Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pookin
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-11-2013, 05:37 PM

Gift ideas for new puppy owners

My brother and his girlfriend are getting a puppy. She is a miniature daschund (I think smooth) and will be coming home with them at the end of November.
Sooo I need ideas for a cool or useful gift for their new baby
I've never had such a tiny puppy myself, would just small versions of things I'd get for my dogs be good? Any mini daschund owners out there? What would you be delighted to receive for your dog?
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2013, 05:46 PM
Puppy toys tend not to have really hard plastic on them as pups can break their teeth on them. Nylabone do some little puppy bones which if she is a chewer she'll love. My two when they were very little loved plastic milk bottles (lid removed) or drink bottles, but obviously you had to watch them. I think it was the 'crackle' of the plastic that sent them crazy. A large soft toy (mothercare are nice and safe) as she'll probably snuggle up to it at night time. How exciting and you'll have to post some photos when she arrives.
Anniebee
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-11-2013, 06:02 PM
The best thing I had for Kibo when he was a puppy was one of these http://www.petstages.com/product-det...ppy-cuddle-pal

I used to pop it in the microwave and put it in his crate with him at bedtime. Kibo is two now, it's still much loved and only slightly tatty with two ears missing
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2013, 06:05 PM
Think I'd be tempted to make up a little hamper Can pick up little bits and bobs..blanket,cuddly toy,collar and lead,maybe some training pads for toilet training,wee brush etc etc.Be lovely all made up nice and fancy
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2013, 06:17 PM
One of those lovely furry topped pet beds. Smallest size would do. Loads of ideas on Amazon or any pet sales website.

I don't advocate use of puppy pads if you want to train the dog to 'go outside'. And I think collars, harnesses and leads are best left to the owner to get them fitted properly as they can be hellishly hard to find to fit very small dogs (I know!)

*I love ANYTHING people buy for my dog! She's got loads of toys and she does play with them and carry them about (and de-stuff them!)

Of course some really good books on training pups would be wonderful. I will leave it to others to suggest the best ones though.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2013, 06:21 PM
Ok then,change of plan,hamper without puppy pads and collar and lead
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-11-2013, 06:30 PM
This book is a must for all new puppy owners......
'The Fast Track Puppy Survival Kit' by Lyn Fleet and Helen Roberts, both members of the Association of Pet Dog Trainers (whose members use kind, fair and effective methods). It only costs £2 , I think a copy should be given to every new puppy owner

http://dog-games-shop.co.uk/dog-trai...vival-kit.html
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2013, 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
Puppy toys tend not to have really hard plastic on them as pups can break their teeth on them. Nylabone do some little puppy bones which if she is a chewer she'll love. My two when they were very little loved plastic milk bottles (lid removed) or drink bottles, but obviously you had to watch them. I think it was the 'crackle' of the plastic that sent them crazy. A large soft toy (mothercare are nice and safe) as she'll probably snuggle up to it at night time. How exciting and you'll have to post some photos when she arrives.
Oh they are Bella's favourite and you should just hear the noise she can make with the thin water ones! This week I tried the tiny ones you get the Activa drinks in and she was carrying them around by the rim! I use plastic coke bottles too (the small ones).

However - wouldn't make a very good pressie - a bundle of used plastic bottles lol! But just like kids enjoying playing with the boxes their toys came in - the dog would love them I reckon!
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2013, 06:59 PM
A little kong
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2013, 07:15 PM
Originally Posted by Fernsmum View Post
A little kong
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >