Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Narka
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-05-2012, 04:43 PM
Originally Posted by Roofs View Post
I have a 16 week old border terrier puppy, initially I started him off on wet food as I thought it was better for him, but now I also feed it along with kibble, he gets Wainwrights wet and JWB kibble. His poos can often be a bit 'soft'.

So I was thinking of changing to Orijen, I find kibble handy as I can use it for clicker training and I can leave him with kibble filled Kongs when I go out to work. He also appears to have gone off the Wainwrights unless it's mixed with kibble (he seems to prefer the texture of the kibble).

How much does Orijen work out to feed per week/month? It's for a 16 week old Border Terrier.

If anyone can give me a rough idea of costs that would be great. Is it the best dry food you can get? I just want a happy healthy puppy (with happy healthy poo!)

Hi there, I had exactly the same concerns when I got my dog and wanted to give him the best quality dog food and it took a while to do a good research and stick to what I am sticking now!

To start with, border terrier is considered to be a small breed so you need to buy the food which states the puppy food for small dogs, because there are different from Orijen for large puppy and small puppy breeds.

Also till 16 weeks old it suggested that your dog was fed 4 times per day and after 16 weeks 3 times per day! After 9 - 12 months you should go for 2 times and also the amount of given food should be decreased as the dog is growing into the adult and doesn't need so much vitamins which is very necessary while a dog is a puppy.

So my dog is over the year now and he is considered large breed so I give him morning and evening 245 grams, which per day comes to 490 grams.

Till 9 months he used to get 3 times per day (breakfast, lunch, dinner) and each time he was given 220 grams which per day came to 660 grams. I know it might sound weird but I have small scale where i weight my dogs food every time I feed him!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2012, 04:48 PM
Two of my GSDs are on Orijen and they are doing really well on it, and appear to enjoy it too.

I may try one of the cheaper grain-free foods after my bags of Orijen have run out to see whether there is any difference.

The reason I started on Orijen is that one of my shepherds had a really itchy skin and feeding Natures Menu stopped that, so decided to try another dry food but a grain-free one to see whether it is an allergy as I suspect it is. He has certainly not been itching anywhere near as much as he was on the Skinners Field & Trial and Arden Grange.
Narka
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-05-2012, 04:56 PM
Originally Posted by talassie View Post
I get a large bag of Orijen fish for Tala at just under £65 with my discount. I thought it lasted about 3 weeks but that cant be right. She has approx 300g a day and the bag is 13.5kg. I'm probably remembering how long it lasted before I reduced her food. Help please from the mathematically inclined!

I have to be careful with her diet as she is prone to putting on weight since she was speyed. But you feed far less of the Orijen anyway so it is good value.
How old is your dog? Which breed is it? How many times you feed her per day?

I have a dog which is considered to be medium-large he is over a year now, he is male and I feed him twice a day 490 grams. He has a very active routine.
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2012, 05:21 PM
Originally Posted by Narka View Post
How old is your dog? Which breed is it? How many times you feed her per day?

I have a dog which is considered to be medium-large he is over a year now, he is male and I feed him twice a day 490 grams. He has a very active routine.
She is a four year old german shepherd. She is fed twice a day 100g in the morning and 150g in the evening. Plus some kibble and the odd piece of chicken taken out on walks, plus a few bedtime biscuits and a flattie. She has a pretty active lifestyle, up to 2 hours walking a day but it varies.

I was told to cut her food by 25% by the vet after she was speyed but as it had been difficult to put weight on her before the operation I didn't take much notice. And of course she put on too much weight. So she had to go on a diet and she is now on maintenance rations. When she went for her vaccination recently the vet said she was perfect, not too fat and not too thin
Narka
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-05-2012, 05:33 PM
Originally Posted by talassie View Post
She is a four year old german shepherd. She is fed twice a day 100g in the morning and 150g in the evening. Plus some kibble and the odd piece of chicken taken out on walks, plus a few bedtime biscuits and a flattie. She has a pretty active lifestyle, up to 2 hours walking a day but it varies.

I was told to cut her food by 25% by the vet after she was speyed but as it had been difficult to put weight on her before the operation I didn't take much notice. And of course she put on too much weight. So she had to go on a diet and she is now on maintenance rations. When she went for her vaccination recently the vet said she was perfect, not too fat and not too thin
Well its always best to stick with experts advice in which case is your vet now! If you been feeding her 250 grams per day of Orijen and your dog looks 'perfect, not too fat not too thin' then its way to go... Also you mentioned giving her some extras, so I believe it totals to 300 grams per day, which I think is good for a spayed bitch 2 hours of exercises is very good too!

I take mine out approximately same, 2 hours in total per day, but he has 3 miles of running with me too 3 times per week. and he is male, so usually males tend to eat more then females and as I mentioned he has a very active routine
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2012, 05:40 PM
Originally Posted by ljru1970 View Post
My pup is on Orijen & some days raw (athough having just vomitted raw sardines I may reconsider )some Nature diet.

Had a look on the sack for you. The feeding guide for 16- 28 weeks is per weight of pup-

3-5kg 120-180g day
5-10kg 180-300 day

I wouldn't think yours wil be over 10kg by 28 weeks if ever.

I got mine online from Nutrevet? Can't remember for around the £50 ish as they had a £5 voucher off deal at the time.
I can't comprehend the mountainous amount of food recommended on the bag..... Bunnie is currently on Purina UR for medicinal purposes and she only gets 100g per day. She weighs 8.4kg. Len would get exactly the same - he weighs 11.9kgs
ljru1970
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-05-2012, 07:18 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
I can't comprehend the mountainous amount of food recommended on the bag..... Bunnie is currently on Purina UR for medicinal purposes and she only gets 100g per day. She weighs 8.4kg. Len would get exactly the same - he weighs 11.9kgs
Is it because they are pups? I don't think mine actually eats the recommended amount, but then as he has raw too it's difficult to really know.
Narka
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-05-2012, 07:37 PM
Originally Posted by zoeyvonne View Post
try viovet i get my orijen from there i find it the cheapest And love orijen
I have checked viovet, but it has only 3 categories and there is not the one which i buy I buy Orijen puppy large.

So far from the people responses the price for 13,5kg of Orijen Puppy large the prices are including delivery:

Nutrecare - 57.99 (http://www.nutrecare.co.uk/cart.asp)
ebay - 57.99 (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Orijen-Pup...item3f10da0ea7)
zooplus - 60.99 (http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/d...en_puppy/44955)
viovet - 60.98 (http://www.viovet.co.uk/-Pet_Foods_D.../category.html)

Guys if you know any other cheaper websites, please let us know!
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2012, 07:39 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I think Orijen is the nearest I can get to raw food in a kibble; excellent quality.

Fortunately I only feed in emergencies and for training as I feed my dogs raw otherwise I would probably be living in a tent by now.

But dogs do well on a variety of products which is why there are literally hundreds of brands.
Have you heard of Ziwipeak? Its excellent - dried meat, NO grains, no fillers. Its not even a kibble. Its fantastic.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2012, 07:47 PM
Originally Posted by MarchHound View Post
Have you heard of Ziwipeak? Its excellent - dried meat, NO grains, no fillers. Its not even a kibble. Its fantastic.

Yes I have had a free sample, unfortunately it does not suit all the purposes I require kibble for. It is, for example, not very good as a training treat or for putting in footsteps for tracking as it is very crumbly and loses its integrity if it rains, unlike Orijen.
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >