Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
malderine
New Member!
Female 

18-09-2007, 05:04 AM

My two dogs fight

I have an un-neutered male labrador who is 15yrs (that is why he is not neutered. He is a pound rescue) and a german sheperd/husky mix male who is about 5yrs old. They seem to get into these bad fights about once per month. Tonight I had walked both of them and everything was good and then an hour later the sheperd had my lab pinned to the ground bleeding. I don't know what to do. My lab isn't aggressive at all. I know sheperds can be but so far he isn't the dominant one in the relationship. Do you think he is sensing my lab's old age weakness and wanting to take the alpha position between the two? What can I do? I don't see this aggression it just comes out of nowhere when they are alone together... Please help give me ideas or suggestions! Thank you in advance!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2007, 05:08 AM
It's not uncommon for two males to fight for dominance, although I did have two labrador litter mates who never did. There are some behaviour experts on here who, I'm sure, will be along shortly with some sound advice. In the meantime, can you separate them when they are alone?
malderine
New Member!
Female 

18-09-2007, 06:14 PM
Not really. I rescued both of them from the pound. They are outdoors all the time due to my indoor cat. It seems like when ever we go do something like that walk or if I take my sheperd hiking (the lab is too old) when I get home they fight. It has something to do with jealousy. I just don't know what to do.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

18-09-2007, 07:05 PM
How long have you had them?
How long have you had both together?
How long has it been since they started fighting - how long were they 'ok' before that?
Did you get them from the same rescue?
Have you contacted them to ask what they think? (As they know the dogs)
What are the dogs histories? Were any of them dog aggressive before?

These are just some of the things people will want to know before they can offer an opinion..
rob12
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-09-2007, 03:33 AM
I really have to ask. Why do you have two dogs?

Is it, because you can?

Maybe because, you thought that your dog needed - "something" or some-one else??

I have one - and she is such a good companion.

Can't really get my mind about the people that seem to think that their dog needs a "companion"
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2007, 10:59 AM
Originally Posted by rob12 View Post

Is it, because you can?

Maybe because, you thought that your dog needed - "something" or some-one else??

I have one - and she is such a good companion.

Can't really get my mind about the people that seem to think that their dog needs a "companion"
We've just got another dog, partly as a "companion" for Max, partly because I wanted another dog.

Max has been described as "a rubber ball on a lead on speed". We can do a 20 mile walk and he is not tired. He will play throw and catch for over an hour and is not tired.

However, since getting Murphy, they run round like loons all the time, playing chase, plaing with toys. It's the first time he's been truly tired since he was about 7 months old.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2007, 11:09 AM
Originally Posted by rob12 View Post

Sorry I know this is off topic but I had to ask 'what do you mean?'