Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2008, 11:15 AM

Zylkene - new medication

Eddy has gotten worse recently so I went back to the vet and told her that he's definitely losing his marbles and barks constantly between around 6pm and 10pm. Asked her if there's anything more I can do.

She's told me to double his dose of Aktivait to try and flush out the toxins that may have already built up and she's put him on Zylkene.

I don't really know how Zylkene works, apparently it's a new drug but it's designed to settle, not sedate.

Eddy's still having a bit of a grumble in the early evening but the last couple of nights have been much quieter and he's stayed in the lounge with us instead of going into the kitchen and barking on his own after he fails to impress us.

To be honest, it's not done as much as I'd have liked it to have done, we still have quite a bit of messing about, he grumbles so he goes out for a wee, then he still grumbles so you try putting food in his bowl, then he follows you around grumbling until he realises where the food is (even though you just showed him) but when he does finally settles he sleeps soundly.

Anyone any experience of Zylkene? I'd be interested to know how it works and whether I can use serene-um with it.

My vet didn't give me a consultation, I just popped in whilst walking Takara and asked about Eddy so as she was only charging me for the drug (I have him weighed regularly so didn't need to check his weight) and was on her way out, I didn't want to keep her and the vet nurse wasn't entirely sure but said her old dog is on it.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2008, 11:41 AM
just googled it. It's a natural remedy for stress relief rather than a drug and to be honest sounds as if it is very much along the same lines as Serene-Um and Bach's Remedy.

On that basis, even though they are both natural remedies, I wouldn't give him both without talking to your vet as you are effectively giving a double dose of very similar products.
KateM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-11-2008, 01:28 PM
We got a card through from the vets (well when i say we, my sister and my mother did for their cats) about zylkene in a sort of got an animal that doesn't do bonfire night, try this and it will all be calmer kind of thing - which is about the same as you got a few years ago when the DAP's came out.

I don't think it is a medication as such, rather a homeopathic treatment - if that makes sense - and probably no better, but more expensive though, than say, Kalms, Quiet Life etc
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2008, 02:52 PM
hmm I wondered if that was the case.

I only got 4 tablets just to see how it went, and tbh, so far I'm not sure. At first serene-um was brilliant and then he started to bark even when he'd had it, whereas this seems to have been less effective right from the start but now, possibly more effective than serene-um became.

I might try a bach remedy or something instead. I think I have some serene-um on the way so will see if giving it a couple of times a day helps (I've only given him his dose once a day so far) and if not, it works wonders for Takara's confidence and will try Eddy with something else!

Thanks for the replies - I don't think I'll bother with zylkene again!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2008, 06:28 PM
http://www.cdsindogs.com/CDSInDogs.a...ies=OO&sec=000

Have a read of this.
EBMEDIC
Dogsey Junior
Male 

09-11-2008, 07:30 PM
Originally Posted by KateM View Post
We got a card through from the vets (well when i say we, my sister and my mother did for their cats) about zylkene in a sort of got an animal that doesn't do bonfire night, try this and it will all be calmer kind of thing - which is about the same as you got a few years ago when the DAP's came out.

I don't think it is a medication as such, rather a homeopathic treatment - if that makes sense - and probably no better, but more expensive though, than say, Kalms, Quiet Life etc
Not a homeopathic tx as it actually has an active ingredient!!! - no idea how well it works as i haven't seen data.