Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2005, 10:22 AM

When Dogs Fight

If your dog is on the lead and an off-lead dog attacks him and a fight begins to break out, what is the best way to deal with it? I worry about my dog being unable to defend himself while on the lead and about me being dragged into it (don't want to be bitten).
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2005, 01:48 PM
ooh ive never come across this situation yet and behold i dont want to either but when im out with the boys i always carry my riding crop for safety if a dog came to attack my boys i would hit the dog straight on the nose but where i am i am pretty lucky cos no one seems to let there dogs of
Kirsty
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-06-2005, 04:42 PM
Never been in that situation either, I would be tempted to let mine go and finish it. I'm really not sure, probably just keep kicking the other dog
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-06-2005, 05:34 PM
I would never strike the attacking dog as it might attack you, you attacked how would you expect it to react to the aggression.

Look at from a dogs point of view the alpha dog (thats you) should protect the pack members and if you attack another dog he will think that you are protecting the one that it attacked first, so then attention goes to you beat the alpha you win the pack.

Hope the following helps

Encounters between a dog on alead and a loose dog can be volatile, because the dog on the lead tends to feel threatened or trapped.

If you automatically panic when an off-leash dog approaches, the dogs will take a negative cue from your demeanor, try not to create unnecessary tension.
Leave some slack in your dog's leash let the dogs meet briefly, then move on. Talk to your dog in a cheerful voice and offer some treats to relax him and keep his attention focused on you.

Now for a loose dog picks a fight with your dog.

First, be aware that there's a difference between a scuffle and an all-out attack.

Although dog fights sound horrible, they don't necessarily result in serious injury. Sometimes dogs squabble briefly and end the tiff on their own.

A full-blown dog attack is hard to handle, but you can take some steps to minimize the damage.

If you must intervene, grab the attacking dog's hind legs and pull up and away. Carry a spray bottle and squirt the dogs with plain water or use Direct Stop, a citronella spray.

Make loud, sharp noises by yelling or clapping your hands. As a last resort, some pet stores sell chili oil or pepper based sprays that sting, but don't do permanent damage.

Finally, if you have an encounter with an aggressive dog, notify your dog warden or the police.

if any person attacked my dogs with an object what ever it may be,even if the dog was not harmed by them i would go crazy that includes a person kicking/striking them as well.

i know some of you will not agree with me but if you attack another persons dog then you have to be prepared to expect the dog to react to it and possibly start on you if its in a serious fight or the owner if they are around.
no one would like to see their pet dog being attacked either from another dog or person.
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2005, 05:56 PM
Few years ago I was walking my male who was about 2 1/5 years old and my puppy bitch who was approx 8-9 months old, my male was on a halti, I was walking past some shops, and we were all minding our own business, when I suddenly heard a scuffling noise behind me, (no growling or anything) just the sound of dogs rushing up, I turned to see what the noise was, and two SPT were charging at us, I had no time whatso ever before they plowed into both of my dogs, now as I had a halti on my large male is restricted him, the pup backed into some bushes at the side of the path, and as we were on a main road I could not let go of the leads, these two SBT went straight for the back legs of my larger dog, it was pandimodium, I had no option but to keep trying to pull my dogs out of the way, and telling the SBT's to back off,one of the owners did come running up, and tried to call her dogs, they ignored her, I told her get hold of your dogs for christ sake, etc but she would not grab them, next minute the man of the couple came running up, and did manage to get them off, I was absolutely furious, about the attack and told him they sould not be allowed out on the loose if thats how they behave, this man was extremely abusive, telling me my dogs are big enough to handle themselves I in reply said the fact that my dog has a halti on is the only reason, they didnt have their throats ripped out, and that not only were these dogs of his a danger to others they were also a danger to themselves, I was very shook up about the whole thing, and told him that I would report him to the police, he replied so what I eventually tried to continue my walk, but the puppy bitch, was really shaken by the whole thing, my male (well he would have loved to be loose to get them) I did see a police car and flagged it down and explained to them what had happened, they promptly went to this fella and gave him a warning, this happened on a main road, in full view to many people, who lived locally, so I think possibly if anything else did happen, once this fella had been given the warning, he would hopefully be very careful in the future.

Mo
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2005, 06:03 PM
This is a bit similar to this thread also

http://www.dogweb.co.uk/talkdogs/showthread.php?t=13291
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-06-2005, 06:12 PM
I think what happened to you MO is what would happen to most ppl caught up in the same situation you going round in circles trying your best to keep your dogs out of harms way.

As for the male owner well it just goes to show that he don't care for his own dogs if he come sout with a statament like "they are big enough to look after themselves" witch says to me that he wouldn't be bothered if his dogs were in a full on fight with your two.

I hope the pup involved was not to affected by itas at a young age it can taint them with the bad memory one of my boxers was attacked by GSD and from that day on all GSD were branded the same in here eyes sad i know but these things happen.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-06-2005, 06:20 PM
Originally Posted by myschievous
This is a bit similar to this thread also

http://www.dogweb.co.uk/talkdogs/showthread.php?t=13291
Yes but in the other thread it was two family dogs fighting not strange dogs
also in the other thread no one mentioned striking the other dog(this i only put down to the difference in the two family to a stranger how you would treat other peoples dogs).
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2005, 12:19 AM
No Leo, if you click the link it is a different thread to the one you think I mean. The one I added the link to was made as a result of a person reading the one you mean and then making a new post regarding what you should do when out on a walk if a fight breaks out between your dog and someone else's.

Click the link and you will see

Just thought some of the replies made in that post may help people looking here.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-06-2005, 06:37 AM
Originally Posted by myschievous
No Leo, if you click the link it is a different thread to the one you think I mean.
Yes your right myschievous they are the same but the comments are different between the two on the same subject some comments are distrubing.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >