Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2008, 10:10 AM
Originally Posted by scarter View Post
catrinsparkles - that sounds EXACTLY like beanie's problem.

It seems that when a dog has allergies their skin looses some of it's self-protection/healing ability. What you're describing sounds like pioderma. It *can* be treated topically with regular washing and cleaning. However, our vet did say that it's often best to nip it in the bud with a short course of antibiotics as if the topical treatment doesn't work you end up needing a much longer dose of antibiotics to clear it up.

Beanie's had two outbreaks now and both times we tried the topical route without success. Antibiotics cleared it up in a day! Our vet swears blind that antibiotics won't do any harm.

But I'll try the sudocream if it happens again!
Eeewwwwwww! That'll teach me to look things up on the internet. Looked up pyoderma and got horrible pictures of it in humans!

Maybe i will take Tonks Back again - she is insured after all. I never know when is the best time to go back - do i wait to see if it get's worse etc?
scarter
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-08-2008, 10:21 AM
Last time Beanie had this it was just a few spots so wasn't too bad. The vet gave us a medicated shampoo to use but told us that if it hadn't cleared the spots within a few days we had to get back to her for antibiotics. So based upon that I'd say that if you can't clear it up in a few days go to the vet, and if it gets worse at any point go to the vet.

At first I was worried that we were taking Beanie to the vets too much and making her worse with unnecessary treatment. But having read up on allergies I'm now beginning to realise that it's VERY important to get any secondary problems (such as pyoderma) under control fast as it can make itching much worse.

I've read that pyoderma often clears up on it's own and usually responds well to topical treatment. BUT I think it might be the case that if pyoderma as a result of allergies is harder to clear up simply because the dog's skin isn't functioning normally. And pyoderma is apprarantly an extremely common side-affect of allergies.

But don't put any faith in what I say as I'm new to all this and changing my mind constantly the more I read and hear!!
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-08-2008, 10:58 AM
Originally Posted by shiba View Post
jess had 4 tablets yesterday, split into two lots and 2 more tablets this morning. She is still itching franticly, how long before they kick in or should they have done so already.

also gave her metacalm (pain killer and anti inflamatory) yesterday and this morning.

We have this all the time it seems to peak and then lessen and i feel like we are at the worst at the moment, she won't sit still and is scratching and biting all over her at the moment. Should piriton be working by now.
I know you don't really want to visit your vet but give them a call and ask them to work out the correct dosage for Jess. All they need is her weight and the type of anti-histamines you have at home.

I got our vet to work out the correct dosage for Finn and was really surprised at the amount he was allowed to have daily
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2008, 12:04 PM
I wonder if the warm humid weather is causing it, mabey just like us they feel, hot and boffered,,
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2008, 12:15 PM
I'm SURE it is! I always find Georgie a lot, lot worse when he's feeling hot. You don't want them sweating, it's the sweat that causes more problems, the itching and then the bacteria setting in. So if you can keep them cooler, they won't sweat and in turn won't itch as much. If Georgie is scratching, I usually send him outside to lie on the cool patio slabs and he stops instantly, speaks for itself doesn't it!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2008, 12:19 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I'm SURE it is! I always find Georgie a lot, lot worse when he's feeling hot. You don't want them sweating, it's the sweat that causes more problems, the itching and then the bacteria setting in. So if you can keep them cooler, they won't sweat and in turn won't itch as much. If Georgie is scratching, I usually send him outside to lie on the cool patio slabs and he stops instantly, speaks for itself doesn't it!
I guess it does speak for itself, Its not a problem I have had before with the rotties, it only seems to be bothering holly, next time she starts Im tossing her out to see if it works lol
scarter
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-08-2008, 05:47 PM
It's a plausable theory, but I have another!

House dust mites thrive and breed like crazy in warm, humid conditions. They die below certain temperatures and levels of humidity.

So if your dog seems worse in warm, humid weather and scratches less outside it's worth getting him/her tested as it could be house dust mites.

Beanie is worse in warm, humid weather, but ONLY indoors. She's fine outside when it's warm and humid. And she's tested positive for inside allergens - not confirmed as housemites yet, but it seems likely.
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2008, 06:10 PM
haven't given jess her second dose of the day yet (will in a minute) but her itching has slowed down this afternoon, hasn't stopped but is slightly less. Going to give her a dose soon and think i will pop into vets tomorrow as i need some bandages anyway. Kill 2 birds with one stone as they say.I will let you know what they say.
lynnmm
New Member!
Female 

01-06-2011, 08:36 AM
I have read your comments on piriton please can some one give me an idea of how much to give my 7month old tibetan terrier he weighs approx 7kgs
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2011, 08:57 AM
You need to phone your vet for guidelines. It wont cost anything & you will get the correct doseage which will be right for your dog. Doseage goes by weight of dog.

Incidently - ask for Chlorphenamine in the chemists - non brand name, is what Piriton 'is' and it is half tbe price
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >