Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
monosyllabic
Dogsey Junior
Male 

15-10-2008, 09:36 AM

Spray Trainer?????

I was walking my dog a few weeks ago and i saw this white boxer pulling it's owner all over the place. The guy must have saw me looking and started giving me abuse (what you looking at, I'll set him on you, ECT...)
A few days ago i saw the same guy with a so called trainer walking in woodburn (well known rough place near where i live) and every time the dog pulled she had him spray him with something out a white aerosol can. The dog had pink eyes and looked to me like it was in pain you could see pink lines running down from his eyes where the spray has been irritating him.
I tied up Fido and went to see what the score was and this woman said she was a qualified trainer and this is a well know tool. when i asked what it was they both told me to f**k off or i was going to get a kick in.
I went straight to the police and reported them for animal abuse they said they would look in to it but didn't think they would find the owner.
I was wondering if anyone has seen anything like this used before?
And just wanted to warn anyone in the area about her. She was maybe in her 50's grey curly hair about 5ft 6 and looked pretty rough.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2008, 09:43 AM
Mmm i wonder who she is qualified by! In my boook training is making it clear to the dog, through positive methods, exactly what you do want them to do.....not punishing them for doing the wrong thing!

My friend used a citronella collar with her dog once, but this was with a whippet who was far too interested in chasing sheep. She would only ever use these in this situation as in her words "she would be very happy for him to be scared of sheep and steer clear of them!"

She used it for one weekend while attending a anti live stock training course at wag more barn and it was not being sprayed in the dogs eyes.....it was used under close supervision from another trainer who only used positive methods and the training was monitored to see if it was having an effect. They would not have contiuned using it if it was having no affect.

Happily he can now walk past a field of sheep showing no interest and also has excellent recall.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-10-2008, 09:50 AM
Hmmm clearly he doesn't take kindly to people interferring.
The dog could have pink eyes because it insists on pulling, being a white dog it would be more noticeable. The dog could be deaf. It could also have been a canister of compressed air, and it could have appeared it was being sprayed in it's eyes, which it shouldn't be but....it could also be none of the above but as he wouldn't talk, we can't know.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2008, 09:54 AM
Sounds almost like a pet corrector.....but that is used more for the noise...?

Did it have any markings on it that you could see (colours/logos etc)...It doesn;t sound like a practice that would be endoresed by many...but there are many people out there having done a 2 week college course and come out the other end behaviourists with school papers to back them up...
monosyllabic
Dogsey Junior
Male 

15-10-2008, 10:08 AM
It was white with black writing on it but the put it in a bag when i was asking about it. It didn't make a noise but liquid was coming out it because i could see the spray. I also asked what qualifications she had because the dog was pawing at his face.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2008, 10:10 AM
Originally Posted by monosyllabic View Post
It was white with black writing on it but the put it in a bag when i was asking about it. It didn't make a noise but liquid was coming out it because i could see the spray. I also asked what qualifications she had because the dog was pawing at his face.

I pressume if she was that defensive then it wasn't a positive method! you would have thought that if she was confident that her methods were effective and in her qualifications that she would be happy to explain or give you her card and talk later.

Doesn't sound good to me.
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2008, 11:18 AM
I thought Pet Corrector too but I thought that was air only no liquid.

White Boxers can have pink looking eyes and staining from tears
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-10-2008, 11:26 AM
Poor dog
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2008, 11:28 AM
I just do not know what to say As some people here have said the Boxer's eyes could be pink from pulling, but as you say there were pink streaks down the dog's face.
I don't agree with any of this I like positive training. I know that in some cases these methods have to be used, but IMO only for a short time.
It makes me so mad that some people can be so abusive. I would pester the police.
Do you have community wardens? Maybe they can keep an eye out.
Ring the RSPCA. Does anyone around your area know where the owner lives. Try and find out more about the trainer, ask other doggie walkers they might know of her, then bloody well report her!!
jannie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-10-2008, 06:19 PM
sounds a bit fishy to me,not a good code of practice,i have used ordinary water sprayed at the dogs face not the eyes.I think this needs reported as she doesnt sound like a trainer.Red eyes from pulling yes but red or pinkish streams,never heard of it,not even with air blown,also putting it straight into her bag.Try and get a friend to walk a dog and have a chat that she is looking for a trainer,and could she have her number or card.interesting.