.
Thanks Bev. I will get some online if it's the same as those tubes from the vet, for future diarrhea problems, although this time was different as you know, with that massive globule of blood, hair and tubular nasties she passed yesterday morning, hence the reason I really don't want to intervene with anything but easily digested food and probiotics until I get some more advice from the vet. We've had our fair share of diarrhea and mucous here over the years, but I feel this is different. I still say it's something to do with worms, but I won't know till they get that analysed. A long old wait too, what with the week-end. She's absolutely fine in herself tonight so I can't grumble at that, it can't be too serious I'm sure.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

12-11-2011, 08:55 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I think I'm going to the vets tomorrow, my gut is telling me I need to.
Think I would agree with you there H - Sorry I can't help in any way, as you know Bara has suffered from stomach problems all her life, but not like the symptons you are seeing. All of us here are thinking of you and Bara sends Zena a special 'get well' greeting
DaisyD0g
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2011, 09:58 PM
Oh No.... no improvement *sigh*.... Good Luck with the vets if you do go! I hope they do a thorough exam and find out what is going on!!

BTW - never get chickens.. I recently did and the first day felt sure they were all going to die.. no poop can look like that and be normal!! BUT the range of normality in the chicken poop world is HOOOGE I am now becoming a chicken poop obsessive too!!
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2011, 10:14 PM
Originally Posted by DaisyD0g View Post
Oh No.... no improvement *sigh*.... Good Luck with the vets if you do go! I hope they do a thorough exam and find out what is going on!!

BTW - never get chickens.. I recently did and the first day felt sure they were all going to die.. no poop can look like that and be normal!! BUT the range of normality in the chicken poop world is HOOOGE I am now becoming a chicken poop obsessive too!!
I used to keep a large flock of free range chooks, and because of Edwina ended up having to do poop testing once a month.......the vast range of colour, size and consistency made it easier to get samples from different hens!! Don't know why I bothered to be so careful though, having since learned that many people simply dipped all their swabs into one poop
DaisyD0g
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2011, 12:25 AM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
I used to keep a large flock of free range chooks, and because of Edwina ended up having to do poop testing once a month.......the vast range of colour, size and consistency made it easier to get samples from different hens!! Don't know why I bothered to be so careful though, having since learned that many people simply dipped all their swabs into one poop
I only have 4, and won't be selling any eggs, and have promised DH I won't be whisking them off to the vets at the drop of a hat - or a chicken!! but yes that poop!! Helena your mind would boggle!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2011, 06:18 AM
How is Zena today?

I thought I should add a little addenda to the advice not to starve or give bunging up products - if it is a very tiny young pup that might not be valid. They dehydrate so quickly - you have to try to keep something down them and in them so best then to follow whatever the vet says.

I vowed not to read this thread before brekkie - but I did and now see it has progressed on to multi colour chicken poo lol! Waddever next!

I hope the news is good about Zena - or at least not worse.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2011, 07:33 AM
How is Zena today H?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2011, 07:47 AM
Originally Posted by DaisyD0g View Post

It wasn't till I got to the poop bit that I realised you meant LIVE ones there!! I was getting worried about feeding her my chicken breasts!!! Thank goodness you've warned me about keeping any (was thinking about it coz the neighbour now has some!), but I don't think my nerves would cope, they're shredded to bits already with horses and dogs! Oh that did make me laugh

Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
How is Zena today?

I thought I should add a little addenda to the advice not to starve or give bunging up products - if it is a very tiny young pup that might not be valid. They dehydrate so quickly - you have to try to keep something down them and in them so best then to follow whatever the vet says.

I vowed not to read this thread before brekkie - but I did and now see it has progressed on to multi colour chicken poo lol! Waddever next!

I hope the news is good about Zena - or at least not worse.
Hi Tangutina, I was just scrolling down to answer yours, and hubby called me outside coz she had gone out there, and gues what????? We've got a "normal" poo ish!!! Don't like the colour much, it's a bit on the green side, but that could be all that fish and sweet potato, but it was long and hard except for the end bit which curled up into a whippy (oh this is too much information this time of the morning isn't it!!!! ). I've inspected it with the magnifying glass and there seems to be some little white specs in it, along with a twig with branches !!! Can't poke around in it this time coz it's too hard (which is good of course lol!).

She won't be going to the vets today (he was right it seems), but this little baby is going off for analysis along with that last one The good news is I can't see ANY blood, that's what was really worrying me.

I'm seriously thinking about taking this up as a career, either that or you'd better send for the van!!! You wouldn't believe just how many pages there are on Google scrutinizing it, so I'm not alone lol!

I think we're gonna be ok. Thanks for keeping me sane, coz when I saw that lot come out of her Friday I honestly thought she'd lost half her guts! Can't wait to hear their conclusions and I hope it never happens again, but if she has got irritable or inflammatory bowel, then looks like I'm gonna be 6ft under long before my time!!! Thanks guys.xxxx
Page 5 of 10 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »