Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2011, 10:30 PM

One handler/master

I take the main responsibility for my puppies training. I work with her as much as possible. I posted a thread earlier on about her bad manners when taking treats. After some great advice I have been practicing (and only for tonight). She has come on so much in just these few hours. My OH tries to train her and her does not get the same response as me. For example he will tell her to sit. She will face me and sit, she has little interest him. All focus is on me, I am deep down flattered by this but I would prefere her to be an all family dog. Do some dogs just prefere one person. I have read this about this trairt in GSDs but not really with other breeds. Opinions will greatly be appreciated. x
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2011, 10:40 PM
My dogs listen to me more than my OH - they play my OH off like no ones business, up until I got a baby gate they would beg from my OH's plate but never look at mine.. I take soul responsibility of training - I enjoy it, my OH doesn't and sometimes it's easier if one person trains and everyone else listens - I've had to retrain some things because others have tried for just 10 minutes and managed to untrain the simplest command. So I do training and tell them what he does for what word. Off and down are the words we're tackling now - off means get off, down means lay down - it's not difficult!

Sadie, BCx isn't even my dog and listens to me more than her owners - and we've shared the training there (they see eye to eye with me on command words)

So for the ease of the dog I think one "master" is better but then again Sadie will listen to her owners when I'm not around..
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2011, 11:16 PM
4 of ours take notice of both of us thankfully, we sing from the same song sheet and they listen to which ever one of us speaks.

Only Reah ignores Patrick TBH, but she is my dog and no-one elses, she won't even walk with Pat we went out once and I remembered I had left the camera in the car so I ran back to the car-park.....Pat went on with dogs in tow, well all except Reah who sat patiently waiting for my return all on her own-some, like a billy no mates

Only time Reah takes any notice of Pat is when he comes in, and even then she doesn't jump off the sofa to run to him.....she waits till he comes to her
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2011, 11:30 PM
Rupert is my dog, there's no getting away from that. While he loves Calvin and will happily work with him I'm the more important one as far as he's concerned.

How much does your OH actually do with her? I know Calvin does nowhere near as much with Rupert as I do normally. It's usually me who feeds, walks, trains and plays with him. Calvin does it, it's just that I do it a lot more. I also talk to Rupe a hell of a lot and have spontaneous play sessions while doing housework and silly things like that while Calvin only really talks to him if he's called him up for a cuddle.

Rupe and Calvin have bonded more the last couple of months. They drove to Germany together without me and now are living there without me (temporarily, I'm back in the UK because my dad is very ill) so I've no doubt they'll be even closer when I return.
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2011, 11:49 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
My dogs listen to me more than my OH - they play my OH off like no ones business, up until I got a baby gate they would beg from my OH's plate but never look at mine.. I take soul responsibility of training - I enjoy it, my OH doesn't and sometimes it's easier if one person trains and everyone else listens - I've had to retrain some things because others have tried for just 10 minutes and managed to untrain the simplest command. So I do training and tell them what he does for what word. Off and down are the words we're tackling now - off means get off, down means lay down - it's not difficult!

Sadie, BCx isn't even my dog and listens to me more than her owners - and we've shared the training there (they see eye to eye with me on command words)

So for the ease of the dog I think one "master" is better but then again Sadie will listen to her owners when I'm not around..
wow do you live in my house *looks over shoulder* having exact same thing here!!
This whole off/down thing is doin my nut in, me & the kids say off to get off & down to lie down...he says down for everything
None of my 3 listen to A SINGLE THING the OH asks them to do, if he asks them then theyll come to me as if theyre asking me permission to do it I find it amusing as my youngest son will ask them to do it & theyll do it too...but then the kids come to the training classes with me & practise at home.
He has no interest in training them, infact I think he maybe a bit bored of me talking about it but at the end of the day its what I love doing & I want 3 well mannered dogs

Daft thing is Sasi is 'technically' his I bought her for his birthday (he knew about it) pity she dont listen to him , i do all walks, all feeding, all grooming, all training, clean up the mess, vet visits....u get the picture
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2011, 08:13 AM
Doggies are smart and know the hand that feeds them! Owning the breeds I do, I make sure that the others in the house (I live with OH, alongside my brother and his girlfriend) get involved, mainly by winning the dog's over with their bellies! The dogs still "default" to me but they're getting a lot better with OH now he takes a more active role in their life - he often does the first and last pee breaks, he's started walking them one at a time (he's never had dogs before, let alone big dogs, so had to work up the nerves!), and I've shown up the gist of clicker training so he's working on a couple of tricks with the dogs when I'm not home. The bond is definately strengthening and the dogs are a lot more responsive to him now.
Brother and his girlfriend know where the treats are kept and will play with the dogs - they're not quite as involved with the dogs, they're more like that loved auntie and uncle who bring gifts and games but only have to be listened to seriously every once in a while but I know that if OH and I are away overnight, the dogs are in safe hands and will behave themselves for the most part - a few bad habits might be allowed to slip, like being fed human food from their plates (I'll give them healthy leftovers but they wait until we're done and then have it in their bowls) but nothing major.

So if your OH wants the dog to pay more attention to him, get him involved! Let him feed her one meal a day, do a short training session with her, take her for a short walk - if he wants to be more involved, he has to get himself more involved.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2011, 08:23 AM
When I had my second dog, my husband was home all day and I was out at work.

He fed my dog and took him out, but he was MY dog, and as soon as I walked in the house, he had eyes only for me!
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2011, 08:32 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
When I had my second dog, my husband was home all day and I was out at work.

He fed my dog and took him out, but he was MY dog, and as soon as I walked in the house, he had eyes only for me!
OH always tells me likes the dogs a lot more when I'm not home I do tell him that Kiki would betray me for a pack of sausages in the blink of an eye, but Casper is definately a mummy's boy
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2011, 08:42 AM
My dogs sort of half listen to my oh. Interestingly when zo was in season john took mav to a show.worked a C round with him & got a place
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2011, 09:35 AM
Hes never had dogs before me to be fair. He spends more time with her as he doesnt work (he's now one of the x milllion jobless after graduating this summer ) but I would defintely say I actively engage her more. The other dog will do anything for anyone. She would happily trot off with a stranger
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >