Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Stormpants
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-05-2012, 04:20 PM

Do Dogs Really Need??

A mixture of all different meats to stay healthy??

Our two are now on Applaws (no carbs) Chicken kibble and we also mix in some raw and Naturediet meat, to give them some variety and add moisture.

They do have beef, tripe, lamb and fish mainly, as these are the main varieties for both the raw and Naturediet foods we buy and we were also giving them rabbit and turkey too. But after I saw how farmed rabbits were kept, we decided not to give them that variety any longer.

So, do you think that the variety of meats we are giving is ok? Cost is an issue, so the frozen and Naturediet foods are more affordable for us than buying meat from the butcher, but they are quite limited, IF dogs do need every type of meat for optimum health.

We also give them Hemp seed, as I read that it has a lot of amino acids in it, but obviously it isn't a meat!
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2012, 04:23 PM
There is plenty of variety in what you are feeding IMO. I give mine Applaws sometimes, it's handy for when we are away. I also feed chicken, turkey, lamb, beef and tripe and try to alternate it.
Stormpants
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-05-2012, 11:12 AM
Thanks Loki's mum!

I guess it is fine what I am feeding them, I am just a bit of a worrier at times.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-05-2012, 11:16 AM
Originally Posted by Stormpants View Post
Thanks Loki's mum!

I guess it is fine what I am feeding them, I am just a bit of a worrier at times.
I would not worry too much - Pereg only has chicken, turkey or fish!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2012, 11:20 AM
I think the dog will tell you that. If you have a contented dog with good coat, poos, energy level and teeth... yes!
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2012, 11:49 AM
I feed a variety as a raw feeder to cover the various nutrients that each different source offers. Lamb will be fattier than chicken, for example, and red meat offers different vitamins and minerals to white meat, some cuts may be different nutritionally even in the same animal, etc.
If I fed a complete food then I wouldn't worry so much about alternating flavours. The food will be supplemented with everything your dog needs and the only reason to alternative would be the mental stimulation of a new flavour - but I'm not sure if that's not just a human concept. Animals in the wild would eat much of the same thing, day in, day out and I don't know if they'd miss having a variety or not.