Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mango
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-11-2005, 04:40 PM
Afternoon all

Gildy I just read about Lucky opening and closing her beak when you speak to her do you remember on the old boards me saying that the blackbirds would come onto the garden chairs on my patio?
Well one of the bbirds would sit on the back of chair and do exactly as you describe it's beak would open and close as I spoke and this I've also noticed in previous years.
I haven't got a clue as to why but it does look like it's response to our voice to me.

Crumbs such a lot of reading on this today all very interesting

Yes the leaves are dropping with a venence now it'll be better for me as I will be able to see all the birds in it, right now there's still quite a lot on there and I have to dodge around to try and see what's what

We still have some fireworks going off Do you?
Give Lucky a stroke for me please

Chris x
The Great Gildersleeve
Dogsey Junior
Male 

16-11-2005, 12:30 PM
Not much to report, certainly nothing nasty. My gardener managed to get caught up on some work and is coming next week to complete the work and that means hopefully all is finished until next year.

Lucky continues to improve and seems very happy. I was interested in your story about the Blackbirds, there is definately something in the idea that many animals and birds can survive and live alongside Humans and even trust them.

Happily, I have seen the Robin in the garden again(I wondered where it had got to)

Its a busy day with just about every variety of bird visiting. And though, I did not see any yesterday...even a squirrel has put in an appearence probably looking around to see what the gardener has been doing

There has been some fireworks going off but thankfully they are becoming fewer.

Its one of those good to be alive days today!

Take Care

Gildy x
Curmy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-11-2005, 12:59 PM
Hello, Gildy, its a lovely day here too. Glad your gardener has been. The Blue tits round here are very bright. The squirrels demolished my last peanut feeder, so I put up a different type. The Tits were there within a minute of me going indoors ! Speak soon, Curmy.
The Great Gildersleeve
Dogsey Junior
Male 

16-11-2005, 01:53 PM
Originally Posted by Curmy
Hello, Gildy, its a lovely day here too. Glad your gardener has been. The Blue tits round here are very bright. The squirrels demolished my last peanut feeder, so I put up a different type. The Tits were there within a minute of me going indoors ! Speak soon, Curmy.
Curmy,

Its been so tempting to buy some the squirrel proof peanut feeders but they are so expensive but generally not sure if its due to the design or where they have been placed...only one has been affected in all the time they've been here. Its still usable, just that its lost its little perches at the bottom of the feeder. It a case of is it cheaper to buy an expensive one that lasts or keep replacing them

Its good that you like to put something out for visiting wildlife. Even one feeder in a garden helps something. No one has to get into it "Big Time" Blue Tits are doing well here too but I get what I think are called Coal Tits and they have surprised me this year.

I see that many of us are having to take care of our animals and birds(adopted as I have my garden birds)or those that live in our company. And what alot of people of late are having computer problems, that just cannot happen

Happy your girls(cats)are doing so well again, they must be ok if they've taken to trying to demolish the house (amongst the curtains)

Yes, the gardener has brought some more tubs with flowers in them. I hope they'll be safe, they usually are but we have known tubs be removed or having found them to be too heavy dropped somewhere with all the contents spilled on the path or road. They are a bit heavy to bring indoors each night. Last time it happened I did not notice at first and I could see some soil on the road further down the road then I realsied it was our tub. The actual container had been thrown into another neighbours garden.

These things happen...

Catch You Soon

Gildy x
Curmy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-11-2005, 02:09 PM
Gildy,my squirrels even chew through metal ! I get Gret Tits Long tail tits and 2 other sorts in my garden,The cats don't think much of the cold weather, they're under the bed by the radiator. Luckily, we don't get too much vandalism round here. Having said that, someone demolished out street sign last Saturday night. Talk soon, Curmy.
Mango
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-11-2005, 05:14 PM
Happily, I have seen the Robin in the garden again(I wondered where it had got to)

Just a note

I think that you've got my robin....haven't seen him today

Chris x
The Great Gildersleeve
Dogsey Junior
Male 

19-11-2005, 06:53 PM
Lucky continues to improve but a slight accident today, she tried to fly through the window and when she settled I checked her out and on the edge of one wing near her body the feathers went slightly dark and touching her I found some blood. However, I calmed her, it stopped quite quickly and I have come to the conclusion that probably a feather jarred in her skin and caused the slight bleed rather than any real damage done. Funny thing is. I looked in again over an hour later and there was no sign that anything had happened so where it disappeared to so quickly, I don't know.

She has changed places a few times today so obviously she is able to fly, so I think for the few little bits that require some care, I have virtually come to the conclusion its ok to release her and will in the next day or two.

She should have enough feathers now and enough gained weight to see her through the cold snap and I hope she avoids the hawk.

In this cold weather one dove did behave strangely today compared to the rest of the birds and other doves that visited. She/he found a place on the lawn and moved around until comfortable and stayed in effect sitting on the lawn looking like you'd expect a bird if was sits on their eggs trying to keep them warm. Even if all the other birds were suddenly startled and flew away or into the trees and bushes, she stayed put. After maybe 20 minutes she did fly into a tree and stayed in the same position for ages and then once again came into the garden and did the same. So I just wonder if she was tired or that was her only way to be comfortable and just maybe she was carrying some eggs almost ready to be released.

If it had been summer and warm, and the wings spread out that is quite a common site and a few ideas exist as to why birds do that but this was different.

Cheers

Gildy x
Curmy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-11-2005, 07:30 PM
Gildy, I was talking to my brother today, and he was saying that Sparrowhawks are not big enough to kill large birds instantly, thats why its all rather grisly !

Had you thought that when you release Lucky, it might be a good idea to leave your out house door open during the first day, so that if she gets panicky, she could always fly back in there? Just a thought, love, Curmy.
The Great Gildersleeve
Dogsey Junior
Male 

19-11-2005, 08:06 PM
An interesting thought Curmy, and it makes alot of sense. Equally, assuming that the Sparrow Hawk is smaller than many birds of prey, a larger bird you'd think would be too much for it as a meal but I have seen times where if it wasn't for the feathers that remain there is nothing left. Now whether this means its eaten the whole kill or has taken some away, I'm not sure. It is gruesome. If it gets a large bird maybe less actually are killed because it can go longer between meals but I suspect to kill is an inbuilt trait and it will do so even if its not as hungry as usual. Perhaps they come into the towns more at certain times of the year when the smaller birds realise that there is extra food and more of it available and they have to get what would be normally available in the countryside.

And of course towns and cities have spread and invaded their environment too. I'll do as you suggest and leave the doors open for awhile and close them at dusk. If she returns I'll reopen them in the mornings so she can fly away again. If she wants to return and its her choice(especially overnight its ok with me)she may decide to bring her young and make the outhouse the place to raise them, now wouldn't that be something?

Speak Soon

Gildy xx
JR Lady
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-11-2005, 12:45 AM
Hello Gildy...

Hope the toothache is better...

I am happy to read tha lucky continues to improve and that you may even feel she is well enough soon to release...Please do leave the outhouse door open for her if you can, especially in bitter winter weather as it may provide her with somewhere to shelter out of the cold...Having her to care for has also helped you to learn more about our feathered friends...

Female sparrowhawks are considerably bigger than the males and usually take larger prey such as thrush or pidgeon, whilst the much smaller male usually takes tits and finches...

Regards...Silver
Page 11 of 13 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 13 >