Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Puppy Protest
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-01-2011, 03:36 PM

Every Dog Counts!

This petition is asking for the government to set up and enforce a database for dogs in this country. There would be identification of puppies before sale and change of owner would have to be kept updated. Something needs to be done about the problem with unidentified dogs that are not controlled or looked after, often ending up being dumped and possibly destroyed.
I know that some people will argue that only responsible people will comply with it but they probably said the same before car registration was introduced.

http://www.petitiononline.com/all4dogs/petition.html
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2011, 04:57 PM
Do you mean microchipped? While I think something needs to be done about BYB and puppy farms (both of which are legal) I don`t really trust our local councils (who would be the ones enforcing it).
I`d rather see current animal welfare laws upheld by the police rather than the current paltry number of RSPCA Inspectors, and tighter rules for breeding establishments.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2011, 05:06 PM
To be honest the KC already has a lot of this information and I for one think dont really want to give the government anymore power than it already has to interfer in dog ownership.
Also where would the funding come from, they'd probably levy a charge which would mean more abandoned dogs.
Sorry wont be signing.
Hope I've not offended by the way.
Puppy Protest
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-01-2011, 05:37 PM
The petition gives a choice of ID, microchip, tattoo or DNA. I would expect the main funding would come from the first registration so the breeder would add it to the price of the puppy. The KC might know about puppies being bred but these are not traceable later when there is no ID and the ownership details are not changed. They are also not interested in crossbreeds apart from on the activities register.
Dogs could be traced back to their breeders with a system like this so those breeding with no concern for health could be held accountable.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2011, 05:53 PM
Actually the KC do know they new puppy owners providing they transfer the regs and I cant see why they wouldnt I know all mine do.
Puppy Protest
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-01-2011, 06:11 PM
There is a big difference between a good breeder and the people who buy from them and a lot of other breeders who are still able to use the KC registration system. Puppies with KC papers are even sold in pet shops despite it being against the KC Code of Ethics. I doubt very much if people who do not know enough to realise that they shouldn't buy from outlets like this bother to change the ownership. There are also so many puppies who are not registered with the Kennel Club although they might still have pedigrees.
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2011, 06:31 PM
I think it is a really good idea and I have signed the petition. Last time I collected 2 dogs from our local pound they had 18 Staffies in there looking for homes.

If the breeders/owners of those dogs were traceable and therefore accountable, we may not have the current epidemic of discarded homeless strays.