Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-02-2010, 07:10 PM

Questions about flyball

I am thinking of doing flyball eventually with Dizzy but I have a couple of questions please.

What age can they begin flyball?
What level of training does she need to have and what sorts of commands does she need to be able to follow?
Is there anything I can do now to begin to prepare her?
Anyone know of a club in south bimingham?

She is fine with other dogs and people, is very ball motivated and is crossed with a kangaroo

Thank you
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2010, 07:39 PM
lol Ali will be interested to see what people say as I would love to give Poppy a go at flyball, although I know she still needs some training...grrrr

x
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2010, 07:46 PM
Skye and Bruce have done it over in Water Orton, they had to be 12 months plus and 18 months for the jumps as they race to and back.

If its a fun one its great, but if like the one in Water Orton, it became a team and they wanted to compete then it can be awkward as they don't like you missing any training etc., as your letting the team down.

Skye and Bruce still do it in our local park during the better waether....a lady just runs a fun/play one on a Thursday
but its not for team competitions.

Most flyball clubs too want you to do thier obedience course first (well round here they do) sutton coldfield, Barr Beacon etc., and obviously join thier club.

Depends on what you want really.

As for the dogs they love it, it does make then hyper though when they are waiting thier turn
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-02-2010, 08:17 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Skye and Bruce have done it over in Water Orton, they had to be 12 months plus and 18 months for the jumps as they race to and back.

If its a fun one its great, but if like the one in Water Orton, it became a team and they wanted to compete then it can be awkward as they don't like you missing any training etc., as your letting the team down.

Skye and Bruce still do it in our local park during the better waether....a lady just runs a fun/play one on a Thursday
but its not for team competitions.

Most flyball clubs too want you to do thier obedience course first (well round here they do) sutton coldfield, Barr Beacon etc., and obviously join thier club.

Depends on what you want really.

As for the dogs they love it, it does make then hyper though when they are waiting thier turn
Ok thanks, not sure what I'd want really I suppose it depends whether or not she's any good. As you have seen for yourself she does have the potential to get a tad distracted when out so I think we may have some work to do before we try it!!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2010, 08:45 PM
Originally Posted by aliwin View Post
Ok thanks, not sure what I'd want really I suppose it depends whether or not she's any good. As you have seen for yourself she does have the potential to get a tad distracted when out so I think we may have some work to do before we try it!!
I think this is why many clubs want you to complete thier obedience course first so that you pass that then go onto flyball.

However having said that our two are ball mad, and flyball certainly keeps them from being distracted

meant to say it makes them competative too....as you can see by mine, especially Bruce who has to be in the lead
JoSimms
New Member!
Female 

03-05-2010, 12:54 PM
I have taken Meg to flyball since she was 8 months old. we started with just some very small jumps and ball retrieval practice as her bones and joints werent set at that age. Gradually she has just progressed really well, and now cant wait for her go on a saturday. We went with only the most basic of training,(a recall and not much else!!) but she has also learnt a lot more from doing the activity. Our team do have competitions, altough they realise that not everyone wants to give up a whole weekend regurlary to attend these so are happy for u just to play for fun.
We also attend local charity events, summer fetes etc to get new members, and thses are a good place to have a look and maybe try your dog.
Sadie hasnt yet picked it up, although she does enjoy running over the small jumps and picking up a ball in return for a biscuit!!
Good luck,