View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sandgrubber
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-01-2015, 02:11 PM
I have a 10 year old, otherwise very healthy Lab who started having occasional focal seizures four years ago. A pyretheroid flea med threw her into an awful, life-threatening cluster seizure attack. Since then she's been on a very low dose (32.4 mg once a day) of phenobarbital. At this dosage she very rarely seizes (maybe twice a year). When she does seize, she loses coordination but stays conscious . . . and wags her tail the whole time. She gets blood tests twice a year. These always show a very small amount of drug in her system, well below what the Merck manual recommends. I'm happy with that.

Bottom line...every case of epilepsy has its own course. If your dog gets put on phenobarb, it's worth experimenting with dosage. Sometimes the disease isn't much of a problem.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2015, 05:26 PM
Gloria - we tried giving Loki his meds in food but he managed to root them and leave them out so now we put them into his throat and massage until they are swallowed. We still give at the same time as food but not in the food, if that makes sense.
sandgrubber
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-01-2015, 10:52 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Gloria - we tried giving Loki his meds in food but he managed to root them and leave them out so now we put them into his throat and massage until they are swallowed. We still give at the same time as food but not in the food, if that makes sense.
Have you tried peanut butter? Works great with my girls.
Glo
New Member!
Female 

21-01-2015, 08:14 AM
Hi yes I used to use peanut butter, but didn't want to make him too fat, but yes I must admit it was easier, perhaps I will try that again. Thanks
sandgrubber
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-01-2015, 05:32 PM
Originally Posted by Glo View Post
Hi yes I used to use peanut butter, but didn't want to make him too fat, but yes I must admit it was easier, perhaps I will try that again. Thanks
Just take four or five pieces of kibble out of the bowl to balance a coating with p'nut butter and the fat problem goes away. Most dogs love it and it's reasonably healthy, though somewhat heavy on fats.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3