Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wanda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-09-2007, 08:15 PM

Any advice?

Have thought for some time that Minnie can't see very well, so as Sadie was going to Vet for booster, took Minnie along as well, and he confirmed she has cataracts in both eyes. He wants to rule out diabetes, so asked me to get a urine sample, and gave me a Urine Collecting Kit which consists of a sort of shovel, with a bottle attached.

Since I got this "thing" I have been chasing poor Minnie all over the garden, but she can't understand why I'm following her around with what can only seem to her to be a lethal weapon, plus she is so tiny that I cannot get the shovel thing under her any way! I feel such an idiot.

Anyone got any ideas?

Here's some pictures of Minnie and Sadie. (Sorry, but I've only just learnt how to put pictures up, so expect more...and more....and more!

Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2007, 08:27 PM
Lovely pictures. Plus I can see you now running about trying to get the sample never had to do it so can't advise really. Unless you get a late night pee when its dark and then its a gamble if you can see it !- good luck
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-09-2007, 06:41 AM
Lovely pictures

How about putting her on a lead - that will mean she's nearer to you from the start and should be easier for you to 'catch her in action'.

if you do it first thing in the morning hopefully her bladder will be quite full - wait until she's started and then slip the shovel under her from behind.

If you can't use the 'shovel' what about a small clean tupperware dish? (one you don't want to keep!)

Good luck
Wanda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-09-2007, 12:30 PM
Hooray! Managed to get a sample first thing this morning. Minnie was still half asleep and didn't realise I was behind her until it was too late! Bless her, she didn't half jump when she realised what was going on - but it was too late and the sample is now at vets.

She thinks I'm evil!!
amethystbelle
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-09-2007, 01:39 PM
Glad you managed to get some in the end, i've found being sneaky really helps and always first thing in the morning as they don't suspect you then as much as other times of the day plus the fact they usually can't wait to go

I can sympathise we have to do this every 6 months with our Lhasa as she has to have her urine checked to make sure she doesn't develop any more bladder stones and she has grown wise to what we are upto

I hope Minnies tests come back clear
Wanda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-09-2007, 07:25 PM
Pleased to say that Vet rang this pm to say that Minnie is clear of diabetes. However, he did find some blood in her sample, which seems to indicate she still has an infection in her bladder, which we thought we had cleared up some weeks ago with a 3 week course of low level antibiotic. Anyway, I am going to do a post in the Health Section to see if anyone has any ideas on alternative treatments for this.

Thanks for your interest.