View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2007, 09:32 AM
There is loads of breeders farmers and show ppl horse and dog showers who vaccinate their own animals under monitoring from vets just like zoeybeau in the area and surronding area where she is from , i for one have seen all zoeybeau dogs past and present (by past i mean the ones who went to the bridge ) and all have been in excellent health and her vet holds her in very high regard to the well fare of her animals , to the point where he suggested she train as a vet nurse . she only has the welfare of her animals at heart and she is not a lazy person nor does she self medicate to save money i myself never realised it was supposed to be illegal ,my sister administers an injection to her family pet every day its not a vaccination jab its for other health reasons does that mean she is breaken the law and she lives in a different part of the country to me ., i have administered medication prescribed by my vet to my dogs , surely its the welfare of the animal that counts ,and as stated earlier there probably is loads here who do but are not going to admit as they dont want slammed down like zb was in her earlier posts . jmo
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2007, 09:54 AM
Originally Posted by Colin Bradish View Post
Or put another way. Laziness.

Sorry but convenience is no replacement for experience.

Concerning cattle etc, they are all covered by FAWC (Farm Animal Welfare Council) and no farmer would be allowed to do anything that was in breach of it's rules, and as your boxer does not come under those regulation you need to have the vaccinations done by a vet.
JYO
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-06-2007, 09:55 AM
believe me, if I vaccintated my own dogs, i would admit it, why would`nt anyone??

No body is suggesting ZB dogs are unhealthy, or she is doing it to save money....

I know many people in the horse showing world, (i was one of them) and doggy showing, /farming....and they will all have medicines in their medbox/ from antibiotics to pain relief ... and willonlt have to phone their vet up to fill up their priscriptions... but thy will all be on record, will all have seen the vet first.

but the one thing , they will never do is allow someone else to vaccintate.

I also have complete trust in my vet, known his for many yrs, but when i asked him if he would do this, he flat out refused....he could loose his licence .

He also says he has to make 100% sure that pup/dog is in completely healthy on the day of vaccination, no coughs/colds, snifferly noses, listening to the heart.

So how can a vet , as much as he trusts you, know the resipient of the vaccine is 100% healthy, if he does not examine it before he vaccintates.....on the day!!

Same goes for my horses, he comes gives them a good once over before he will even consider vaccine....

And the big showing yards i have kept my horses on over the yrs, all have the same practice, vet vaccintates the horses.
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-06-2007, 10:05 AM
Quote from post 32 by Patch.

You - subject to the Protection of Animals Act 1911 you as the OWNER of the animal can give whatever treatment you want to your animal. That is, any treatment that does not involve intrusion into the animal's body. For example you are not entitled by Law to give your animal an injection. You are only able to give an injection if instructed to do so by your vet.

End quote.

So the law clearly states that under your vets control you are permitted to administer an injection for ongoing medical purposes only.

Vaccination are not preventative treatments, so must be given be a vet.
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2007, 10:07 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
You are right many farmers and horsey people,keep a supply of drugs in their medicine box, pain relief /antibiotic. a vet like a doctor is not allowed to give out priscription drugs for clients to self medicate..

the whole point of vaccination (apart from the health issue) is that you get a vet to do it, who in turn will sign a vaccination card, this giving you a clear cut record of your pets history, whether it be horse/dog /cat..... if as you say you vaccinate your own dogs, who`s signature goes on the record card?? it will mean iether the vets signs something he had not witnessed, or you have to forge a signiture (not you personally) just generalizing...
so it becomes fraud.... and unscrupulous.... would you buy a pup /dog from someone who vaccintates their own dogs, how do you know if they have done the job properly, or at all.

how do you know your dog is in good health before you vaccinate?

if you are not a vet , you can only guess if said dog/pup is healthy enough to vaccinate.....

I cant understand the logic of wanting to do the job your self..... and yes I have given my horses their shot of antibiotics, when needed, but they have been prescribed by the vet, to administer, this is normal practice....in the horse/farming world...but I have never known a vet to just dish out vaccines to clients at will. he is taking a big risk of someone reporting him/her, and facing a malpractice suit.

I doubt many people on here would vaccinate their own dogs, or for that matter find a vet who will allow them to.... not a vet i would like as my own.

I thought you lived in Northen Ireland, not the south? which is part of the UK, although I would think the same will go for the South.
A VET IS PRESCIBING,I SIGN MY VACCINATION CARDS FOR MYSELF /MY SELF FOR MY RECORDS,NOT YOURS OR ANYONE ELSES,I TOLD YOU I LIVED IN THE NORTH ON THE BOARDER,WOULD YOU LIKE MY ADDRESS,ITS REALLY NOT A PROBLEM,(sorry for caps azz forgot)i wouldnt but puppy vaccinated by the breeder but then youd know that i dont do the pups because you would have read my ealier posts were i said the vet does the pups because i get them heart tested by her too at the same time,and i wouldnt buy a puppy that hadnt being heart tested first,i like to think that the puppy i buy would have had a check,yes i have given my horse a shot of antibiotics also,therefore is that fraud,iv given the dogs antibiotcs before prescibed by my vet,how my and when to be given is that fraud,i have 12 dogs would you like to load them all into your car for there annual vet check, bit squished dont you think,iv told everyone one her and will again,i do a annual with my vet he comes to me,there is 2 practices i use,i have one dog that will bite the vet he is petrified and he comes to see us ,and stands there while i give him his kennel cough vaccine,is that fraud,would you like his phone number im sure he will tell you the same,all the vets i use are all great vets,and although you prob wouldnt want to use them you dont have and i prob wouldnt want to use your vet either
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2007, 10:12 AM

You - subject to the Protection of Animals Act 1911 you as the OWNER of the animal can give whatever treatment you want to your animal. That is, any treatment that does not involve intrusion into the animal's body. For example you are not entitled by Law to give your animal an injection. You are only able to give an injection if instructed to do so by your vet.

End quote.

So the law clearly states that under your vets control you are permitted to administer an injection for ongoing medical purposes only.

vaccines are not prementitive treatments but surely the reason we vaccinaate is to prevent from canine diseases ie distemper , infectous canine hepatitis , adenovirus 2 ,parvovirus,parainfluenza,leptospira canicola,leptospira iceterohaemorrhagiae. and also kennel cough ? surely these are given as premaritve treatments
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2007, 10:16 AM

End quote.

arent vaccines to prevent parvo distemper etc,well they are here,if your dog dies of these diseases you wont be insured if you never vaccinated in the first place.i vaccinate my dogs so they DONT get theses diseases,isnt that prevention,you seem to be under the impression i vaccinated every year i dont and dont recommend that you should thats a diffrent discussion and im sure its been done before,so im not going into that one iv 12 dogs there my dogs and i more than anyone knows if there ill there my dogs so i will take them to what ever vet i see fit,if i call my vet and he says give them such and such I WILL .
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2007, 10:21 AM
Originally Posted by zoeybeau1 View Post
arent vaccines to prevent parvo distemper etc,well they are here,if your dog dies of these diseases you wont be insured if you never vaccinated in the first place.i vaccinate my dogs so they DONT get theses diseases,isnt that prevention,you seem to be under the impression i vaccinated every year i dont and dont recommend that you should thats a diffrent discussion and im sure its been done before,so im not going into that one iv 12 dogs there my dogs and i more than anyone knows if there ill there my dogs so i will take them to what ever vet i see fit,if i call my vet and he says give them such and such I WILL .
well stated , just as anyone would do surely
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-06-2007, 10:27 AM

End quote.

Sorry I meant to say to they are preventative treatments. Don't know where the not came from.

My apologises.
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2007, 10:29 AM
Sorry I meant to say to they are preventative treatments. Don't know where the not came from.

My apologises.
apologies excepted ,
Page 5 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >