Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Nikki
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-02-2013, 04:05 PM

A few questions...

I've a few questions on feeding raw.

1, Max is putting two much weight on for my liking and was wondering if switching to raw would help him lose? He's currently fed butchers and mixer and has treats when training (agility and obedience)

2, How much would a 9kgish dog need?

3, How's the best way to start?

4, what do people do on holidays? eg camping, carvaning?
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-02-2013, 04:12 PM
Dogs can put on weight on raw too but I have found it far easier to get them to lose it again than I ever did on kibble.
2-3% of ideal body weight so for 9kgs would be 180grms - 270grms in total each day. My 11kg dog has 185 grms and is at a stable weight.
I started by giving chicken mince and chicken wings and gradually added more variety.
My lot go in kennels when I go on holiday so I fill the kennels freezer up with bagged up individual meals for the lot of them.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2013, 10:32 AM
as trouble said 2-3% of body weight is the norm, if they are a bit overweight now id start with 2%.

i switched mine over cold turkey. completely took the dog food away and they went full raw.

start with one meat, so say chicken. chicken wings or carcass for bone, chicken liver for offal, minces etc. after a couple of weeks, if you see no bad affects with the chicken add another meat in maybe beef.

mine have a wide variety now and i love feeding raw

when i go on holiday if they dont come, they stay at home with my family, but if i had to put them in kennels i would bag individual meals for them.

ive taken one of mine camping, and took certain raw meals frozen, what i didnt have, i got from the supermarket, it works out a bit more expensive, but when i was only going for a weekend, i took the meals that were ok, so tinned fish, and egg, then the mince or bone i needed, frozen.