View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Housedog
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-05-2005, 02:49 PM
If there is an escape route the fox will use it, if cornered he or she will fight for their life, I imagine at some time in a year or so Archie will be mature enough to face it, if need be, till then just be careful, it will not attack, it would rather escape than face human or dog, unless it's ill.
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2005, 02:55 PM
Thanks HD should be fine I hope as Archie is too much of a coward I think Sure enough he barked at the fox last night, but only when he was safely hiding behind me!
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2005, 10:01 PM
I don't think most foxes will attack a dog although it has been known. A few months ago on another forum (the BBC one) someone gave us a link to a report where a female GSD was killed by a fox in broad daylight. She was apparently just sat on the front lawn with her owner who was gardening I think if I remember rightly and a fox appeared and the dog ran after it and I think it maybe had the fox in a corner but then the dog lay down on her back to play with the fox and the fox attacked and ripped the dogs stomach out and I think she died straight away. I don't think these attacks are very common though. When my o/h walks Benji at night he often sees a fox but they just stay a safe distance away. Perhaps your neighbour puts food out for them and thats why they come into the gardens.
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2005, 11:13 PM
Originally Posted by Foxy
I don't think most foxes will attack a dog although it has been known. A few months ago on another forum (the BBC one) someone gave us a link to a report where a female GSD was killed by a fox in broad daylight. She was apparently just sat on the front lawn with her owner who was gardening I think if I remember rightly and a fox appeared and the dog ran after it and I think it maybe had the fox in a corner but then the dog lay down on her back to play with the fox and the fox attacked and ripped the dogs stomach out and I think she died straight away. I don't think these attacks are very common though. When my o/h walks Benji at night he often sees a fox but they just stay a safe distance away. Perhaps your neighbour puts food out for them and thats why they come into the gardens.
OMG thanks for the reassurance foxy
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2005, 11:49 PM
I live in the countryside and we see foxes in our gardens every day. They are very, very nervous though. Chloe is not the most obedient dog when she sees something interesting and has been known to chase the foxes down the field!! They've only ever run away but as i said, they're very nervous, if you live in a town they may not be quite so nervous of people!

Also, Archie is only very small isn't he? Chloe is a huge dog (weighs 6 stone) so its very unlikely a fox would try to attack her as they're quite small. But as Archie is only little i wouldn't risk letting him out unsupervised or anything as hungry foxes will eat pretty much anything!!
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2005, 07:44 AM
I would of been the same tuti, and foxes scare me, dont know why lol!
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2005, 09:12 PM
Originally Posted by tuti
OMG thanks for the reassurance foxy

Sorry tuti, didn't mean to scare you or anything It was probably a one off and the fox was cornered I think and the dog got down on the floor and showed its tummy and so it was just unfortunate circumstances I suppose There was something on another website about a fox going into someones house and attacking a baby in a pram but whether this was true or not I don't know.

Most foxes keep themselves to themselves and are scared of dogs I think. I remember looking out of my front bedroom window at about 1 in the morning and I saw a fox walking down the middle of the road and then all of a sudden it started running really fast and as it dissapeared round the corner I could see this small terrier dog tearing down the road obviously looking for the fox.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2005, 08:13 AM
Foxes in their natural environment, will almost exclusively keep away from people. Foxes in towns are almost a different species now. They lack the "wildness" in many circumstances, that had always ensured their survival. There are certain folk who think its ok to feed them, this just encourages them to come into our garden and seek food, by either, bins, stuff left out or more and more frequently, Pet Rabbits etc..

The urban Fox is a pest, many have mange which is frequently passed onto our dogs, its a dreadful disease that even we can catch. They are thin pathetic examples of what is a beautiful animal when controlled and kept in its natural environment.
Dawn.
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2005, 08:24 AM
Actually the foxes round here are very pretty and healthy looking and certainly not tame!!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2005, 09:01 AM
Hi Tuti.
If you see them in the daylight, in the presence of humans, they are certainly not behaving naturally.
Dawn.
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >