Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
littlelab
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-07-2008, 07:24 AM

HEAT STROKE IN DOGS - Know the signs, it can kill rapidly

2 years ago I nearly lost my Jack due to Heat Stroke, it was a morning just like today and around the same time of yera funny enough, the 23rd July 2006 a day I wont forget, I didn't know the signs, but forum members did and thank god I posted or else he may not be here today.

His core temperature went up 2 degrees above the normal (The average temperature of a healthy dog is 101 °F or 38 °C, however, the normal temperature of a healthy dog may range from 99 °F to 102.5 °F (37.2 °C–39.2 °C). If his temperature went up 1 degree more he would have gone into a coma and his organs would start shutting down, prompt action by our vet saved his life.

PLEASE KNOW THE SIGNS
IF IN DOUBT CONTACT YOUR VET IMMEDIATELY

HEAT STROKE
Heat stroke is an emergency that requires immediate recognition and prompt treatment. Dogs do not tolerate high temperatures as well as humans. They depend upon rapid breathing to exchange warm air for cool air. Accordingly when air temperature is close to body temperature, cooling by rapid breathing is not and efficient process. Dogs with airway disease also have difficulty with excess heat.

Common situations that predispose to overheating or heat stroke in dogs are:

1. Being left in a car in hot weather.

2. Being confined on concrete runs; chained without shade in hot weather.

3. Being of a short-nosed breed, especially a Bulldog or Pug.

4. Being muzzled while put under a dryer (this can happen in a grooming parlor).

5. Suffering from airway disease or any condition that impairs breathing.

Heat stroke begins with rapid, frantic, noisy breathing. The tongue and mucus membranes are bright red, the saliva is thick and tenacious and the dog frequently vomits. Its rectal temperature is high, sometimes over 106 degrees F. The cause of the problem usually is evident by the typical appearance of the dog; it can be confirmed by taking its temperature.

If the condition is allowed to go unchecked, the dog becomes unsteady and staggers, has diarrhea that often is bloody and becomes progressively weaker. Coma and death ensue.

Treatment: Emergency measures must begin at once. Mild cases respond to moving the dog to a cooler surrounding, such as an air-conditioned building or car. If the dog's temperature is over 104 degrees F, or if unsteady on its feet, the dog should be cooled by immersion in a tub of cold water. If this is impossible, hose your dog down with a garden hose. For a temperature over 106 degrees F, or if the dog is near collapse, give a cold water enema. A more rapid temperature drop is imperative. Cool to a rectal temperature of 103 degrees F.

Heat stroke can be associated with swelling of the throat. This aggravates the problem. A cortisone injection by your veterinarian may be required to treat this.

Prevention:

1. Do not expose dogs with airway disease or impaired breathing to prolonged heat.

2. Restrict exercise during the heat of the day in summer.

3. Breed dogs in air-conditioned quarters.

4. Crate a dog only in an open wire cage.

5. Provide shade and cool water to dogs living in outdoor runs.

Taken from doctordog.com

Please read up and know the signs so you wont have to go what we went through.

IF IN DOUBT PHONE YOUR VET IMEDIATELY AND START THE COOLING PROCESS AS SOON AS YOU SUSPECT HEAT STROKE, IT MAY SAVE YOUR DOGS LIFE
char63
New Member!
Female 

28-07-2008, 09:37 AM
Thanks for posting, reslly helpful.
hades
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-07-2008, 12:09 PM
Really good post! ....for me thats what dogseys about!

My boy has his own fan....he LOVES it, he'll sit right next to it or sleep next to it for hours!
And he barks at it for me to turn it on ...how the other half live ay!!!!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2008, 12:14 PM
Thanks for that - brilliant information.

I left all the curtains closed today at home, and I've just nipped home to check and the lounge is nice and cool - thank heavens!

x0x
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2008, 12:24 PM
Should this be a sticky on the forum whilst "summer" is here?
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

28-07-2008, 04:05 PM
Very good advice. We were out in the car last Friday, I always stay with the dogs while OH does the shopping. I park in the shade and open the sliding door, they jumped out, luckily there was a mild breeze. They didn't drink much but I just thought about how horrible it would be if they were locked inside the car.
littlelab
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-07-2008, 08:09 PM
Its amazing how quick Heat stroke can come on with dogs, its so important to keep an eye on things.
queenwillow
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2008, 08:18 PM
very informative
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-07-2008, 09:27 PM
great post i went through this the other day with my parents but I don't think it sunk in.. good job I'm home all summer
k9xxb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2008, 09:40 PM
A good post. Easy to forget our furry friends overheat very quickly.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >