View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-03-2015, 06:13 PM
I dont have anyone who can be with him for me.

Kenny can I ask would you be classed as elderly?

The reason I am asking is I was thinking of The Cinnamon Trust..
http://www.cinnamon.org.uk/home.php
KennyUK
Dogsey Senior
Male 

15-03-2015, 06:32 PM
Does anyone have any experience of supplements for helping with tremors and do they actually help?
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

15-03-2015, 06:35 PM
Sorry to hear of your predicament not an easy one at all. My suggestion would be when you have to go out would leaving a piece of your clothing with your smell on it with Harvey help him do you think ? Also Meg's suggestion of the Cinnamon trust is a good one if you are eligible or maybe ask the vet or the PDSA if they could recommend anyone trustworthy who could sit with him. Might they even have him in the vets for a while for your hospital visits ?
Meg
Supervisor

15-03-2015, 07:09 PM
Originally Posted by KennyUK View Post
Does anyone have any experience of supplements for helping with tremors and do they actually help?
Hi Kenny, it depends on the cause of the tremors I would guess.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2015, 08:40 PM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
Sorry to hear of your predicament not an easy one at all. My suggestion would be when you have to go out would leaving a piece of your clothing with your smell on it with Harvey help him do you think ? Also Meg's suggestion of the Cinnamon trust is a good one if you are eligible or maybe ask the vet or the PDSA if they could recommend anyone trustworthy who could sit with him. Might they even have him in the vets for a while for your hospital visits ?
Those are great suggestions, Lynn, especially the vet having Harvey whilst Kenny is at the hospital.
KennyUK
Dogsey Senior
Male 

15-03-2015, 10:25 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone, much appreciated that you guys take the time to post - very humbling.

Just managed to get Harvey settled. I spoke too soon earlier as his sleepy spell lasted about 15 mins then back to the walking from one room to another - very upsetting to see him like this.

For the last hour or so he has wanted consent fussing, if i stopped he would nuzzle or claw at me and if i tried to ignore it he wined - quite draining poor little lad.

Great suggestion that I did not think of (thanks) I will give the PDSA, Harveys Vet and the Cinnamon Trust a ring tomorrow and ask if they can suggest anyone. Not entirely sure that I'm the right age for Cinnamon Trust but wont hurt to ask.

The supplements for helping with tremors thing was something I found on another dog forum along with something about putting an ice pack in the small of your dogs back when they seize to help the seizures end quicker and they were saying the dogs come around faster and with less disorientation.

Can you believe that I cant find the forum or the post now, i forgot to book mark it but I will keep looking in-case it is of interest to others in this forum.
Meg
Supervisor

15-03-2015, 10:33 PM
i forgot to book mark it but I will keep looking in-case it is of interest to others in this forum.
Hi Kenny I am afraid we don't allow links to other forums.

I do not like the idea of an ice pack on a dog when it is having seizures, too much of a shock particularly when you are not sure of the cause. You could ask your vet about it but I would say quiet observation is best .
KennyUK
Dogsey Senior
Male 

15-03-2015, 11:08 PM
I maybe searching for answers that don't exist but I have just read that Canine hypoglycemia can produce tremors and seizures.

Now Harvey was on a strict medical diet (a specific Royal Canin Canine Urinary dry mix) to clear the crystals in his urine for about 2 1/2 months before his seizure.

Could this diet have lowered his blood sugars, maybe he had low sugars to start with - not low enough to cause seizures - but with the new diet could it have lowered it to the seizure threshold?

Probibly grasping at straws but what other choice is there?
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2015, 11:08 PM
Kenny, it's not unusual for dogs to be very 'attention seeking' post seizure so maybe he is having absence type seizures as well as grand mal.

I have no personal experience of having a dog suffering seizures, but my lad is epileptic and I know from him that the best way to deal with a seizure is to make the immediate area safe and leave well alone until he starts to come out of it. When he does start to come a little responsive, it's just a matter of dealing with the confusion and reassuring him that everything is OK.

He doesn't remember the fits, just the aftermath which makes him disorientated and very, very tired.

If your dog sleeps in the kitchen, I'd make sure that it is made as safe as possible and that the area around his bed is particularly clear so that he can't hurt himself. Other than that, there's little you can do.
KennyUK
Dogsey Senior
Male 

15-03-2015, 11:43 PM
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Kenny, it's not unusual for dogs to be very 'attention seeking' post seizure so maybe he is having absence type seizures as well as grand mal.

I have no personal experience of having a dog suffering seizures, but my lad is epileptic and I know from him that the best way to deal with a seizure is to make the immediate area safe and leave well alone until he starts to come out of it. When he does start to come a little responsive, it's just a matter of dealing with the confusion and reassuring him that everything is OK.

He doesn't remember the fits, just the aftermath which makes him disorientated and very, very tired.

If your dog sleeps in the kitchen, I'd make sure that it is made as safe as possible and that the area around his bed is particularly clear so that he can't hurt himself. Other than that, there's little you can do.
Hi Chris

Thanks for the reply and the good advice.

I think that tomorrow I will clear the kitchen out, its not a large space and the kitchen table and chairs are something I can see Harvey would bump into so I think I will move it into the shed outside - rather do that than worry Harvey will bump into it.

I'm afraid (to my shame and guilt) I did not handle his seizure very well. I didn't know what was happening to him and I became over emotional and scared.

Cant promise I will be any better if, god forbid, he has another seizure but at least I know how I should try to be for his sake.
Page 3 of 62 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 53 > Last »