View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-11-2013, 04:49 PM
The vet is the best person to ask when to expect the pups, he may be able to give you a lot of tips as well.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

27-11-2013, 05:18 PM
LOL most vets aren't that experienced in this situation, mine asks me sometimes!!!! They say I've probably delivered more pups and reared them than they have, then we have heated discussions over raw after that one, because I am only right when it suits them
Monica28
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-11-2013, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
Put a load of newspaper down in the utility and let her dig it up and make a bed, keep old sheets etc handy and then when its all sorted then you can transfer them. Have some old towels handy as well, she will more than likely open the sac, if it is her first litter then she may be confused about what to do and you may have to help her. My older girl helped my younger girl on her first time, then after that she was fine and once she finished cleaning the sac and stimulating them, I gave them a rub over with the towel and put them on her.
I have never ever taken their temp, I watch them, and they still get me on the hop, I only just caught Mabs in time, I knew she was going to do it, but she wanted to have them outside with the others, and I was lucky to catch her. I'd had her in the house most of the time, just letting her out with the others in the afternoon when I sorted stuff out.
Good idea! Very helpful. I keep thinking she might have them this evening because she is so huge now and full of milk. She looks so uncomfortable! She trys to be with me as much as possible and has been sleeping tons since yesterday. Guess I will never know if this is her first litter, since she is a rescue, but she is 2 and 1/2 estimated by shelter. I am just curious to how many she will have (shes 60 lbs) and I want her to have them before I go out of town for Thanksgiving. (Just for one day) but I may have to cancel it because I dont want to leave her by herself.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2013, 09:27 PM
Keep checking this blerdy thread now expecting to read that the PUPS HAVE ARRIVED!
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

27-11-2013, 09:43 PM
No you mustn't leave her on her own, if there are any complications you could lose her. 99.9% of the time everything goes fine and you just help out, but if there is a big one stuck then its a fast trip to the vet.
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-11-2013, 10:15 PM
LOL most vets aren't that experienced in this situation, mine asks me sometimes!!!! They say I've probably delivered more pups and reared them than they have, then we have heated discussions over raw after that one, because I am only right when it suits them
It depends on the vet, some are quite experience with bitches whelping.
Monica28
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-11-2013, 01:23 AM
Originally Posted by Tang View Post
Keep checking this blerdy thread now expecting to read that the PUPS HAVE ARRIVED!
No puppies yet! But they are kicking like crazy. I hope she has them soon

No you mustn't leave her on her own, if there are any complications you could lose her. 99.9% of the time everything goes fine and you just help out, but if there is a big one stuck then its a fast trip to the vet.
And I will not leave her if she goes into labor, I will stay.

Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
The vet is the best person to ask when to expect the pups, he may be able to give you a lot of tips as well.
Thank you I will keep you all updated!
Monica28
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-11-2013, 03:50 AM
Okay guys, I took her out to go potty and she was straining and now has diarrhea. Is this normal?
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

28-11-2013, 08:22 AM
She's not far off. Just a word of warning as regards labour, I have had 2 of mine not give a sign of being in labour and given birth within a couple of hours.
Has she eaten at all
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-11-2013, 09:30 AM
It sounds like she's not far off, I actually made a bed in the kitchen next to the whelping box when my girl was imminent, and will do so again in the future if I breed. As it turned out, it was a good job I kept a close eye on her as she eventually needed an emergency c-section, thankfully she came through absolutely fine, but there is no worse feeling than having to make that sort of decision and then having to sit and wait to hear any news. I hope your girl manages an easy whelp, but do keep a very close eye on her. It's not unusual for them to pop a pup out when they go to the loo, so follow her everywhere.
Page 2 of 20 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »