View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2007, 01:34 AM
In the U.S. Your dog must be vaccinated for Rabies by a licensed veterinarian only. MOST other vaccines can be purchased by suppliers and given at home.

I don't do this for risk of reaction, risk that vaccines weren't properly shipped or stored, and I prefer my pets get their exam every year.

Vaccines are too important to leave up to any Tom Dick or Harry. If I got a pup from a "breeder" that "Vaccinated" my pup, I wouldn't count that vaccine in my pups series of three, because it wasn't given by a vet and I cannot be assured that it was properly stored, cataloged and given.

These sorts of things should be left to professionals.
juliekelham
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-06-2007, 09:11 AM
alot of breeders vaccinate there pups at six weeks [against parvo], just to give them extra protection until theygo for there main injections,the british vetanary association are awere of this,and i dont see how this can be a bad thing.the bva also say that it is not illigal to inject your OWN dog,but it is illigal to obtain it of an unlicenced sorce.
for the record len french owned his own vetanairy practice in wales before moving to lincs
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2007, 09:14 AM
Originally Posted by juliekelham View Post
alot of breeders vaccinate there pups at six weeks [against parvo], just to give them extra protection until theygo for there main injections,the british vetanary association are awere of this,and i dont see how this can be a bad thing.the bva also say that it is not illigal to inject your OWN dog,but it is illigal to obtain it of an unlicenced sorce.
for the record len french owned his own vetanairy practice in wales before moving to lincs
I know he did Julie, Ive known Len for around 12yrs, always got on well with him.
Dawn.
jackpat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2007, 12:08 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
Its a very important can of worms which was right to be opened
The conflicts of opinion on even whether its legal to vaccinate ones own dogs or not will probably lead to lots of readers asking their own vets about it now which all adds to individual and combined knowledge so that can only be a good thing
Thanks Patch
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2007, 03:55 AM
Actually, vaccinating puppies against parvo and or distemper too young can cause improper heart valve development and heart disease at a young age. Not to mention that before 8 weeks of age, the puppies immune system isn't developed enough to properly respond to a vaccine, so it doesn't do any good.
juliekelham
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-06-2007, 08:09 AM
Originally Posted by muttzrule View Post
Actually, vaccinating puppies against parvo and or distemper too young can cause improper heart valve development and heart disease at a young age. Not to mention that before 8 weeks of age, the puppies immune system isn't developed enough to properly respond to a vaccine, so it doesn't do any good.
at one time i would of agreed with you but with the amount of parvo and different strains of enteritisethere are about in this country,i now vaccine all my pups at six weeks vets round my way recommend it.we all want to do whats best for are pups,and i feel by giving them that early booster im doing right
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2007, 10:34 AM
I don't vaccinate my dogs myself as I prefer them to go to the vets. They also have a full check up done at the same time. My dogs health and wellbeing are as important to me as my own and that of my family.

I have in the past administered insulin, but that's a different matter. That was under my vets supervision.

Storm's first puppy jab was done by someone that wasn't a vet. My vet at the time wasn't that bothered about it. He did however check the vaccine details.
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-06-2007, 08:37 PM
Originally Posted by juliekelham View Post
at one time i would of agreed with you but with the amount of parvo and different strains of enteritisethere are about in this country,i now vaccine all my pups at six weeks vets round my way recommend it.we all want to do whats best for are pups,and i feel by giving them that early booster im doing right
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2007, 08:46 AM
Originally Posted by muttzrule View Post

my vet recommends the pups ARE vaccinated at 6 weeks,and have had her do all the pups this year at the 6 week old rule,however my other vet said depending on the vaccine used you can actually give the desease rather than prevent by doing them early,and the vaccine given is a combined vaccine and as a breeder i only want whats best for my puppies so i get the full health check there hearts tested all at same time and certifacates informing all new owners that this has been done,and my vet will happily talk to any new puppy owners,should the need arise.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2007, 01:30 PM
I dont actually vaccinate after the first ones. I use nosodes. This is mainly because Morgan had skin complaints through over vaccinations and Spencer had a bad allergic reaction. Too be honest my oldest is 5 now and I might get a blood test to see what the titre levels are.
Page 7 of 8 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 >