View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2011, 09:57 PM
the worse handling in all disciplines happen 'behind the scenes'.

i do think its much a fuss about nothing.(the handling in the ring)
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2011, 11:18 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
I think describing it as "shocking" handling is a tiny bit over the top. I didn't see anything that could be described as "shocking" at all. I see dog handling from Joe Public every time I'm out that could be described as "shocking", but at Crufts last night? no way.

Seems like those who are anti dog showing are trying to make something out of nothing again. If you don't like watching dog shows, there is nothing forcing you to sit in front of the screen and watch.
Yes I do get the feeling this thread was started purely to make a fuss, bit of trolling going on IMO. As usual it's people seeing what they want to see, anti show'ers will say the dogs were panting, hot, stressed, choking etc. Pro show'ers will say all the dogs were having a wonderful time etc. Me, from an unbiased view (I show, but feel show dogs should still be fit for/to function) felt that the majority of dogs were doing what they were trained to do - show off. Didn't see anything shocking that's for sure, in fact I thought the gundog group was the best group so far. But then I probably am a bit biased there!

Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
And some like to pull things to pieces, mainly because they are jealous. I didnt see any dog "choked" Im certain if it were it would have coughed at the very least, did you hear a dog cough? I saw an overseas (I think) handler get between the dog and the judge, bad handling nothing more. Keeping a lead taught doesnt choke a dog, if people were more "aware" of that they would do a lot better, IMO of course, and its not directed at anyone in particular.
Oh yes, that was the ESS handler. Silly woman! I do believe I screamed "WHAT ARE YOU DOING WOMAN???!!!!" School boy error that one.
Originally Posted by Wyrd View Post
Was that the red collie? I watched it again this morning and it looked like he hit him I think it was a nervous pat and ended up smacking him in the face (which can happen, I elbowed Cooper in the face this morning )

I don't really know a lot about Braccos, but it looked very upright to me, is that they way they move as the commentators were both saying how well it moved?
Yes that's typical Bracco movement. Braccos and Spins move differently from most other breeds.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-03-2011, 11:48 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
I have to ask tho, if it has been a long day for the dog, he is tired and not holding his head up does this not say that he is now not enjoying it??
Personaly I would have thought if the dogs are supposed to walk with their heads held up shouldnt they hold them up theirselves? If they are being artificialy lifted isnt that a bit like a horse having its head held up - it then causes it to walk in a different way?
There is another explanation you have not considered>

Some dogs hang their heads , not due to tiredness, but because other dogs have also walked the same path, and they like to sniff at the ground. for smells and dropped food, nothing to do with being tired,

A tired dog will show its tired in his movement, not simply by dropping his head.

Did you watch the Portuguese Water dog, poor thing , simply lost his luster on his run, that was a tired dog!

Regards horses walking a different way, when the head is lifted (artificially or naturally) the horse will walk with a lighter gait, a more natural movement, with the head falling , gravity impinges the natural movement.

the only time you will see a horse walking with his head to the ground is when he is eating or ill,

A bit like a dog really, they hold the head erect to balance out their movement.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 11:55 AM
I am struggling to work out how why a 'natural' gait has to be artificially helped?

rune
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 02:23 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
There is another explanation you have not considered>

Some dogs hang their heads , not due to tiredness, but because other dogs have also walked the same path, and they like to sniff at the ground. for smells and dropped food, nothing to do with being tired,

But not if they are trained to do a job?? The obedience HWtM and agility dogs dont need their heads held up

A tired dog will show its tired in his movement, not simply by dropping his head.

Did you watch the Portuguese Water dog, poor thing , simply lost his luster on his run, that was a tired dog!

I didnt see that, shame, and of course they will look tired in other ways, I was just responding to people who said they needed their heads held up because they were tired - I thing thats wrong

Regards horses walking a different way, when the head is lifted (artificially or naturally) the horse will walk with a lighter gait, a more natural movement, with the head falling , gravity impinges the natural movement.

yes, but when the horses head is held even higher than it would choose naturaly to hold its head that high it will walk differently than it would naturally - same with dogs

the only time you will see a horse walking with his head to the ground is when he is eating or ill,

Yes I know this, I am talking about old fashions we used to have using devices (bearing rein springs to mind??) to hold the horses head unaturaly high to make it step higher

A bit like a dog really, they hold the head erect to balance out their movement.
Yup, but I am talking about the dogs having their heads HELD up there, that must change their movment and so is that not 'cheating'
why do the dogs have to be onlead at all?
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 02:25 PM
Yup, but I am talking about the dogs having their heads HELD up there, that must change their movment and so is that not 'cheating'
why do the dogs have to be onlead at all?
because if they arent on lead, you arent seen to have full control of them.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 03:21 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
because if they arent on lead, you arent seen to have full control of them.
You mean like the obedience and HTM and other demo dogs?

rune
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 03:27 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
You mean like the obedience and HTM and other demo dogs?

rune
i can remember reading it somewhere that you have to hold your dogs lead at all times so you have full control of the dogs at all times. showing isnt obedience and HTM, its showing. yes in the other sports the owners have control of the dog while they are doing it, but watching agility online when the dogs have finished the course, they have got their toy and gone away from the owner etc. also would you expect the flyball dogs to be loose when they werent running? they have harnesses on most of them and the owners hold them until its their turn to run, is it ok for them to have the harnesses on, but a show dog could/should be shown with out a lead? really

daphni would do it without a lead, ive tried it at ring craft
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 03:32 PM
Show dogs are not robots - their like any other dogs..without a lead on for control mine would be off playing with others in the ring.... I hate to see a dog acting like a robot and there are a few around - where the training over takes the fun.
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 03:34 PM
In Germany in the adult classes the GSD is shown on & off lead. I love watching it. They did it this year at the British Seiger held just outside Birmingham. Its very different from obedience though where except where the dog is stationary in a stay only one dog at a time is in the ring.
Page 9 of 28 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 19 > Last »